Stroller tales--for six and seven year old??

erstwo

Well, perhaps I'll be criticized for it as well, but we're going in September. My little one will be 6 (she turns 6 on Sept 4) and I'm planning to use a stroller for her. Like someone said above....it's your vacation and your child's vacation. Why not be as comfortable as possible? No, my daughter isn't obese and she gets plenty of exercise. Disney is exhausting and I want to make her as comfortable as possible so she will really enjoy the magic!

That being said.....anyone have any suggestions on a stroller that I can purchase for her without having to take out a mortgage on my house? :eek: LOL My plan B is to rent one from Disney but if I could buy one to accomodate her weight without spending a fortune, that would be great! Right now she's about 50 lbs and 46" tall.

Anyone have any suggestions?

There are a few that go up to 55 lbs and I saw one that went up to 65 lbs at Babies R Us last week.

Also, FYI - we saw several people with rental strollers from a rental company outside the park, that looked like they would hold up to a 60 lb child easily. Sadly, I don't remember the name of the company - I think it was something simple like "Orlando Stroller Rentals." You might try googling it?

Tinkyroo

Well we have always rented a double stroller for the kids. Last trip just a single since their prices went way up. I can't remember but I want to say $26 a day? We have three kids 8, 8 & 7. We would have them take turns riding in it. That way they still got walking time in. Also, we pack a lot to bring into the parks - food, water, jackets, Tylenol :))). We put one backpack on top and one between the kids' feet. This next trip we are going to try not to rent a stroller. Though walking around FW we might need it.

When they were younger they would sometimes nap in it so we were able to keep going and enjoy the park for the entire day. Strollers can definitely make a trip to the world more enjoyable for everyone. Though it can take a while to find it again after CMs rearrange the lot.

Belle91

I went to WDW for my first time in 1998. I was 6. I walked the whole time. The walking was so easy. It was July. I guess everyone is different. Strollers are fine unless people push them into people.

ann0d

Hey if it makes your life easier - use a stroller! I did for my 6 year old and he is so energetic. We we so happy to have one. We went to Walmart and purchased one for 15.00 and gave it away at the end of our trip too. It was even a Winnie the pooh one with a sunshade.

ProfSlim

Strollers are must for anyone under 80 years old ....and if you are older than 80 you need one of those motorized scooters !! :ROFLOL:

All kidding aside, I had a stroller on-the-ready for my kids (oldest is 7) this past year and it worked out well. Although we did rent a double stroller and it was very $$$$ it was worth it...my 7 year old is non-stop but I must say it was nice to have when he needed a small break (it was great for storage as well).

CAPTAIN HOOK

I have two daughters. On our first trip the eldest was 5 years old and the youngest was just under two.
We had one stroller which was used exclusively for my youngest when she wasn't wanting to walk by herself.
The eldest didn't complain about tired feet, legs etc, she was too busy enjoying everything Disney had to offer.

I'm not going to say whether healthy 6/7 year olds should be pushed around in strollers all day - I'd just say that kids don't have them when they go to school :lookaroun

toystorymaniacs

I have two daughters. On our first trip the eldest was 5 years old and the youngest was just under two.
We had one stroller which was used exclusively for my youngest when she wasn't wanting to walk by herself.
The eldest didn't complain about tired feet, legs etc, she was too busy enjoying everything Disney had to offer.

I'm not going to say whether healthy 6/7 year olds should be pushed around in strollers all day - I'd just say that kids don't have them when they go to school :lookaroun

Wow, where do your kids go to school that they walk 5-10 miles a day in 90 + degree heat for 8 or more hours a day? Where I live kids spend most of their school day inside doing work.

elizs77

DO NOT listen to what others have to say. You know your own child best, do what is right for him and your family.

Absolutely.

My DS was 5 on our last trip (he will be all of 6 this time!), and we didn't do a stroller for him. But it was very evident on the last day that he was getting very tuckered out. So, we rented a stroller for that day. And I don't regret it!

This year, our trip is one day shorter, so we'll see if we need it this time. But you know your kid - don't worry about what others think! You pay too much to go to Disney to be miserable when a simple stroller would change everything.

Now, if he was 15, that would be a different story! :lol:

Just an FYI..Last year I brought my double wide jogging stroller for my two kiddies. It was one that is easy to close and has the three wheels. At the gates of Magic Kingdom we we informed that they no longer allowed the double wide joggin strollers in the park as there were too many accidents. They exchanged ours for a double park stroller free of charge. We returned to our Disney Resort that evening and spoke to guest services about what had happened and explained that renting a stroller was not factored into our budget and nowhere did it say that double strollers were not allowed of we would not have hauled it all the way from NJ. They were so nice and gave us FREE stroller rental for our length of stay!! :ROFLOL:Thats the Disney way!!

wdwhoneymooner

I can tell you from experience, that a stroller will be needed for the 6 y/o if he will be walking all day especially if it's hot and muggy. Not to say that the child should be pushed around all day, but rather to have a stroller available when the crankiness starts to kick in and frequent breaks don't seem to help his tired little legs any longer. Let's face it: the parks are quite vast (especially AK and EPCOT) and the standing in lines can make a healthy adult feel weary never mind a wee one.

One more thing to really consider which may help your vacation be a more pleasant one: be SURE that your child is wearing comfortable walking shoes. This is one thing that can be easily overlooked from the excitement of planning a trip to WDW and I admit we did it. We brought along our son's best fitting sneakers but after 2 days, he complained that his feet, specifically his arches, were very, very sore. In fact, he was limping quite badly every evening so we made a special trip to the Croc outlet to get him a pair. For the rest of our vacation, not a peep from him about any pain or soreness. Thing is, he had Crocs at home, we just forgot to pack them.

elizs77

One more thing to really consider which may help your vacation be a more pleasant one: be SURE that your child is wearing comfortable walking shoes.

YES, yes and yes!!! The second time I went to Disney I was about 6 years old (circa 1983!), and my parents had me wear brand new tennis shoes. I remember that my feet were killing me - they told me just to toughen up. I ended up having the absolute worst blisters on my ankles and had to wear flip flops the rest of the trip. So, I totally second the good shoes!

As an aside, this was also the same trip where I touched some plant at Sea World, broke out in a horrific rash on the way back to our beach hotel and ended up in the ER at Halifax Medical Center in Daytona. Not a fun trip for me!

toystorymaniacs

Read the post - I said they don't have strollers at school I didn't say anything about walking 5-10 miles a day in 90 + degree heat for 8 or more hours a day?

That's my point, of course kids don't have strollers at school, there is no comparison to a child who might need or want at stroller at Disney to needing or wanting one at school.

WDW_Emily

My Parents still got me a Stroler when i was 8 on our first day because i got huge Blisters on my feet from walking through Animal kingdom. It ended up with the day being a lot less tiring for me and my younger sister and my parents were also able to relax more. we kept getting strolers the rest of the trip.

On a more recent trip, back in 2005 i believe, My youngest sister was about 5 and just like your son, she is very energetic, so we only rented a stroler for MK and EPCOT and she was fine walking around MGM and AK. The only bad thing was when we went to Disney Quest she wasn't in a stroler and it was about 7 at night and something caught her eye and she ran across to the other side of the street. Even though we got her back quickly there were a few moments that were really scary.

Now that i'm done rambling, I think you should get him a stroler, Maybe only bring it with you to the Bigger Parks or anywhere busy you are going to go.

WDWmazprty

lots-of-strollers.jpg

Um....:lookaroun

KC82271

In the past, I have travelled with my Godson - who at the time of the trips was 5, 7 and 8. Each time I rented a stroller - but as someone else said - for the most part it was used for bags and jackets. Around sunset, he would hop in. Never embarrased, always grateful to rest the legs.

More recently, traveling with my own daughter - who just turned 4 and has been to the world 6 times - things are different. First off the cost to rent is out of this world and comfort for a toddler is more important than convenience of renting. I bring the Graco LiteRider from home - and although she is a big girl for her age (43 lbs and 43 inches tall) we use the stroller more times than not. I do find in the Magic Kingdom, I park the stroller and she walks around a great deal. That being said, we do move it as we change "lands" - this way as we need it, we have it. Plus, the "luxury" of having the stroller from the gate to the bus and the bus to the room makes lugging it worth while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom