Super Early Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Thread

Magenta Panther

You ever watch Family Guy, which Disney now owns? It had a recurring character that was a child molester. No one is calling Seth MacFarlane depraved.

McFarland, if not actually depraved, certainly has a similar depraved sense of humor, which doesn't justify Gunn's. And BTW he slanders Walt Disney constantly as an anti-Semite. It's not true, but he doesn't care. He offends and shocks because he can't write anything truly funny. He's also a thief (he stole Stewie from another cartoonist) and a jerk (he'll likely never host the Oscars again after insulting actresses about their nude scenes). Not a great person to defend Gunn with. They're both awful people, their successes notwithstanding.

ImperfectPixie

Oh, really? Then what does make one a depraved nut? I'd bet that for most people, thinking pedophilia is a legit source for humor is just cause for depraved-nut certification. Not to mention making jokes about beating women and stuffing them into refrigerators. I think most people would never consider making jokes about such things, not even 10 years ago. The idea that somehow Gunn is a better person now is a bit of a stretch, mostly because of how gross and how prolific his "jokes" about such stuff were. Time doesn't lessen their depravity, so sorry to inform you of that. They're still awful and he's an awful person for thinking them funny in the first place. 10 years doesn't make much of a difference in his case.

As for Roseanne, I'm not defending her for making a dumb tweet. But, come on, compared to Gunn, she committed a relatively minor offense. Acting like she has to wait 10 years to be forgiven is absurd. If Disney doesn't rehire her after it rehired Gunn, it's going to look like the reason is purely political. And that's not a good look for Disney - and especially Iger - to have. (Let's see the fathead run for office now! LOL!)
So, by your logic, people are unable to change and grow at all.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Go to any AA meeting and listen to the speakers tell their stories...people change all the time. Human beings are unable to remain "stagnant" because how we think is affected by everything we take in simply by living our lives.

Disneyfanman

Whatever led Disney to this decision, I applaud it. Gunn's joking comments and social media posts were tasteless and he took responsibility for them. He didn't trash Disney for the decision (at least publicly). His crew of actors (a diverse bunch) defended him. It all happened long before he worked for Disney. This is compared to Rosanne Barr who has a long history of saying terrible things that are just as indefensible AND the latest was while currently employed by Disney AND her apology was followed by more terrible things. I didn't have any question about either of them being terminated. I completely understood both decisions. AND I understand Disney reversing course after some internal reflection on Gunn and sticking to their decision on Barr.

People, if they are to be given a 2nd chance, have to be willing to take responsibility for their actions. Gunn demonstrated that he was committed to that by his actions. Barr did not (one apology doesn't count).

These are real people making decisions, and I believe that there is real conflict and reflection behind them. Working around people who wrestle with large scale decision that affect millions of dollars in sales and profits, I often hear "doing what is right" blended into discussions about "doing what makes money".

I am NOT defending tasteless behavior. I am NOT saying that people shouldn't be held accountable. I AM saying that redemption and forgiveness are always possible and I AM saying that people can evolve and change. I know that I would not like to be judged forever by the person that I was at 20, but that I want to be viewed as the person I am at 57.

ImperfectPixie

There are some things that stretch the bounds of forgivability. Thinking that raping children and beating women is funny and a great way to make a name for yourself is a tad different than giving up the sauce. Not a good comparison at all. But hey, if the Guardians mean so damn much to you that you're willing to overlook what a creep Gunn is, all I can say is, I feel sorry for you. Enjoy!
"Giving up the sauce" as you put it is far from the only element of recovery for addicts...many of them have done horrible things in their lives and part of their recovery is making amends for those actions, which are in an entirely different league than a few tasteless jokes.

Magenta Panther

My apologies regarding my mentioning the tragedy in New Zealand in regards to Guardians. I don't like gunplay as entertainment in movies. I don't like the fact that a talking raccoon that is now, ugh, a Disney-owned character, does a lot of that. Also, I hate guns period. But I let those dislikes collide and made a tasteless comment. No excuses.

As for the rehiring of James Gunn (if "rehired" is truly the world, given that it turns out that Disney didn't really fire him in the first place):

In the weeks after firing Gunn, there was speculation around town about who could replace the filmmaker, with agents lining up clients but by mid-fall, any perceived search seemed to have petered out, with many thinking that the project was on the back burner. What almost no one knew was that Marvel and Disney had never undertaken a search and in fact became convinced he should be given a second chance. In the fall, Disney went back to Gunn and quietly made a deal, according to insiders.
...yeah, the public got played. Disney got to be all virtuous, as if the suits there really cared about the studio's wholesome family-friendly legacy, Gunn got to be all contrite and take his drubbing, and now, repentant :rolleyes: he's forgiven and welcomed back into the fold.

BTW, here's some of what he's "sorry" for: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...s-pedophilia-rape_us_5b5238d6e4b0fd5c73c5390a . I was going to post the actual "jokes", but they are simply too vile and I won't sully this message board with them.

Roseanne of course cannot expect a similar homecoming. Nope, not political, not one bit.

Robert Iger and his fellow hypocritical posers have done something to the legacy of Disney with this rehire. It's a pity that there are those who have no idea what I meant by the prior statement. An acquired film franchise is more important to them, I guess. Disney used to be special. Now it's just another entertainment company with money as its only measurement for worth. I weep for Walt. And that's that.

Tony Perkis

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Here's your hero you think is worthy of redemption...

Who says she's my hero? Oh, you did. Is James Gunn YOUR hero? Here's one of his little "jokes":

Laughter is the best medicine. That's why I laugh at people with AIDS.

I chose that one because it's relatively "clean" and doesn't mention child sexual assault, his favorite topic.

All I'm saying is that if Gunn is to be reinstated, then Roseanne should be reinstated as well, UNLESS her firing really was politically motivated as was claimed by some. If that doesn't happen, it stinks of hypocrisy, and that makes the Gunn rehiring even worse.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Who says she's my hero? Oh, you did. Is James Gunn YOUR hero? Here's one of his little "jokes":

Laughter is the best medicine. That's why I laugh at people with AIDS.

I chose that one because it's relatively "clean" and doesn't mention child sexual assault, his favorite topic.

All I'm saying is that if Gunn is to be reinstated, then Roseanne should be reinstated as well, UNLESS her firing really was politically motivated as was claimed by some. If that doesn't happen, it stinks of hypocrisy, and that makes the Gunn rehiring even worse.

And again, you ignore that Gunn stopped it with those vulgar jokes long ago and apologized. Roseann calling the MeToo women "hos" and a Muslim congressional representative a terrorist is recent.

I'm sorry you seem incapable of seeing the difference.

I forgive you.

Tony Perkis

And again, you ignore that Gunn stopped it with those vulgar jokes long ago and apologized. Roseann calling the MeToo women "hos" and a Muslim congressional representative a terrorist is recent.

I forgive you.
The big thing is I don’t get why the two are even comparable. I have to only assume it’s due to both being Disney employees, and their ousts were close.

I wasn’t particularly offended by either, but the current nature of Barr’s made her’s significantly worse, PR wise. Gunn being an edgelord when he worked for Troma (whose films are awesome in the right state of mind) should have been evident from day 1.

And if this whole ordeal means more people watched Slither and Super, great. Those are the two best B movies, particularly Slither, since Evil Dead 2.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

I forgive you.

Not surprising. You Gunn supporters will forgive just about anything, it seems. :p

In case you weren't aware, Roseanne has ALWAYS been controversial. Disney was well aware of that before it hired her, so no excuses. The fact that she's still provocative doesn't mean she shouldn't be rehired, because, again, she always has been. That's part of her schtick. And personally, I don't blame Roseanne, a Jew, for going after an anti-Semitic member of Congress, who's still got her job as far as I know. If the Muslim congressional representative is not going to get fired for her racist remarks, then once again, we have a double standard here. See how that works?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not surprising. You Gunn supporters will forgive just about anything, it seems. :p

In case you weren't aware, Roseanne has ALWAYS been controversial. Disney was well aware of that before it hired her, so no excuses. The fact that she's still provocative doesn't mean she shouldn't be rehired, because, again, she always has been. That's part of her schtick. And personally, I don't blame Roseanne, a Jew, for going after an anti-Semitic member of Congress, who's still got her job as far as I know. If the Muslim congressional representative is not going to get fired for her racist remarks, then once again, we have a double standard here. See how that works?

No, you're the one holding Roseann to a different standard because her politics conforms to yours.

Magenta Panther

No, you're the one holding Roseann to a different standard because her politics conforms to yours.

Oh, so you don't see how that works. Pity. And I could turn that comment around and say that you're holding Roseanne to a different standard because her politics don't conform to yours. Which you clearly are. Since you have no trouble defending an ant-Semite, it seems.

And don't make such narrow assumptions about me. You don't know my political leanings. Just because you echo what insiders say on here and set yourself as some kind of authority on the parks doesn't mean you know all, see all. So back off.

ImperfectPixie

You simply can't group Roseanne and James Gunn under the same category. What Gunn did was BEFORE he was hired by Disney, and while he was working for Disney, he did not repeat the behavior. Roseanne has repeatedly said/tweeted horrible things while employed by Disney.

James Gunn being fired was the equivalent of punishing a teenager for something they did when they were 5.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom