'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

TP2000

Box office numbers just dumped for all overseas markets this afternoon, reflecting this past weekend's global box office, bringing the global box office total for Strange World up to date. Now at $57 Million globally after a month in theaters.

The trend continues for Strange World that it is actually much weaker in foreign markets than it is in domestic markets.

If our betters can whiff their nose at Midwesterners who didn't flock to Strange World, they'd have to wear an N95 mask lined with fresh lavender to deal with the middle-class Australians and Japanese and Swedes and Germans! And the Mexicans and Poles and Filipinos and Indians really, really don't like Strange World.

Strange World was banned in most Muslim, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Palestinian markets. And Communist China.

ForeignersArePhobes.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Like I said at the beginning of this thread. I thought Strange World would fail because 1. It's character style was unimaginative. 2. They made the father look like bumbling idiot. The grandfather was an even bigger man child. Everyone else was there to treat him as a big kid and work on problems without him. I thought that was insulting to fathers everywhere. At least that is what I got from the trailer.

Sadly, this is now an almost mandatory formula that is not exclusive to Disney, but is often found in modern media.

If a production dares to show a traditional nuclear family with the parents still married, the husband/father is relegated to a bumbling fool, if not someone to just be pitied and made fun of openly.

Why can't they work together as a family and equally find a solution?

Because that would subversively imply that a marriage of equals is healthy and productive and inherently stable.

HR and your betters in the Faculty Lounge won't like that! You'll be accused of putting marginalized communities at further risk, you bigot. And lazy writers won't have easy jokes to slot into the next Disney cartoon. ;)

mickEblu

Like I said at the beginning of this thread. I thought Strange World would fail because 1. It's character style was unimaginative. 2. They made the father look like bumbling idiot. The grandfather was an even bigger man child. Everyone else was there to treat him as a big kid and work on problems without him. I thought that was insulting to fathers everywhere. At least that is what I got from the trailer.

This was the same problem Black Widow had. The Red Guardian started out as an effective leader of the household when they were undercover. When we see him again, he is complete idiot. The girls and mom take control over everything leaving him as nothing more than the muscle. Go girl power. The same thing happen again in the Incredibles 2. Why can't they work together as a family and equally find a solution?

Our great grandparents lived through the Great Depression. We’re living through the Great Over Correction.

BuddyThomas

Box office numbers just dumped for all overseas markets this afternoon, reflecting this past weekend's global box office, bringing the global box office total for Strange World up to date. Now at $56 Million globally after a month in theaters.

The trend continues for Strange World that it is actually much weaker in foreign markets than it is in domestic markets.

If our betters can whiff their nose at Midwesterners who didn't flock to Strange World, they'd have to wear an N95 mask lined with fresh lavender to deal with the middle-class Australians and Japanese and Swedes and Germans! And the Mexicans and Poles and Filipinos and Indians really, really don't like Strange World.

Strange World was banned in most Muslim, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Palestinian markets. And Communist China.

View attachment 686420

Dear God, make it stop…..make it stop.

Phroobar

Burbank agrees with you. Which is why they're mercifully sending it to Disney+ "for free!" this weekend. :D
You can actually spend money on the DVD as a Valentine's Day gift.

Ghost93

They made the father look like bumbling idiot. The grandfather was an even bigger man child. Everyone else was there to treat him as a big kid and work on problems without him. I thought that was insulting to fathers everywhere. At least that is what I got from the trailer.

This was the same problem Black Widow had. The Red Guardian started out as an effective leader of the household when they were undercover. When we see him again, he is complete idiot. The girls and mom take control over everything leaving him as nothing more than the muscle. Go girl power. The same thing happen again in the Incredibles 2. Why can't they work together as a family and equally find a solution?

This may be something that helps Avatar: The Way of Water in theaters. Unlike most other modern movies, Jake Sully is portrayed as a strong patriarch and father figure, and I think the themes of a healthy family unit will play well with audiences over the holiday season.

That's not to say that portraying dysfunctional families is a bad thing. But I feel a lot of movies nowadays are more focused on generational trauma and family strife, so Avatar the Way of Water may feel like a breath of fresh air in that regard.

Phroobar

This may be something that helps Avatar: The Way of Water in theaters. Unlike most other modern movies, Jake Sully is portrayed as a strong patriarch and father figure, and I think the themes of a healthy family unit will play well with audiences over the holiday season.

That's not to say that portraying dysfunctional families is a bad thing. But I feel a lot of movies nowadays are more focused on generational trauma and family strife, so Avatar the Way of Water may feel like a breath of fresh air in that regard.
I think that was a reason I liked it. Jake Sully was trying to be strong patriarch. He made mistakes but was doing the best he could. All long Neytiri was hissing at her kids and ready to beat them. Her character could have been stronger.

BuddyThomas

You can actually spend money on the DVD as a Valentine's Day gift.
Sounds great. I’ll buy it. Thanks for posting!

Ghost93

I think that was a reason I liked it. Jake Sully was trying to be strong patriarch. He made mistakes but was doing the best he could. All long Neytiri was hissing at her kids and ready to beat them. Her character could have been stronger.
While I don't like how Neytiri was sidelined in the second hour the movie, I think she and Jake both had moments where they were too harsh on the kids. There were times she told Jake he should treat the kids like "a family" instead of a squad, and there were times he reigned her anger in.

LittleBuford

If our betters can whiff their nose at Midwesterners who didn't flock to Strange World, they'd have to wear an N95 mask lined with fresh lavender to deal with the middle-class Australians and Japanese and Swedes and Germans!
I would say this undermines your argument that socially conservative American sensibilities are a key factor behind the film's failure. It hasn't done well in any market, liberal or otherwise.

LittleBuford

If a production dares to show a traditional nuclear family with the parents still married, the husband/father is relegated to a bumbling fool, if not someone to just be pitied and made fun of openly.
This is nothing new. On the contrary, it's a very well-established characterisation of traditional family dynamics. See The Flintstones, The Simpsons, etc.

ETA: I think the way you're describing the father's role in these scenarios is hyperbolic. It isn't as negative as you suggest.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Box office numbers just dumped for all overseas markets this afternoon, reflecting this past weekend's global box office, bringing the global box office total for Strange World up to date. Now at $57 Million globally after a month in theaters.

View attachment 686420

I know since you've become interested in Box Office in the last month or so that you like The Numbers site. But they are often behind by at least a few days when it comes to tallies.

Box Office Mojo is what most of the industry uses as its most up-to-date, for example it shows Strange World at $60.6M:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom