'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If I recall correctly, you've spent some time in Germany. It's interesting to note that the comma you've used in this sentence (separating a subject phrase from the verb) is very Germanic!
Or, the comma after 'environment' was accidentally dropped, which would have made "other than your native tongue" stand out as a parenthetical adjectival clause.

Phroobar

I thought we were calling it the Refresher.
iu

LittleBuford

Or, the comma after 'environment' was accidentally dropped, which would have made "other than your native tongue" stand out as a parenthetical adjectival clause.
That reading wouldn't make sense to me.

The German connection may not be relevant anyway, because you see such pre-verb commas used in English quite often. They used to be standard (they occur frequently in nineteenth-century prose) and have somehow survived the disapproval of modern usage guides.

TP2000

Whoa! I had to Google it to believe it, but I guess wallpaper is back! Mind officially blown. It looks way better this time around!

I just bought a new house in a new community, and a year ago when I was touring the model homes the perky saleslady would point out walls in rooms where their decorator had put in a "Wow Statement! wallpaper" (her words) and she assured me that I would find artistic and personal fulfillment by doing the same in whichever model I ended up buying. I made a mental note to add "Wow Statement!" to my vocabulary immediately. 😂

Wow Statement! wallpaper almost always involves the powder room. Sometimes a den. It's a mysterious power you don't want to overuse however. And like you said, the options we have now look much better than 40 years ago.

LittleBuford

Maybe it depends on where you live? I haven't seen wallpaper in forever but it seems like 90% of the dwellings around me, from condos to townhomes to family homes, are open concept and would be impossible to paper.
That’s a fair point. Though I now live in the US, I hail from the UK, and it’s mainly there that I recall seeing wallpaper.

DisneyHead123

I just bought a new house in a new community, and a year ago when I was touring the model homes the perky saleslady would point out walls in rooms where their decorator had put in a "Wow Statement! wallpaper" (her words) and she assured me that I would find artistic and personal fulfillment by doing the same in whichever model I ended up buying. I made a mental note to add "Wow Statement!" to my vocabulary immediately. 😂

Wow Statement! wallpaper almost always involves the powder room. Sometimes a den. It's a mysterious power you don't want to overuse however. And like you said, the options we have now look much better than 40 years ago.
That's so intriguing. It hasn't hit my area yet (classic urban sprawl suburbia land), but I feel like Utah is surprisingly cutting edge sometimes. I remember when the whole Young Living / doTERRA craze started, I was surprised to find out those were both Utah based startups.

I feel like whenever you walk past your wallpaper you have to pause for at least the first year and comment "Wow! Statement!"!

TP2000

Liked for use of the "powder room". I don't think I've heard that term in 20-30 years.
Isn't a "power room" considered a "half bath" in realtor speak? Bathroom with toilet & sink no shower or tub.

Yes, a powder room is also a half bath. But almost always located in the front half of the home where guests can access it easily. Near the entry area and/or sitting room, yet tucked down a hallway and discreet.

All this talk of powder rooms started me second guessing myself, so I just pulled up the floor plan for my home. Sure enough, even on the 2021 floor plan they called it a powder room, or "PWDR" for short. But it's noticeably different than the bathrooms in my home, which are called "Baths" on the floor plan. So I'm not crazy, nor is the saleslady who encouraged me to assert a bold personal style with "Wow Statement!" wallpaper in my "powder room".

TakeAPowder.jpg

Maybe it's just an American thing? @Heppenheimer, I got distinct Euro vibes from your posts in the past, and not just from your Alpine avatar. So perhaps this is just an Americanism? Powder Room? I should also mention that the new homes in this gated Utah community also have an option for a secured "Gun Room", which is most definitely American. 🤣

But I didn't choose that upgrade option. I just keep my Mossberg 590 under the bed, the old fashioned way. ;)

We do, but it's a bit colloquial. "Toilet" is the standard word for a room that has, well, a toilet (but no bath/shower) in it.

Toilet seems so.... blunt. We all know that's what happens inside these rooms, but should we really be that blunt about it? With guests? At a dinner party? "And here's the toilet if you need it". It seems very... blunt. :oops:

Last edited:

TP2000

That's so intriguing. It hasn't hit my area yet (classic urban sprawl suburbia land), but I feel like Utah is surprisingly cutting edge sometimes. I remember when the whole Young Living / doTERRA craze started, I was surprised to find out those were both Utah based startups.

If you'd told me 20 years ago that I'd be living in Utah, I would have laughed out loud. But here I am, and loving it. The community I am in is very modern, all mod homes with glass walls and sleek mod fixtures and even Internet! :oops:

I had to throw out my decades-old assumptions about Utah being a living version of the Donny & Marie Show. (Although I always loved Donny & Marie, but you understand.) It's actually quite modern and hip here, liquor flows and fun happens, and yet it's vastly cleaner and safer and saner than SoCal has become. Who knew?!?

I feel like whenever you walk past your wallpaper you have to pause for at least the first year and comment "Wow! Statement!"!

It's not just for wallpaper. Trust me, I use the phrase Wow Statement! in surprising and unorthodox ways now. 🤣

LittleBuford

Toilet seems so.... blunt. We all know that's what happens inside these rooms, but should we really be that blunt about it? With guests? At a dinner party? "And here's the toilet if you need it". It seems very... blunt. :oops:
As I mentioned above, “toilet” is itself originally a euphemism. It’s lost its euphemistic character because the other senses of the word “toilet” are now obsolete, but in British English at least, it is simply the standard term for the room in which one relieves oneself, and it is not considered blunt.

Note that the visitor websites for Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle both refer unashamedly to “Toilets” (what you would call public restrooms):

If it’s good enough for His Majesty . . .

RobWDW1971

With this domestic weekend's forecast and the film quickly and quietly exiting cinemas globally before being unceremoniously dumped on Disney+, we can start to close the book on this tentpole film and put its failure in historic context.

From Deadline on this weekend's Domestic BO: Strange World (Dis) 2,870 (-690) theaters, 3-day $2.2M (-41%) Total $33.8M/Wk 4

International currently is at approximately $23M and has only a few territories left to open. So in the spirit of the holiday season, we will be generous and say the film's global box office will end up somewhere near $70M (probably closer to $65M, but +/- $5M will not change the story).

With a complete audience rejection and the lowest CinemaScore in Disney animated history, here are some comps to put its box office in perspective (all numbers in today's dollars)

Recent major animated releases global box office:

- Minions: Rise of Gru: $939M
- Encanto: $256M (Covid impacted and available on Disney+ 30 days after release)
- The Bad Guys: $250M
- Lightyear: $226M
- Paw Patrol: The Movie: $144M (Yes, Strange World's box office is less than half of Paw Patrol)
- Strange World: $70M (estimated)

Historic Disney box office bombs global box office:

- Mars Needs Moms: $52M
- Strange World: $70M (estimated)
- Treasure Planet: $182M
- Home on the Range: $229M
- Atlantis: $312M
- Lone Ranger: $334M
- John Carter: $368M

The box office failure will be felt throughout the downstream ecosystem as there will be minimal home entertainment sales (EST/VOD/Physical), Disney+ has replaced their pre-negotiated Pay 1 window and box office bombs do not generate new subscribers (new account + first click), and there will be minimal demand/return from international Pay/Free windows which are priced based on box office.

In short, with a reported massive $180M production budget (before marketing and distribution), its very conservative estimated $150M ultimate loss (Disney obviously will not provide the actual loss so there will just be estimates), Strange World has now entered into the conversation of not just biggest Disney box office bombs, but the list of biggest non-Covid impacted disasters of all time.

#resoundingsuccess

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom