Tangled restrooms opening date

DisneyGuyNYC

When you asked for a refund on your ticket to Animal Kingdom because the Yeti was broken, what was the response?
I didn't ask for a refund but I would be perfectly reasonable to do so. Instead I chose the lesser option of discussion with other fans of what I did and didn't like from my trip before I went ahead and drop another thousand dollars on another trip.

If I didn't enjoy a movie or parts of a movie I wouldn't necessarily ask for a refund I would discuss it with friends or on a movie discussion board later since that is my interest and I, as a paying customer, am allowed to give feedback.

DisneyGuyNYC

I don't know if its due to my art background but I see criticism and negativity as two different things. Critiscm is used to try to make something better (whether that actually can or will happen is another discussion) and negativity is just being miserable for the sake of being miserable and bringing everyone along with you. I'd be naive to say that at times these forums don't have both. I think it's just human nature. But in the instance of this particular thread I see a lot of positive comments balanced with criticism. I think up until recently it's been a healthy, rational and interesting conversation.

I think we should probably get it back on track at this point.

I haven't seen the area in person but the photos are beautiful. I'm glad to see trees in fantasayland and happy that they kept water in the area :)
100%. Being negative does not mean being an intelligent critical thinker. Being a critical thinker does not make you negative. Especially when money is being spent for an exchange of goods and services. That's just customer reviews.

dreamscometrue

In case anyone just jumping into this thread doesn't have time to read all 37 pages, or even since Steve posted the photo link today on page 28, I'll summarize the entire thread. I will use my right of creative licence to paraphrase:

News (Steve's photos)..."Stunning...detail but no substance...I love it...Disney used to be great a long time ago...it still is awesome...no, you're ignorant, you don't understand...it's still great...Universal's great now...MK needs a new e-ticket...I wish Horizons would come back...Kungaloosh...the troll's back...Disney is still practically perfect and I love going to WDW...you're stupid, you shouldn't...drift, drift, drift...there's not too much wrong at WDW...everything's wrong...it was great back in ol' 1971...Universal is the best place in the world now...no, WDW's better...what the hell was this thread about ayway?" ***

***This summary can be used for practically every thread in the 'News and Rumors' section of WDWMagic. :)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
In case anyone just jumping into this thread doesn't have time to read all 37 pages, or even since Steve posted the photo link today on page 28, I'll summarize the entire thread. I will use my right of creative licence to paraphrase:

News (photos)..."Stunning...detail but no substance...I love it...Disney used to be great a long time ago...it still is awesome...no, you're ignorant, you don't understand...it's still great...Universal's great now...MK needs a new e-ticket...I wish Horizons would come back...Kungaloosh...the troll's back...Disney is still practically perfect and I love going to WDW...you're stupid, you shouldn't...drift, drift, drift...there's not too much wrong at WDW...everything's wrong...it was great back in ol' 1971...Universal is the best place in the world now...no, WDW's better...what the hell was this thread about ayway?" ***

***This summary can be used for practically every thread in the 'News and Rumors' section of WDWMagic. :)
You forgot the bathroom humor. Please don't disregard the bathroom humor.

DisneyGuyNYC

I love WDW. I feel positive about everything about it. It is my favorite place in the world. I can only imagine what it takes to operate and maintain a resort of this magnitude that has millions of people visiting it each year. Over 20 visits and never once a bad experience. Attractions are going to break, attractions are going to be shut down for various reasons, other visitors aren't always going to act the way "we" think they should. My high opinion of WDW is just that, my opinion. I think that they do a fantastic job and am not trying to "guide" anybody or anything. I'll leave the guiding to the Jungle Cruise boat captains.
Sure. It's fine to expect less than perfection and to be understand of the difficulty of maintaining a great experience for everyone. I don't think anyone here DISLIKES Disney World. I don't think anyone here has a bad (or even mediocre) time there. I think they LOVE it. They get that an attraction might break.

It's also perfectly rational to want a place you love to be maintained and to be upset when you see a dirty bathroom or money being spent in the wrong places, especially if you're a shareholder in the company. It's okay to review a ride and not love every single one.

We're each expressing OUR opinions. You can't control our opinions and you need to respect them.

The park should act the way "we," the customer, want it to. Or people won't go and it will close... even if that takes 300 years. We're fans who want the best for it and I think it's fair for us to disagree with them leaving THE major ride of an entire amusement park broken for an extremely extended period of time. I don't think that's asking too much or shooting for the stars. I don't think that's expecting perfection.

The_Mesh_Hatter

This is an interesting thought, because my guess is, at first, most people would agree with you, but as I dwell on it, I think I would prefer Mermaid as is, rather than if Mermaid were a bonafide E-ticket equal to Transformers, but housed on the 20K pad in a giant warehouse dressed up with flats and murals, that damaged the wider environments and park aesthetic:

As mentioned by Flynn and others, it is really a compromise that needs to be sought. I am a big proponent of rides, but I am as big a proponent of environments. With FLE, the wider environment is still substance, even if the central ride (the payoff) doesn't live up to expectations.

Another thought: just like when a Studio invests heavily and hires the right talent, sometimes movies still flop if they don't come together in the right way. The Studios don't intend for them to flop. It seems like Mermaid had a healthy budget - not like the Co. was thinking "we'll give the people a mediocre ride and dress it up like it's a great ride." I think the higher ups fully intended that Mermaid would be smash hit across demos ($115m budget?), and it was then on the designers to deliver that experience. I think the decision to use the omnimover as the ride system was the trip-up (as opposed to the swooping overhead track envisioned for Paris (or more expensive LPS once considered for MK).

While the Transformers facade has obvious shortcomings in aesthetics, it works. The attraction has an industrial feel, so a industrial exterior doesn't clash. When people say they would have rather had a lesser facade like Transformers for a better ride, they don't mean they'd accept Transformers facade. That would be silly as an industrial themed facade would make sense. They just mean a Fantasyland analogue of the Transformers facade. Something like the old tent facades which are already acceptable.

Peter-Pan.jpg

is to

Transformers_The_Ride_facade_at_Universal_Studios_Hollywood.jpg

as

P8107952.JPG

is to

PB153557.JPG

Although the latter two are obviously of superior, none of these facades clash with their surroundings. Likewise when people suggest surrendering the detailed Little Mermaid facade in favor of a mediocre facade, they are implying it will still fit with its surroundings as the Peter Pan facade does. (The Transformers doesn't clash with its environment mainly because the environment is a studios. None of the other rides make attempts to hide their show buildings. The Orlando version, while still themed to a warehouse, is more subtle to fit in a more theme conscience environment. I wasn't sure which Transformers facade you were referring to so I just chose the Hollywood).

RandySavage

^ Without getting into to how well or poorly Transformers Orlando works/clashes with its themed neighboring areas and buildings... my visual was a tongue-in-cheek exaggeration, but I'm glad you posted the Pan analogy because that is a better comparison. What if a Pan-style fiberglass tent facade were built where the 20K lagoon edge was (with none of the FLE accoutrement, but an outstanding Mermaid E-ticket went in instead?

It'd be much tougher to pick (flip of a coin), but I think I still might prefer the more enveloping 5-star environment of FLE with an okay ride, over a weak environment and a kick-a ride. I'm likely in the minority there, though.

As we all can agree: Disney should be doing both.

DisneyGuyNYC

^ Without getting into to how well or poorly Transformers Orlando works/clashes with its themed neighboring areas and buildings... my visual was a tongue-in-cheek exaggeration, but I'm glad you posted the Small World analogy because that would be a much apt comparison. What if a Small World style fiberglass tent facade were built but an outstanding Mermaid E went in instead?

It's be much tougher to pick, but I think I still might prefer the more enveloping 5-star environment with decent but not great ride, over a weak environment and a kick-a ride. I'm likely in the minority there.
It's a balancing act but I think the issue is that MK has some pretty solid (not great, solid) theming right now but only a couple 5-star rides. I think people feel the balance was a little off before and now is way, way too far in the direction of beauty over thrills.

rioriz

I think calling something a waste of money is a perfectly rational response. If they made an amazing chair for guests to sit in made entirely of diamonds and gold and using 485 imagineers to make it stunning and perfectly comfortable and spent a cool $1 billion on it I think it would be rational to say they threw away some money. I think It's similarly rational to think they threw away a lot of cash on some bathrooms that don't match their surroundings and an Expansion and re-theming that doesn't have much going on...

Regardless of the money spent, you do not like the project because it does not match the surroundings? fair

And to me that is judging the project individually...sans how much it cost (which no one seems to have posted how much it cost really...could be tied to the upcoming Pan queue overhaul) or what we "could've" had. I accepted a long time ago I do not run Disney and they do not make decisions per my own interest. The decisions they make I either choose to like them or don't. Once I understood that, I can learn to appreciate (or not) the results of decisions they have made. And looking at this project I can accept it and appreciate it for what it is, a very nice atmospheric upgrade that will help clear the former bottleneck and offer opportunity to expand Pan's queue

PhotoDave219

The "design point" was a few seconds with a animatronic figure as opposed to the ride itself? Do you also complain about getting wet on Kali? Do you gripe to the Cast Member driving the jeep on the safari if the giraffes don't sing, dance and pose long enough for you? How about those darn hippos that spend so much time underwater? And why isn't Aerosmith themselves performing daily on "their" roller coaster? No real mermaids on Pirates of the Caribbean either. And dagnabit, the Presidents ought to come off the stage and interact with each audience member too. You people would win the Powerball and complain about having to go pick up the check.

I seem to recall trying to be nice to you and respecting your opinion. Instead, you choose to lambast others for equally having an opinion that just happens to differ from yours.

You're just a common troll adding nothing constructive to the argument.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The "design point" was a few seconds with a animatronic figure as opposed to the ride itself? Do you also complain about getting wet on Kali? Do you gripe to the Cast Member driving the jeep on the safari if the giraffes don't sing, dance and pose long enough for you? How about those darn hippos that spend so much time underwater? And why isn't Aerosmith themselves performing daily on "their" roller coaster? No real mermaids on Pirates of the Caribbean either. And dagnabit, the Presidents ought to come off the stage and interact with each audience member too. You people would win the Powerball and complain about having to go pick up the check.

I can go to any Six Flags park and ride a coaster that is just as thrilling (and often more so) then Everest. I pay the premium price to go to Disney because of the things that elevate their attractions beyond what I can get at other amusement/theme parks. Some of the problems with WDW are forgivable, but the Yeti isn't one of them.

Personally I also enjoy my vacations to Disney and most of the problems don't negatively effect my enjoyment.... yet.... and that is my concern. I don't want to see thing decline to the point where they really start to effect my enjoyment.

TP2000

^ Without getting into to how well or poorly Transformers Orlando works/clashes with its themed neighboring areas and buildings... my visual was a tongue-in-cheek exaggeration, but I'm glad you posted the Pan analogy because that is a better comparison. What if a Pan-style fiberglass tent facade were built where the 20K lagoon edge was (with none of the FLE accoutrement, but an outstanding Mermaid E-ticket went in instead?

I'm not a huge fan of Universal Studios parks, but another good thing to keep in mind is that the original Transformers ride that opened last year, opened at Universal Studios Hollywood. Many who have never been to California might not realize it, but Universal Studios is first and foremost an actual working studio; big TV shows and an endless stream of major motion pictures are filmed there every day of the week, since the 1920's. The theme park business is secondary, and has largely been relegated to the "upper lot" in the Hollywood Hills.

Universal Studios Hollywood theme park - "Upper Lot"
Universal_City_Walk_and_Studios.jpg

But in the 1990's the theme park expanded down the hill to the "Lower Lot", which is still primarily a working studio. They let the tram tours go through much of it, depending on filming schedules, but they built the massive "StarWay" escalator system down the hill to open up a few new rides; Jurassic Park River Adventure, E.T. which became The Mummy coaster, a few smaller industry exhibits and a restaurant, and now Transformers The Ride.

Universal Lower Lot - Over a dozen giant working studio buildings, with outdoor production sets beyond
3384754638_246f2cc395_z.jpg

Can you spot the Transformers The Ride building in that shot? Probably not, because it's just one of many legit studios that are actively creating TV shows and movies on the day you visit the theme park section. But in that context, the Transformers The Ride warehouse building works brilliantly. And since everyone who goes down that StarWay will have already taken the 90 minute tram tour past and through many of these studios, they have a valid point of reference for such a building to exist there.

Meanwhile, in Orlando, they have built a fake "Movie Studio" in the form of a late 20th century theme park. Nothing related to the actual movie business ever happens there, it's all just fake and for show. The convenient thing is that they can build new rides and save a ton of money by themeing their buildings as "studios" in a pretend environment. It's quite a different thing, really.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It'd be nice if we could pick up the pace though. You know where this goes from here, we know where this goes from here, let's just get there already.

If these accounts are all one person... they really need help. The amount of suspect puppet accounts that pop up here is disturbing to say the least. When they graduate to creating multiple accounts to talk to themselves - you know they've crossed over into disturbed. Spammer I get.. it's a business (tho shady one I'd like to purge).. but those who do it purely to draw attention to themselves or try to manipulate.. mentally disturbed.

PhotoDave219

If these accounts are all one person... they really need help. The amount of suspect puppet accounts that pop up here is disturbing to say the least. When they graduate to creating multiple accounts to talk to themselves - you know they've crossed over into disturbed. Spammer I get.. it's a business (tho shady one I'd like to purge).. but those who do it purely to draw attention to themselves or try to manipulate.. mentally disturbed.

I have my thoughts. Gonna suggest its a Patty Melt. The other would be someone who has an axe to grind (in his mind) with everyone.

RandySavage

The convenient thing is that they can build new rides and save a ton of money by themeing their buildings as "studios" in a pretend environment. It's quite a different thing, really.

Good points. I'm not overly familiar with USO, but I think Transformers Orlando abuts and bookends nicely-detailed areas ("sets?") themed to NYC & Hollywood. Studio parks have leniency in their theme-ing, but I would have hoped that Transformers Orlando's exterior would have been woven into those surroundings (e.g. an Old Brooklyn brick & mortar warehouse taken over by NEST, on the the New York facing side, continue the brownstone tenement facades).

Californian Elitist

I'm not a huge fan of Universal Studios parks, but another good thing to keep in mind is that the original Transformers ride that opened last year, opened at Universal Studios Hollywood. Many who have never been to California might not realize it, but Universal Studios is first and foremost an actual working studio; big TV shows and an endless stream of major motion pictures are filmed there every day of the week, since the 1920's. The theme park business is secondary, and has largely been relegated to the "upper lot" in the Hollywood Hills.

Universal Studios Hollywood theme park - "Upper Lot"
Universal_City_Walk_and_Studios.jpg

But in the 1990's the theme park expanded down the hill to the "Lower Lot", which is still primarily a working studio. They let the tram tours go through much of it, depending on filming schedules, but they built the massive "StarWay" escalator system down the hill to open up a few new rides; Jurassic Park River Adventure, E.T. which became The Mummy coaster, a few smaller industry exhibits and a restaurant, and now Transformers The Ride.

Universal Lower Lot - Over a dozen giant working studio buildings, with outdoor production sets beyond
3384754638_246f2cc395_z.jpg

Can you spot the Transformers The Ride building in that shot? Probably not, because it's just one of many legit studios that are actively creating TV shows and movies on the day you visit the theme park section. But in that context, the Transformers The Ride warehouse building works brilliantly. And since everyone who goes down that StarWay will have already taken the 90 minute tram tour past and through many of these studios, they have a valid point of reference for such a building to exist there.

Meanwhile, in Orlando, they have built a fake "Movie Studio" in the form of a late 20th century theme park. Nothing related to the actual movie business ever happens there, it's all just fake and for show. The convenient thing is that they can build new rides and save a ton of money by themeing their buildings as "studios" in a pretend environment. It's quite a different thing, really.

Truth, truth, truth.

I believe Transformers opened in Singapore before Hollywood, though. Universal's been making films since even earlier than the 20s. Damon and Pythias was Universal's first movie, shot on the same lot in Hollywood, and that was released in 1914.;) Other than those two remarks, great explanation, TP, as always!

NemoRocks78

Seized

News (photos)..."Stunning...detail but no substance...I love it...Disney used to be great a long time ago...it still is awesome...no, you're ignorant, you don't understand...it's still great...Universal's great now...MK needs a new e-ticket...I wish Horizons would come back...Kungaloosh...the troll's back...Disney is still practically perfect and I love going to WDW...you're stupid, you shouldn't...drift, drift, drift...there's not too much wrong at WDW...everything's wrong...it was great back in ol' 1971...Universal is the best place in the world now...no, WDW's better...what the hell was this thread about ayway?" ***

tumblr_m05woryvER1r5hsoxo1_400.gif

Can we just shut News & Rumors down and leave that up in its place? :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom