Tablets in the parks...

jlevis

Original Poster
why? On this last trip I saw at least 6 people taking photograhs using a tablet. Why would you lug one around when point and shoot cameras are so small? Heck, even my Nikon D40 is easier to deal with than my tablet.

real mad hatter

I couldn't agree more Jlevis. I was gobsmacked when I saw people using them to take photos,what with the technology of small cameras nowadays,even our new one this year,an olympus which is the size of a mobile phone,so small I've got to put on my glasses to use it,and as you say,why would anyone want to lug it around the parks is beyond me.

Clamman73

I'm gonna have both my point and shoot and my iPad3 when I go on October. With the park-wide wifi, I'm hoping that I'll be able to take a picture with the iPad and send it in an email to family who aren't going to be with me this trip. (that's if there's a good connection) That or you can send a tweet very easily direct from iPad/iPhone at an instant.

I will also use my regular camera for getting highest picture quality possible and HD video.

And also, with the iPad, I'm going to keep a journal of my days at the Parks.

Tinkerkell

I have a Trident case on my ipad, making it heavy/clunky to carry all day. I can understand wanting to email photos to family (my dh isn't traveling with us next month, and I know he'd love to see the kids enjoying themselves), but I can't imagine carrying the ipad all day. I'm going to use my old fashioned point and shoot camera and will pull out my ipod touch once in a while for photos to email and Facebook.

Now that wifi will be available in all of the parks, I think we'll be seeing more and more tablets being used at WDW. Not everyone has a smart phone, so for some people tablets are the way they will keep in touch with those at home.

Uncle Lupe

I've already see them showing up in videos with people using them to record events. I do not like to see this coming. It can be bad enough to look around peoples heads during events. Let alone if they are holding a tablet like they are in Say Anything.

50316_93629132760_6736580_n.jpg

draybook

I saw this happening at all of our cheer competitions last season. It was hilarious to see 30+ moms holding up iPads to record the routines. And these people could spend $40 for a cheap point and shoot and get better pictures and simply send them when they get back to the resort or home. Hey, to each their own, as long as it doesn't interfere with my vacation.

G00fyDad

I'm taking my tablet on our next trip. However, I will use my camera to take photos because I am not a pretentious (you know what) that has to "show off" the capabilities of my tablet to everyone. Yes, we know that a tablet can take photos, and yes, we know that you are only holding it up and taking a picture with it because you want everyone to see the money you wasted on an iPad. People need to stop acting like everyone else is so amazed at their magical device that is taking snapshots. I'll be taking mine (keeping it in the backpack) to do various other things on, as well as waste time while in a long line for a ride, but not for photos. My regular P&S takes far better quality photos.

ratherbeinwdw

I'm gonna have both my point and shoot and my iPad3 when I go on October. With the park-wide wifi, I'm hoping that I'll be able to take a picture with the iPad and send it in an email to family who aren't going to be with me this trip. (that's if there's a good connection) That or you can send a tweet very easily direct from iPad/iPhone at an instant.

I will also use my regular camera for getting highest picture quality possible and HD video.

And also, with the iPad, I'm going to keep a journal of my days at the Parks.
To each his own. I'm sure they all have goods reasons why are using their tablets rather than something else.
Amen. My daughter used hers to Skpe with her friend who couldn't go to Disney. She could actually see what we were doing; not just have still shots. It make her feel like she got to experience something new she may never get to do until she is on her own. My daughter does not have an IPad, she has a Streak that has a two-sided camera for Skpe and built-in WiFi. It's only a 7 inch, so it isn't very intrusive or heavy. People could have all kinds of reasons for using their tablets. Where's the love?

BrightImagine

Just because it looks big and flashy doesn''t mean that the person is pretentious or trying to show it off. It may be the only camera they have with them at the moment. I know a number of people who've chosen a tablet over a full sized computer for cost reasons.

Britt

Oh my gosh....thats hilarious.

Im bringing my iPad, but only so I can watch movies on the plane and during downtime in the room with the kiddos. It wont be coming to the parks. That image would make me LOL.

I love the bathroom mirror pics people take with their tablet...haha

Clamman73

A promise to all: I will not use my iPad during any fireworks show or hold it over my head at any time...sing it now "In your eyes"

But seriously, I was hoping the new Ipod Touch will be out by late October with a decent camera. I would be more inclined to use that instead of the iPad.
Also, the Ipad mini is coming out too, so wait until everyone has one of those at the Parks!

Hulacat

Maybe they are using it to monitor crowd levels from Touring Plans.com- or they have all their trip plans & ADR's on them? I don't have an Ipad or a smartphone, so I simply brave the crowds & hope for the best lines.

On the tech topic- I keep seeing all these phone addicts who wander WDW with their eyes glued to their facebook (or angry birds). We sat next to a family in Epcot who let their kids play phone games during an attraction- nice glowing screen, Morons. Then on the way out, a college age girl wouldn't stop updating Facebook (so she walked verrrry slowly, holding up the exiting line-until a ticked off Hulacat mentioned that "people need to get off their phones and LIVE in the moment!!:mad: ). I guess I channeled my Dad- he was alot like Sam The Eagle;) (muppet).

BrittanyRose428

I don't understand the tablet thing either. I wouldn't want to carry one around the parks, if I wanted to send a picture to someone at home right away I would just use my cell phone. Most cell phones have the ability to send emails, a tablet isn't necessary to send pictures right away. I work on the Freedom Trail in Boston, and it blows my mind sometimes to see the tourists walking the trail with their face looking down at a tablet, or the people who clearly use it for all of their vacation pictures.

We were behind a large family (8 or 9 people) that took up the first two rows of the Great Movie Ride. Three of them recorded the entire ride: one iPad, one phone and one camera! Your whole family is here! Who else is going to want to watch your entire video of the Great Movie Ride? Do you really want to watch it again yourself? It was strange watching that, but I think I was more befuddled than annoyed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom