strollers, strollers, strollers

JoeCamel

All you people signaling about how tough your kids are seem to be missing the point of the stroller.
It is to schlep your junk around, holding a child is secondary and where would you put your huge bag of plush? You going to carry that all day?

Club Cooloholic

I do since we go non stop and never hit 20 miles. You can rudley say UM all you want it's still BS.
Well, maybe you move at a different pace? Don't drive and the.walk the long distance from the parking lots, not sure. That said, please, guy who accuses people of lying and calling BS, don't call others rude. I hope pointing out this lack of self awareness isn't too rude for you.

Lilofan

All you people signaling about how tough your kids are seem to be missing the point of the stroller.
It is to schlep your junk around, holding a child is secondary and where would you put your huge bag of plush? You going to carry that all day?
Farther from the truth. Guests when buying merchandise pick up at front of the park at end of visit. They just advise CM when paying at various locations.

BobPar

No you're wrong. Kids are tougher than you think. My kids did it just fine. From opening to closing. AND then the wanted to go swimming.

Here is a list of food and drinks we brought into the parks:

I really think parents are just using a stroller as a cart for their food and drinks and stuff they buy. LAZY
I guess you are the authority on all kids... good to know for future references... Not sure how thats being lazy as opposed to as i said serving multiple purposes as well. I bring a backpack/napsack into the parks as well is that lazy as well?

jloucks

I will respectfully disagree.... you are in the parks for say 10-12 hours walking all day long etc... thats a tough ask for a child heck even for an adult at times..... im not saying strolling your child the entire time buts its a good break to let them get some rest & also serves as storage for brings drinks into parks and snacks etc and to be able to hand stuff off it as well.... to me serves multiple purposes.
Ok so, full disclosure....

I said our little kids walked and had no stroller when we went out and about after about age 4-ish. This is true.

Buuuuuttt,,, we did sometimes bring a freight wagon. Not for kids to ride in, but for lugging freight for 4+ people. Carrying stuff all day on your back for long days is where we drew the line. Anytime we carried backpacks we limited the trek to 2-4 hours.

I should also mention we are/were old parents. dealing with kids in our 40's is a little different than in your 20's.

So, disagree with you on kids, agree with you on freight. ;)

BobPar

Ok so, full disclosure....

I said our little kids walked and had no stroller when we went out and about after about age 4-ish. This is true.

Buuuuuttt,,, we did sometimes bring a freight wagon. Not for kids to ride in, but for lugging freight for 4+ people. Carrying stuff all day on your back for long days is where we drew the line. Anytime we carried backpacks we limited the trek to 2-4 hours.

I should also mention we are/were old parents. dealing with kids in our 40's is a little different than in your 20's.

So, disagree with you on kids, agree with you on freight. ;)
Im in My late 40's as well as a parent with an 8 yr old. soon to be 9... so not sure your point or your assumption which seems to be incorrect.... but you are entitled to your opinion regarding strollers and kids etc... like i said it serves multiple purposes & when spending the entire day in the park giving my daughter breaks and strolling her around is not the end of the world and far from someone being lazy... i think on my last trip we average anywhere from 6-8 miles daily ... thats no easy task in the heat etc

jloucks

This topic got me curious as to what the parks looked like, stroller wise, back in the 80's. So, I pulled up our family photo album and guess what? I could find zero strollers in the crowd shots!

No way! So I googled photos from the parks in the 80's. Good news stroller fans, I did find some. Not many, but there were some. Some crazy contraptions back in the day too. :p

One other interesting thing from my quickie research project... wheelchairs were present in greater numbers. Just classic wheelchairs. My sub-point being adults with mobility issues have been going to the parks for decades. (I did not remember that either)

Club Cooloholic

This topic got me curious as to what the parts looked like, stroller wise, back in the 80's. So, I pulled up our family photo album and guess what? I could find zero strollers in the crowd shots!

No way! So I googled photos from the parks in the 80's. Good news stroller fans, I did find some. Not many, but there were some. Some crazy contraptions back in the day too. :p

One other interesting thing from my quickie research project... wheelchairs were present in greater numbers. Just classic wheelchairs. My sub-point being adults with mobility issues have been going to the parks for decades. (I did not remember that either)
Part of the reasons strollers are more important is the way people do parks. Back when there were fast past kiosks Disney was basically telling you that if you weren't ready to sprint, you snooze you lose. Couple that with how strollers have been improved, a citimini double will fit through regular doorway is far more maneuverable than a wagon or those old umbrella strollers.
My kids don't use the stroller anymore, but as a parent who pushed them we were certainly not lazy and I can't see why people get so angry about them. I am more annoyed with folks who need to take their phones out to take dark ride videos and pics, thus taking the rest of us out of the experience or taking a 100 pics throughout the day and blocking traffic in the sidewalk EVERY time.

Last edited:

ppete1975

my daughter is 9 and i been bringing her since she was born and not once was it for social media pictures..... when i was a child my parents took me when i was 4 brother was 2 and we went every year until our teens.... plenty of my friends have done same thing i have and for the right reasons now for IG photos by some silly purple wall
So to ask you a question, and please do not take it as an attack. Why take an infant or a child that is too small to remember, or ride anything (outside of being around sick people, and getting a sunburn)? I understand once they are able to understand whats going on, and build memories. And especially as soon as they can ride with a parent. But when they are super young, outside of not being able to find a baby sitter, I really do not understand.

You said when you were 2 and 4 (I understand that), its the really young that I dont.

And please do not take that as an attack, I am honestly curious and looking for a different view point.

ppete1975

BTW this is what im referencing, most pictures of early disney world or disneyland you see kids that are able to walk all day with no rest. The ages of the kids is older than now. And yes I know there is one stroller in this picture,
Besides social media now, there is also the "I have to get baby XXXX's picture in front of the castle"

1668096717710.png

1668096818900.png

1668096875882.png

BTW this is what im referencing, most pictures of early disney world or disneyland you see kids that are able to walk all day with no rest. The ages of the kids is older than now. And yes I know there is one stroller in this picture,
Besides social media now, there is also the "I have to get baby XXXX's picture in front of the castle"

View attachment 677661
View attachment 677662
View attachment 677663
I know the prevailing wisdom these days is that you should bring a stroller even for slightly older kids but I don't see many toddlers at all in these pictures. Maybe parents didn't bring little kids back then? I find it hard to believe that any parents were bringing little kids to WDW without strollers.

Club Cooloholic

So to ask you a question, and please do not take it as an attack. Why take an infant or a child that is too small to remember, or ride anything (outside of being around sick people, and getting a sunburn)? I understand once they are able to understand whats going on, and build memories. And especially as soon as they can ride with a parent. But when they are super young, outside of not being able to find a baby sitter, I really do not understand.

You said when you were 2 and 4 (I understand that), its the really young that I dont.

And please do not take that as an attack, I am honestly curious and looking for a different view point.
Well, did you read to your children when they were babies? Did you want to make them laugh? Did you like seeing their reaction to new things? Ever take a baby to the beach or pool? Do they remember all these things? Not specifically but these sensations do help shape who they grow to be, and ya know what? The reaction is priceless of these little ones and the parents sure do remember the experiences.

Chi84

Premium Member

Well, the question wasn't directed to me, but I can contribute that in my case, my children are several years apart. How long would I have had to wait to take the older one to WDW? And I only had two kids. What about families where there are several children with a significant age difference between the oldest and youngest? People need to decide what works best for their own families; it's simply not necessary for anyone else to pass judgment on what they're doing even if it's not something they would choose to do.

Our trip last April included two grandparents (DH and myself), our two children and their spouses, and our grandchildren (3 years, 9 months and 4 months.) We are DVC, so we had a very comfortable villa and we separated frequently for the younger two to have naps, quiet time, etc. The baby care centers at WDW are fantastic for feeding/changing. We didn't spend all that much time in the parks, but since we visit frequently there really was no need. The youngest ones love water and enjoyed floating down the lazy river in tubes and the splash pads at the resort. (No one got sunburned or sick, although I agree more care must be taken with young ones - the little ones had full body swimsuits and hats)

You may have seen us in the parks with two strollers (one a double), a transport chair for Gran and a whole lot of very happy faces. If that doesn't fit the picture of who someone else thinks should be at WDW, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Smiley/OCD

My kids were doing 10+ miles in the parks, sans stroller, as young as age 4 -- that's not a brag, as there's nothing magical about my offspring, but just an example of what an ordinary, able-bodied child can do. We loved the freedom it gave us, with no strollers to park or maneuver or bog down the flow of traffic. While I don't judge other families that decide to do things differently (oh, who am I kidding?!, of course I judge them and their overloaded strollers and cumbersome wagons and sherpa nannies and coddled half-grown kids, just a little, as we all breeze by them on our incredible working legs!), I think there's a happy medium between "pushing your kid around like they're in a Wall-E-style people mover all day" and "child abuse-level exercise" that many parents don't seem to recognize.
Yup, if I had a dollar for every umbrella stroller that tipped backwards because of all of the "stuff" hung on its handles, while the kids are walking, I might actually afford another trip!

BobPar

Do you have any kids? If not then maybe thats why you are asking the question... We took my daughter a month before her 1st bday.... the memories we made were priceless.. the joy and laughter she had etc all of us... not to mention being able to show her pics and videos of her doing things for the 1st time etc.... did i take it as an attack? not at all.... just find it an actual headscratcher that someone needed to ask that question... hopefully i answered it for you... using your logic why take an infant anywhere? may as well leave she or him locked inside until she can talk and walk and maybe even hold a conversation and while we are at it out of diapers as well? what else should we wait for to take our children places?

Yeah trying to fill the time with two little kids is a nonstop mostly joyless exercise in running out the clock. Getting to go to Disney World with my kids is extremely fun for a change. The place was built to entertain people of all ages unlike most of the world which views little kids as a nuisance.

If they have fun or remember stuff from when we're there, even better!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom