Swan vs Port Orleans Riverside

aTmfan

Can anyone help me out? We currently have a res. for PO Riverside for mid July but can get a little cheaper rate at the Swan with my wife's teacher discount. We have twin 11 yr. olds and are wanting to know which would be better, better pools, etc? Thanks

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Swan by a long way, and its even more of a no-brainer if its cheaper.
The Swan is a deluxe resort, and has all the associated amenities, including the best bed (The Heavenly Bed) on Disney property.
Its VERY close to Epcot and MGM, so close its walkable.
It has a GREAT pool area, I have some photos at http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts_swan.htm

Enjoy your trip whichever you go with! If you have any specific questions, just ask away!

Upvote 0

sbkline

I noticed on that link you gave that some other company owns the Swan and Dolphin hotels. However, I thought I read somewhere else that the WDW company ultimately owns both of them, but kind of "leases" them out to someone else. Can you or someone else clarify this?

Upvote 0

landauh

The Swan and Dolphin are owned by Starwoods Resorts. The Swan is Weston and the Dolphin is Sheraton. Disney leases the land to Starwoods and Starwoods owns the resorts. (Disney is trying to get the resorts.)

Upvote 0
I would definitely stay at the Swan. In fact, I would not give it a second thought. We have stayed at the Dolphin a few times and visited the Swan. It is lovely. We have also stayed at POR and did not enjoy that resort so much. It's one of our least favorites.

Wherever you stay, I hope you and your family have a great time.:)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I understand the Swan is a lovely resort but there are some amenities that you will not be able to use as theses are not considered "Disney" resorts despite the fact that they are right there in the middle of the Magic!!! You cannot use DME, there is a parking fee at this hotel, you cant get the Magic Your Way Dining Plan nor can you charge stuff in the Disney parks on your room key.
On the strictly asthetic side of things, PO Riverside is lovely resort and is themed to the old South with some pretty magnificent grounds. The Swan while very nice is a hotel, there isnt much in the way of theming. It is the same as you would see at any great hotel in any large city.
Here is some comparisons for you:
Swan pictures: http://allearsnet.com/acc/g_swan.htm
Riverside: http://allearsnet.com/acc/g_dxl.htm
More Riverside: http://home.comcast.net/~candisfl/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html
Hope this helps!! Belle

Upvote 0

SallyShine

I've stayed at both of these hotels. The Swan is in a much better location and the transportation is better. You can see the Boardwalk from one side and Epcot from the other. But, Belle is correct that you will lose some of the Disney ammenitites: Disney dining, DME, charging, foodcourt and package delivery. I also think you lose some of the Disney magic. After reading this back, I've probably confused you even more. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. Have fun!

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Can anyone help me out? We currently have a res. for PO Riverside for mid July but can get a little cheaper rate at the Swan with my wife's teacher discount. We have twin 11 yr. olds and are wanting to know which would be better, better pools, etc? Thanks
We stayed at POR last summer & really enjoyed our stay.
But, if given the chance to upgrade to a deluxe resort - do it!!!
:wave:

Upvote 0
Because we're staying at the Dolphin in September (I know, we're talking about the Swan here but I figured I'd check anyway), I called there just now to confirm what we can and can't do. We've stayed there before that that was before DME, etc. The CM told me that we can have packages delivered to the resort from the parks, etc.....but that is about all we can do. :( That said, I would still pick the Swan or Dolphin over POR. I think it's because we had such a horrible experience at POR last September. We called ahead to make sure that there wasn't construction going on because there is nothing worse than trying to sleep or relax while listening to construction. Well, they assured us that we would be fine. When we got there, there was scaffolding up right next to our room.....we had to go under it to get to our door....and there was constant noise from 6:30 a.m. until dusk. On top of that, we didn't get fresh towels (even though we tipped mousekeeping we still had to call down for towels) and the nearly 2 hours to check in, and let's just say that it was not a magical stay :( So, unfortunately for us, POR was not a great experience....however, the grounds are just beautiful there and the food court was nice as well......I'd be willing to try it again but my DH said no way....

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

We are actually going through the same thing right now. We can use my mom's teacher discount or we can stay at our favorite resort (POR) or the POP, which we also love. Really, the Heavenly Beds are our main deciding factor. We don't spend any time in the pools really, but we all need a good night of sleep every night.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
We are actually going through the same thing right now. We can use my mom's teacher discount or we can stay at our favorite resort (POR) or the POP, which we also love. Really, the Heavenly Beds are our main deciding factor. We don't spend any time in the pools really, but we all need a good night of sleep every night.

The beds are really great, you wont be dissapointed!

You also cant beat being able to walk over to Epcot and MGM, and you have the whole Boardwalk and Yeacht/Beach Club area as your backyard.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The Swan while very nice is a hotel, there isnt much in the way of theming. It is the same as you would see at any great hotel in any large city.

I'm gonna have to stand up for the Swolphin here! ;)
I hear people say it has no theming, but I really dont understand that. I have never seen a hotel in a city look even remotely similar to the Swan and Dolphin. Its such a unique set of buildings, and is highly aclaimed in the design world. When you are there, you are surrounded by these huge distinct buildings, with all the lush palm trees, huge sculptures atop the buildings, views of Spaceship Earth, the Boardwalk, the Tower of Terror.

It doesnt set you up in a specific place as something like CBR or PO does, but I do think its design is very very unique, and isnt just a generic city hotel.

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

You also cant beat being able to walk over to Epcot and MGM, and you have the whole Boardwalk and Yeacht/Beach Club area as your backyard.

That may be a serious deal sealer. All three of us love Epcot more than any park. We have about 5 days to decide, hopefully we will get it decided. LOL!

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member

I liked the bed so much, I bought one. :lol: I was going to get one (mattress) for The Son, but he told me not to do it - he said he has enough trouble getting out of bed as it is. ;)

I LOVED being able to walk to two out of four parks, and don't forget the mini-golf and Boardwalk being close by. The Dolphin has a 24 hour counter service restaurant, as I recall, so I really didn't miss a food court. With the exception of breakfast, I eat all of my meals in the park anyways.

Upvote 0
The beds are incredible! My husband is trying to talk me into getting one. The Dolphin is our favorite place to stay...hands down. We keep saying that we are going to stay at every WDW resort eventually but whenever I suggest something I always get "can't we just go back to the Dolphin?" And one more thing, we don't make early a.m. ADR's ... it's just way too hard to get out of the comfy bed in the morning!!!:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom