strollers, strollers, strollers

Minnesota disney fan

Well guess I'll chime in my 1 cents worth, LOL.
Our kids first went to WDW in l977 when they were 7 and 5. They walked everywhere and we never even thought of a stroller. When they got tired or hot, we just sat down and rested for a while or got a cold drink. Then we were off again all refueled and eager to go. We took a break at noon and went back to the hotel so they could swim, then back to the parks.
I don't remember seeing many strollers at the time. Others are right that people just did not bring young babies to the parks in those days. It was not common to see anyone over toddler age in a stroller either.
But times have changed and these things change too. I don't judge them now, but just go and have fun.

Chi84

Premium Member
Our kids first went to WDW in l977 when they were 7 and 5. They walked everywhere and we never even thought of a stroller. When they got tired or hot, we just sat down and rested for a while or got a cold drink. Then we were off again all refueled and eager to go. We took a break at noon and went back to the hotel so they could swim, then back to the parks.
I don't remember seeing many strollers at the time. Others are right that people just did not bring young babies to the parks in those days. It was not common to see anyone over toddler age in a stroller either.
But times have changed and these things change too. I don't judge them now, but just go and have fun.
People rarely brought young babies to a lot of places they do now. I doubt it was anything specific to Disney.

Goofyernmost

People rarely brought young babies to a lot of places they do now. I doubt it was anything specific to Disney.
Well, If you mean entertainment venue's then that is right. Other then that, everyplace that we went they went with us. That's what babysitters were for. To be honest I didn't actually think about it when it came to Disney. I knew that I wanted them to remember those events. They were semi-unconscious at those early ages before what I call world awareness, but I didn't want to spend my time changing diapers, stopping for naps, finding places and things to feed them and all the rest of the time when they were either completely dependent on us or even partially dependent (meaning weren't potty trained or us having to bring our whole household with us for their needs). I had no way of knowing if people took babies to the germ-fest that is WDW, I just knew that I wasn't going too.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well, If you mean entertainment venue's then that is right. Other then that, everyplace that we went they went with us. That's what babysitters were for. To be honest I didn't actually think about it when it came to Disney. I knew that I wanted them to remember those events. They were semi-unconscious at those early ages before what I call world awareness, but I didn't want to spend my time changing diapers, stopping for naps, finding places and things to feed them and all the rest of the time when they were either completely dependent on us or even partially dependent (meaning weren't potty trained or us having to bring our whole household with us for their needs). I had no way of knowing if people took babies to the germ-fest that is WDW, I just knew that I wasn't going too.
People are different. We always took our young ones and didn’t mind doing all those things you mentioned. They were in daycare so pretty much used to germs 😂. In any event, I don’t remember them picking up any diseases at WDW.

Goofyernmost

People are different. We always took our young ones and didn’t mind doing all those things you mentioned. They were in daycare so pretty much used to germs 😂. In any event, I don’t remember them picking up any diseases at WDW.
I'm not judging you, I am just saying why I didn't and why if I had it to do all over again I would do exactly the same thing. It has been said over and over that Disney is not just for children. I agreed with that but I also agree with the idea that vacations are for the family and I went to WDW because I wanted to go and I wanted to go when my kids were old enough to be aware of things around them. I never regretted the responsibilities of being a parent and I never minded doing stuff for them or with them. But when it came to major venue's like WDW it was going to be equally shared by the whole family and I wanted to be as much a part of or a reason for being there as my kids were. That together time on that visit is precious to me and I know it was to them too. Forty years later both remember that trip in detail. As I say I never regretted my decision and if you decided that you wanted to do it differently, that is fine with me as well. It's all in how we view certain experiences for ourselves.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm not judging you, I am just saying why I didn't and why if I had it to do all over again I would do exactly the same thing. It has been said over and over that Disney is not just for children. I agreed with that but I also agree with the idea that vacations are for the family and I went to WDW because I wanted to go and I wanted to go when my kids were old enough to be aware of things around them. I never regretted the responsibilities of being a parent and I never minded doing stuff for them or with them. But when it came to major venue's like WDW it was going to be equally shared by the whole family and I wanted to be as much a part of or a reason for being there as my kids were. That together time on that visit is precious to me and I know it was to them too. Forty years later both remember that trip in detail. As I say I never regretted my decision and if you decided that you wanted to do it differently, that is fine with me as well. It's all in how we view certain experiences for ourselves.
I agree, but it also has a lot to do with people’s particular vacation choices. We loved WDW and made it an annual trip. It would be pretty hard for my 38-year-old son to forget his family WDW vacations since the last one was 6 months ago.

I don’t judge people who decide to do things differently. There’s far too much of that going on already. People will make the decisions they believe are best for their own families. They don’t need me to tell them what that is.

Goofyernmost

I agree, but it also has a lot to do with people’s particular vacation choices. We loved WDW and made it an annual trip. It would be pretty hard for my 38-year-old son to forget his family WDW vacations since the last one was 6 months ago.

I don’t judge people who decide to do things differently. There’s far too much of that going on already. People will make the decisions they believe are best for their own families. They don’t need me to tell them what that is.
Well, I have done 48 trips there over 40 years so I would guess that we had a lot of yearly visits as well. That's not relevant anyway, they went many more times after that first one, but it was the first one for all of us and we all remember that one clearly, not so much the others.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well, I have done 48 trips there over 40 years so I would guess that we had a lot of yearly visits as well. That's not relevant anyway, they went many more times after that first one, but it was the first one for all of us and we all remember that one clearly, not so much the others.
It's fun to share different perspectives! Our favorite and one of our most memorable trips was in 2011 when the significant others (now spouses) of our adult children joined us at WDW for the first time. Our now son-in-law had just returned from being stationed overseas with the Navy for 4 years so it was nice to treat him to some just plain fun.

Maybe we experienced some of that "first trip feel" by seeing WDW through their eyes for the first time. Our trip last April was the first for our 3-year-old grandson and he had a blast meeting the characters, seeing the fireworks, etc. He had a great time and was enjoying himself in the moment even if he may not be able to remember it years later!

MickeyLuv'r

Pardon me, but I went to WDW as a baby/toddler in the early days of WDW. Babies and toddlers most certainly DID visit back in the early days of WDW!

As my mother told it, strollers did not exist. What existed was what we might today call a pram. They were not remotely compact, so taking them in a car or airplane for vacation wasn't really practical. They were big, boxy things that did not fold like umbrella strollers. My parents had no choice but to carry me.

Even early umbrella strollers were just so-so. They were not great for parks. My family memorably brought those to WDW in the early 1980's.

Back then though, WDW had many more park benches than today, with ample availability to use them.

jloucks

no need to treat it as blocking....

better to do what I do and walk right on through; don't wait, don't hesitate, don't acquiesce just move about normally. Picture takers wait for foot traffic, not foot traffic wait for picture people.
It think this is a balance. A dance of sorts. When appropriate, I will wait for somebody to take a photo. Where appropriate. There are inappropriate places for folks to take photos and expect the right of way. I can only tolerate so many poses and subject changes on a high traffic thoroughfare before I go ahead and keep on moving.

Shoot, sometimes I will even offer to take the photo when and where appropriate.

It think it is weird people take the side of the photo takers, who are in effect the ones who are initiating a selfish behavior. But, it does hold with the new societal mentality of "I will do what I want, when I want, and everybody else can suck it up if it affects them".

Isn't this a TikToc meme? People with cameras being ridiculous?

Like people can't wait 5 freaking seconds for someone to take a picture? Dude, you aren't that important.

I'm curious as to your hierarchy of importance as to who should get the right of way on the paths.

And I can only assume that emergency personnel trumps cast as to path access and cast trumps picture takers, right?
So under your theory picture takers are more important than common path travelers. Ok fair enough.............but are common path travelers the lowest? Or is there another group like those who jumped the fence to enter or used some kind of fraud to enter the parks? and where do vloggers fit on the list of importance on who deserves path space.

It's pretty critical to know one's place on the paths so I'm just trying to get a general understanding as to my position. (I really hope I'm higher than vlogger but if I'm not then I just have to man up and deal with it)

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm curious as to your hierarchy of importance as to who should get the right of way on the paths.

And I can only assume that emergency personnel trumps cast as to path access and cast trumps picture takers, right?
So under your theory picture takers are more important than common path travelers. Ok fair enough.............but are common path travelers the lowest? Or is there another group like those who jumped the fence to enter or used some kind of fraud to enter the parks? and where do vloggers fit on the list of importance on who deserves path space.

It's pretty critical to know one's place on the paths so I'm just trying to get a general understanding as to my position. (I really hope I'm higher than vlogger but if I'm not then I just have to man up and deal with it)
The general idea is to be kind (even though you don't have to be) and to treat others the way you would like to be treated (without having to figure out where you stand in the hierarchy of importance on the paths). Try "manning up" instead of worrying about who comes first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom