strollers, strollers, strollers

DisneyHead123

A thought on the stroller increase in general… neurodevelopmental disorders are really on the rise. Autism, ADHD, language delay, and so on. I won’t get into the many theories as to why, but in general, this seems to be the trend. Now add in ever-growing crowds at Disney in which an impulsive, communication delayed, or socially unaware child could easily be lost in a second. As a parent, I can definitely see the appeal of strapping them into a stroller at ever increasing ages. Helicopter-y? Maybe. I don’t know. I don’t care. The thought of losing one’s child in a crowd is terrifying. In a stroller you know where they are.

Angel Ariel

A thought on the stroller increase in general… neurodevelopmental disorders are really on the rise. Autism, ADHD, language delay, and so on. I won’t get into the many theories as to why, but in general, this seems to be the trend. Now add in ever-growing crowds at Disney in which an impulsive, communication delayed, or socially unaware child could easily be lost in a second. As a parent, I can definitely see the appeal of strapping them into a stroller at ever increasing ages. Helicopter-y? Maybe. I don’t know. I don’t care. The thought of losing one’s child in a crowd is terrifying. In a stroller you know where they are.

It’s not just a safety thing either in some of those scenarios, as many of the conditions you mentioned can also have sensory processing related issues (sensory seeking or sensory avoiding). Kids may need them to have a sensory barrier between themselves and others - have a place that feels like “theirs.” If a stroller is an accommodation that assists a child in enjoying Disney, I fully support that.

But yes, the safety thing also. My child is minimally speaking. She wears a road ID when we are at Disney (and any major place) that has our phone #s and that she is minimally speaking, but that concern of what could happen to her if she were separated from us is always present.

Club Cooloholic

I'm sitting on a plane at the moment (waiting to taxi) and just observed two large strollers making their way on board. The number and size of strollers getting on planes these days is getting crazy too. We sure didn't travel that way when our kids were younger.....
How did the strollers end up on the plane where you can see them?

JoeCamel

Live update: I am currently part of a team of SEVEN people who’s only job today is to manage stroller parking in Adventureland. And I can attest there are strollers everywhere.
They must make bank off the strollers to afford they overhead. Wish the condiment bars rated so much

DisneyHead123

It’s not just a safety thing either in some of those scenarios, as many of the conditions you mentioned can also have sensory processing related issues (sensory seeking or sensory avoiding). Kids may need them to have a sensory barrier between themselves and others - have a place that feels like “theirs.” If a stroller is an accommodation that assists a child in enjoying Disney, I fully support that.

But yes, the safety thing also. My child is minimally speaking. She wears a road ID when we are at Disney (and any major place) that has our phone #s and that she is minimally speaking, but that concern of what could happen to her if she were separated from us is always present.
Yes, I agree that the sensory component can be important as well. Not to mention a safe alternative if a child goes into total meltdown mode. Strapping a flailing child into a stroller isn’t fun but is usually manageable. Getting a child who is in total meltdown mode (and maybe trying to elope) out on foot is a whole different ballgame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom