Tablets in the parks...

G00fyDad

It makes zero sense to me. Intact, apart fron the front facing cameras for Skype, FaceTime, etc. I don't see the use for a camera on a tablet at all. Why? If you've got a tablet you've probably got a nice phone which has a nicer camera built in. Even the newest iPad only has a 5mp camera as opposed to the new 4s 8mp. It doesn't even meet the old 4's camera. And newer phones are starting to get even better than that. And without a massive bulky package. Someone, please explain this to me!

Like I said before, it is all about showing the world that you spent far too much on an iPad. "Look at me!! Don't you envy me?" That's okay. I have a phone for phone calls, a tablet for mobile computing, and a camera to take photos. They all do their jobs perfectly. I see these "soccer moms" at my kids school each time we're there for some function. 200 tablets in the air showing off to one another. Its really kind of pathetic. We watched a slideshow one high-maintenance mom made with photos from her iPad. She was so proud, standing there beaming and smiling at every one of us with a look on her face that just screamed "You wish you were me!" and all the while people were squinting at the 60" HDTV screen she was showing the photos on because her iPad sucks for photos. LOL

koryadams

Maybe they don't have cameras and use their tablets because they take good pictures? My phone now has a better camera than my digital camera. So now I take photos with both, but I wouldn't use my ipad (but if it was HD, then maybe) but probably not

Mikester71

I would be more worried about losing or wrecking it actually. What do these people do with them when they are on rides, especially rides where there's a chance of getting wet?! And then to actually have to "lug" it around with me all day - no thanks! Great for watching movies or getting online back in your room, or on the plane or car ride there and back, but doesn't make much sense to actually have one in the parks. Like others have said, these newer phones can pretty much do it all anyways, so why not just stick with it while in the parks.

Kramerica

Like I said before, it is all about showing the world that you spent far too much on an iPad. "Look at me!! Don't you envy me?" That's okay. I have a phone for phone calls, a tablet for mobile computing, and a camera to take photos. They all do their jobs perfectly. I see these "soccer moms" at my kids school each time we're there for some function. 200 tablets in the air showing off to one another. Its really kind of pathetic. We watched a slideshow one high-maintenance mom made with photos from her iPad. She was so proud, standing there beaming and smiling at every one of us with a look on her face that just screamed "You wish you were me!" and all the while people were squinting at the 60" HDTV screen she was showing the photos on because her iPad sucks for photos. LOL

It's obnoxious to say in the least. Maybe these people think that because their device has a camera they MUST use it.

Maybe they don't have cameras and use their tablets because they take good pictures? My phone now has a better camera than my digital camera. So now I take photos with both, but I wouldn't use my ipad (but if it was HD, then maybe) but probably not

That's just the thing. tablets take really, really crappy pictures.

wilkeliza

It makes no since. I'm not even sure why the tablets have actual cameras. Cut the weight (and price) by just having the low res front facing camera for skype and facetime.

It bothers me all the time when people film any kind of experience like shows or concerts (worst of all theatre but that's a whole different rant) technically all of these shows are covered under the copy write laws and shouldn't be filmed anyways but no one cares about that. I honestly think with all our gadgets we have lost the ability to enjoy what we are seeing. How many times do you see people fixated on their camera and they 3 feet of something they can see through it when they are missing the entire rest of the show?! I'll take out my camera on the safari or when we are sitting around but I refuse to film every second of every ride or show. I like to actually enjoy myself and make memories rather than film what I hope to edit into memories later. I understand some parents want to capture every moment of their child's first visit or a birthday or something but I'm always sitting there thinking why aren't you enjoying your family instead of fiddling with your ipad or camera. I'm one of the few young people that actually put my phone away at dinners still and can have full length conversations with eye contact I guess.

Now I'm not trying to say don't capture your memories I'm just trying to say it doesn't have to be every second of every trip.

G00fyDad

It makes no since. I'm not even sure why the tablets have actual cameras. Cut the weight (and price) by just having the low res front facing camera for skype and facetime.

It bothers me all the time when people film any kind of experience like shows or concerts (worst of all theatre but that's a whole different rant) technically all of these shows are covered under the copy write laws and shouldn't be filmed anyways but no one cares about that. I honestly think with all our gadgets we have lost the ability to enjoy what we are seeing. How many times do you see people fixated on their camera and they 3 feet of something they can see through it when they are missing the entire rest of the show?! I'll take out my camera on the safari or when we are sitting around but I refuse to film every second of every ride or show. I like to actually enjoy myself and make memories rather than film what I hope to edit into memories later. I understand some parents want to capture every moment of their child's first visit or a birthday or something but I'm always sitting there thinking why aren't you enjoying your family instead of fiddling with your ipad or camera. I'm one of the few young people that actually put my phone away at dinners still and can have full length conversations with eye contact I guess.

Now I'm not trying to say don't capture your memories I'm just trying to say it doesn't have to be every second of every trip.

If that bothers you just wait until you see the iPad clamp for tripods. Yes. You can now attach your iPad to a tripod for video taping or photo taking. LOL I've compared the photos taken with these cell cameras (mine is even an 8MP with a flash and auto zoom and many other functions) and none of them compare to even a halfway decent P&S.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

I think it depends on the situation. Some of the people you see at the parks filming every second have been there hundreds of times, and are really there to do some photography. There are certainly cases though where I completely agree - people do miss a lot by taking stills/video of something (and often, they are not doing a worthwhile job of it). They would be much better off seeing it live.

jlevis

Original Poster
I think it depends on the situation. Some of the people you see at the parks filming every second have been there hundreds of times, and are really there to do some photography. There are certainly cases though where I completely agree - people do miss a lot by taking stills/video of something (and often, they are not doing a worthwhile job of it). They would be much better off seeing it live.

Yeah, I've been many, many times and often will devote a day to photography and I take my DSLR and lenses. I want high quality photos and I'll take the time and equipment needed to get them. For general "snapshots" we use photopass. Sadly, I think Goofydad is on to something.

Ginzuishou

I've learned that videos for just about every ride in the world are on YouTube. The work has been done for you. Enjoy the ride while you are there!

Taking a few pictures and sending to friends is all well and good, but don't forget that you are there, live, in person......don't spend all of your time blogging, emailing, or texting, live in the moment!

devoy1701

Yeah, I've been many, many times and often will devote a day to photography and I take my DSLR and lenses. I want high quality photos and I'll take the time and equipment needed to get them. For general "snapshots" we use photopass. Sadly, I think Goofydad is on to something.

100% agree. When we used to do long trips to Disney World, and when we visited Disneyland in 2009, we devoted just a few evenings (1 evening at Disneyland, and at WDW it would depend what park we were in) to lugging around the tripod and whatever extra equipment we needed to take those staged portraits, artistic shots, or evening shots. I get that it's an important part of the trip, but I also don't want to miss enjoying everything we're experiencing because we're too busy trying to capture the moments with the camera. Most other days we simply carry our point-and-shoot or bring no camera at all (touring the parks without anything to carry is a wonderful experience in itself)!

wiigirl

Thats my thought....plus pads are so big and bulky.
75.gif

righttrack

People take pictures with their tablets not as a first choice, but because that is the multifunction device they have. If they had an iPhone or android, they'd be taking pictures with that. A lot of people don't know how to get pictures off of their phones. The iPhone and android changed that for people as has the tablet.

They can post instagrams easily with any IOS device

Rasvar

If that bothers you just wait until you see the iPad clamp for tripods. Yes. You can now attach your iPad to a tripod for video taping or photo taking. LOL I've compared the photos taken with these cell cameras (mine is even an 8MP with a flash and auto zoom and many other functions) and none of them compare to even a halfway decent P&S.
Hey now! I have a tripod for my iPad. Now, I will say I use mine to record items for my class lectures. I have not taken it into the parks. Although, I might consider it if I want to record 20 minutes of HD video on my 8GB card so I can use it to dump it and free up the space on the card. Can't say I would pull it out and use it in the park.

I do have a tiny tabletop tripod for my point and shoot that I keep in my pocket if I need it. Great for night time shots from the top of a garbage can. Like my Icon photo was.

wilkeliza

I wasn't trying to refer to photography like what you are talking about. Sure if you want to walk around with your DSLR because you are a local be my guest. Most of the time you will be kind enough to not stick it in my face or record with a flash on. What bothers me are the people who only come once in their life and can't put their camera down and enjoy it. I couldn't tell you how many people I know who go on vacation and don't have any "memories" of it because they spent all their days filming so they didn't actually experience anything.

YoungNY

Being that my iPhone is just a mini version of my iPad, I think I'll use that when I'm not taking pictures on my camera. On the other hand, I have no problem with people taking pictures on iPad, so long as they don't do it in dark places. The walking slow and texting/face booking is a big issue for me though. If you must text and walk step to the side please.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom