Surge Pricing Holding Up (Semi) Annual Increase ...

Goofyernmost

Guess you missed out on the GM engineers being told to 'keep quiet' about this design flaw and others, Or the guy who found the problem INTERNALLY having his career derailed. No GM indeed KNEW about the issue and did nothing to address it and tried to cover it up.

From Bloomberg

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-blower-was-ignored-mary-barra-faces-congress
I know, and I usually don't support GM ethically, but, I really don't think that they thought it was going to be as big a problem as it turned out to be. Does that make it a good thing... Of course not, but, I don't think that there was the evil laughter in the background that any discussion of the situation seems to generate. I owned my car for 9 years before it was recalled, and I was flabbergasted when I saw how simple the correction was. It just struck me as something that really would not send up any loud signals of major problem that it turned out to be. But, that it did. Auto manufacturers have done thousands of things that deserve long term confinement of the decision makers, this physical problem just didn't scream danger to the extent that it turned out to be.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know, and I usually don't support GM ethically, but, I really don't think that they thought it was going to be as big a problem as it turned out to be. Does that make it a good thing... Of course not, but, I don't think that there was the evil laughter in the background that any discussion of the situation seems to generate. I owned my car for 9 years before it was recalled, and I was flabbergasted when I saw how simple the correction was. It just struck me as something that really would not send up any loud signals of major problem that it turned out to be. But, that it did. Auto manufacturers have done thousands of things that deserve long term confinement of the decision makers, this physical problem just didn't scream danger to the extent that it turned out to be.

Being an engineer I can say that sometimes all it takes is a SMALL change to bring something from unsafe or unusable as built to a excellent piece of engineering. My point was the ENGINEEERS caught it realized and communicated the grave risks with the original part, Then the 'new' part was quietly placed into production by GM Management without a corresponding change in part number (that's how automakers let everyone know the part has been changed). As usual it's the coverup which gets people in hot water.

GM COULD have simply issued a TSB saying 'This ignition switch is subject to failure if customer uses an overweight key chain, If technician notes that customer has overweight key chain recommend replacement of switch with upgraded part. Easy simple and honest.

Cesar R M

Um, I don't carry a victim card, as my AMEX suits me just fine. *You* played it, so you get to keep it -- it's obvious that you need it more than me, anyway. And, @wm49rs please come and get your boyfriend, he's boring me.
Steve-Jobs-Angry-at-Analytics-Firms-Tracking-its-Devices-2.jpg

Goofyernmost

Being an engineer I can say that sometimes all it takes is a SMALL change to bring something from unsafe or unusable as built to a excellent piece of engineering. My point was the ENGINEEERS caught it realized and communicated the grave risks with the original part, Then the 'new' part was quietly placed into production by GM Management without a corresponding change in part number (that's how automakers let everyone know the part has been changed). As usual it's the coverup which gets people in hot water.

GM COULD have simply issued a TSB saying 'This ignition switch is subject to failure if customer uses an overweight key chain, If technician notes that customer has overweight key chain recommend replacement of switch with upgraded part. Easy simple and honest.
I agree completely that it should have been taken care of immediately or at least corrected on cars not yet sold. I don't forgive them for the number of people that died or were injured, I just think that sometimes we forget that all those "engineers" and leaders are human, and with that comes less then stellar judgement. Hindsight is almost perfect, humans are not. Not intentional evil.

Cesar R M

I'm not arguing with you, just commenting, but, I have one of those vehicles that were recalled for that problem. Do you know what the problem was and what the fix was? I'll try and explain... the opening in the head of the key were you thread through the rest of the key ring was oblong and went the width of the key head. That was causing a lowering of the center of gravity pulling the keys downward and sometimes out. I cannot imagine anyone foreseeing that as a problem, but, apparently it was one. The fix was that they took the key itself and glued a little plastic insert into that oblong one and left it with a small hole to thread the ring through. That apparently moved the center of gravity up less then a sixteenth of an inch, adjusting it just enough to solve the problem. Those evil dorks, imagine not having that recognized as a massively glaring error that should have been seen from outer space. Imagine them not being aware that a certain number of people carry enough keys around with them to open every door in the worlds. After I saw what was involved with it, I wouldn't even call it an error, it was an unanticipated issue that I'm sure they thought was nothing more then an oddity and not likely to be any degree of problem. It had to become that before it was officially recognized as something that needed attention. Unlike the infamous Ford "exploding" Pinto which was turning people into crispy critters for a very long time.
Well, there were cases where they(auto industry) outright fuxored up.
Like the famous cases of certain cars overturning too easy, or where cars could be alight aflame if a lamp was blinking when you get lightly hit on the back.

In many cases.. its easier to pay settlements and fines than actually resolve the issue.
Like those severe and critical security flaws in some planes, where the plane companies refused to pay until it was made obligatory after tons of deaths.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Like the famous cases of certain cars overturning too easy, or where cars could be alight aflame if a lamp was blinking when you get lightly hit on the back.
I think you just blue skyed a new addition for Test Track! They can just throw some Tron laser beams around it and call it a day

RSoxNo1

Why would anyone want false information from you?

How can anyone here benefit from your vivid imagination and wild assumptions? And, to think that people actually believe you.

As a senior poster, I feel like you have more of an obligation to be mindful of what you say, because there are posters here who worship you (only Heaven knows why) and will blindly follow your lead -- just because they trust you. You abuse that trust when you make up stuff about me out of spite and just for revenge.

See @wm49rs ^^^I rest my case. In another thread, this guy was so kind to me, now he's cussing me out with dollar signs. I won't even address this. So disappointed. Again.

The average Super Bowl ticket costs $2500 to $3000, reaching upwards of $4000 depending on the team! This is for one ticket and just one game. A whole family can go to Disney for that, yet guys have no problem paying this for one game.

Look at the concessions.
2wnv2j5.png

xn9lhk.jpg

2h3v4v7.jpg

Again, most guys have no problem paying these prices for their sports fix but not when it comes to a nice family vacation.

OMG, I just googled it. This is such a gorgeous park, I would love to visit there one day. I wonder if this system if well received.
You're right... we should all be able to go to the Super Bowl for free.

Disneyhead'71

You're right... we should all be able to go to the Super Bowl for free.
I love the sports stadium analogy when talking about food prices. Because everyone spends 6 days on property at Levi's Stadium without a rental car. When you're a captive audience for 4 hours, most (ok, some) Americans can actually go 4 hours without food. So buying the food is an option. 6 days without food isn't as easy.

erasure fan1

I love the sports stadium analogy when talking about food prices. Because everyone spends 6 days on property at Levi's Stadium without a rental car. When you're a captive audience for 4 hours, most (ok, some) Americans can actually go 4 hours without food. So buying the food is an option. 6 days without food isn't as easy.
Don't forget that if it's your team it could be a once in a lifetime thing. I can always take a Disney trip, but seeing my team in the Superbowl doesn't always happen. Aside from that the average person who complains about Disney being too expensive or raising prices... would probably never even think about going to a Superbowl.

truecoat

Don't forget that if it's your team it could be a once in a lifetime thing. I can always take a Disney trip, but seeing my team in the Superbowl doesn't always happen. Aside from that the average person who complains about Disney being too expensive or raising prices... would probably never even think about going to a Superbowl.

The Disney experience will become a once in a lifetime thing at this rate. This in turn will produce fewer and fewer people enamored with the brand. It will be the place we went to that one time instead of every year. Short term gains subverting long term goals.

Crafty

The problem for us is the deterioration of the Disney experience. While we don't like the price increases, we would be willing to pay more if the quality of the experience remained high.

We are long term Disneyphiles, having bought our first DVC points in 1992. I can't point to one specific thing, but we did not have a good time on our last WDW trip. In fact we left a day earlier than planned and went to the beach. We are talking about selling a chunk of our points because we can't generate any enthusiasm for a return trip to WDW. It is just not fun for us anymore.

I think that the extensive planning and scheduling makes us feel stressed rather than relaxed. The lack of ride maintenance is also a factor. One day on our trip so many rides broke while we were on them that it was almost laughable. Etc. etc.

I can't help but feel that the word will get out that WDW is not what it used to be. When that happens, I believe that attendance will see a rapid decline. I lack optimism about the proposed new attractions. Value engineering will probably win out over guest experience.

bhg469

The problem for us is the deterioration of the Disney experience. While we don't like the price increases, we would be willing to pay more if the quality of the experience remained high.

We are long term Disneyphiles, having bought our first DVC points in 1992. I can't point to one specific thing, but we did not have a good time on our last WDW trip. In fact we left a day earlier than planned and went to the beach. We are talking about selling a chunk of our points because we can't generate any enthusiasm for a return trip to WDW. It is just not fun for us anymore.

I think that the extensive planning and scheduling makes us feel stressed rather than relaxed. The lack of ride maintenance is also a factor. One day on our trip so many rides broke while we were on them that it was almost laughable. Etc. etc.

I can't help but feel that the word will get out that WDW is not what it used to be. When that happens, I believe that attendance will see a rapid decline. I lack optimism about the proposed new attractions. Value engineering will probably win out over guest experience.
I knew people like you existed but never thought I would see it on this forum!

You got DVC when it was a value and I know someone who got in close to when you did. Her family was actually on the Disney resort TV back in the day.

My guess is that Disney is going for that one time guest. They can spend less money attracting those people than they do trying to keep people coming back. You're absolutely right in everything you've said.

Nubs70

I agree completely that it should have been taken care of immediately or at least corrected on cars not yet sold. I don't forgive them for the number of people that died or were injured, I just think that sometimes we forget that all those "engineers" and leaders are human, and with that comes less then stellar judgement. Hindsight is almost perfect, humans are not. Not intentional evil.
I would call it intentional evil on the part of the parties that decided to take no action.

The engineers that brought the issue to light performed their ethical obligation. Registered Professional Engineers must put their name and stamp on their prints. Once the engineer has stamped the print, they become civilly liable and, in some cases, criminally liable for design failures. This is were engineers hold an obligation. If the engineers warnings are dismissed, the accountability for the outcome belongs to the person(s) who over ruled the engineer.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

This is my experience as well, I bought my first points LONG ago and also became a charter member at AKL for it's awe inspiring theming and BLT (Charter there too) for family trips with young kids and older relatives who are huge disney fans. People like to call me a 'Disney Hater' but a Disney hater does not buy 800 DVC points over the years.

What's happening is the QUALITY experience is going down while prices go UP and UP and UP. It used to be when we went to WDW it would be 'What's New' now it's 'What's no longer there'.

I'm sad that the WDW experience is rapidly going downhill and I'm angry at the management who have ensured that new generations will not be able to experience the Disney Magic as it was meant to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom