Storyliving by Disney - a Disney-branded, master-planned home community

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's weird how people are getting offended when you bring up actual numbers about Californians leaving.

It's like they have a personal commitment to California's population or something.

I think the major cities are overcrowded, overpriced, and crime is rising. It absolutely makes sense to me why people would want to move.
I don't think anyone is actually getting "offended". Its a discussion, and there is differing opinions.

Also honestly I don't think this data is really all that indicative of anything that some think it is. Its talking points, that is all. All states have crime, all states are seeing their prices go up, all states have homeless issues, large metro areas are overcrowded that is why they are metro areas.

But this less than 0.007% of the entire state population leaving is not a mass exodus. Now if you tell me California is losing 25-50% of its population over the course of a few years and never has new population come in, well then we might have something to really talk about.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

"Have you ever visited a Disney theme park resort, with its perfectly manicured and clean-scrubbed grounds, whimsical, yet reassuring architecture, chirpy employees, and general sense of cheery optimism, and thought how great it would be if you could take up permanent residence there? That’s sort of the idea behind the Mouse House’s latest venture: Disney-branded, master-planned home communities.

Today, the company announced “Storyliving by Disney, which will be part of the same division that oversees its theme parks, Disney Cruise Line, and other experiences. The first community, which will be known as Cotino and include about 1,900 housing units, will be in the Palm Springs city of Rancho Mirage, California.

“There is incredible demand for all things Disney. Our fans continue to look for new ways to engage with us, to keep Disney as part of their lives,” says Josh D’Amaro, chairman of Disney parks, experiences and products. At the branded communities, he adds, “you can be part of Disney all of the time.”

As for the “Storyliving” name, the communities will capitalize on the company’s sense of storytelling and placemaking. Instead of telling Mickey Mouse tales, however, they will focus on the culture, history, experience, food, and other attributes of the places in which they will be built.

Every single element of these communities will be steeped in a story,” D’Amaro notes. The residents, he says, will be active participants in the stories.

Prices, financing, and other details have not been announced, but the development will include a variety of properties such as condominiums, single-family homes, and estates. Rental units are not anticipated to be part of the mix. Families with young children and people of all ages will be able to purchase properties. Some of Cotino’s neighborhoods, however, will be designated for residents 55 and older, a market in which Disney seems especially interested."

More below -

Slap a label on it and call it Disney 🤑

truecoat

I don't think anyone is actually getting "offended". Its a discussion, and there is differing opinions.

Also honestly I don't think this data is really all that indicative of anything that some think it is. Its talking points, that is all. All states have crime, all states are seeing their prices go up, all states have homeless issues, large metro areas are overcrowded that is why they are metro areas.

But this less than 0.007% of the entire state population leaving is not a mass exodus. Now if you tell me California is losing 25-50% of its population over the course of a few years and never has new population come in, well then we might have something to really talk about.

Yeah, call me when the housing prices drop.

Parteecia

..."Officials on Friday released fresh details about the first Storyliving by Disney project, an ambitious effort in Riverside County to infuse a master-planned community with the Burbank entertainment giant’s trademark whimsy and wonder.

"Among the newly unveiled features of the in-the-works Cotino community is the 'Parr House' — a gathering space inspired in name, design and decor by the midcentury-style home of the superhero family in the Disney and Pixar film 'Incredibles 2.'...

..." 'Access to the Parr House, as well as other community features such as a designated beach area and certain events and activities will be open to those who opt to purchase membership in what Storyliving by Disney calls the Artisan Club.'...

..."Club membership will be open to Cotino residents and nonresidents.

“ 'A professionally managed public beach park will be accessible to local area residents and visitors to the Greater Palm Springs area with the purchase of a day pass,' the venture said in a statement. ...

...“ 'Walt Disney was so inspired by this place — he called it his "laughing place," ' Amy Young, a Walt Disney Imagineering creative director, said. ... 'In a sense, we’re following Walt’s footsteps here.' "...

Last edited:

CaptinEO

..."
Officials on Friday released fresh details about the first Storyliving by Disney project, an ambitious effort in Riverside County to infuse a master-planned community with the Burbank entertainment giant’s trademark whimsy and wonder.

"Among the newly unveiled features of the in-the-works Cotino community is the “Parr House” — a gathering space inspired in name, design and decor by the midcentury-style home of the superhero family in the Disney and Pixar film “Incredibles 2.”...

..."Access to the Parr House, as well as other community features such as a designated beach area and certain events and activities will be open to those who opt to purchase membership in what Storyliving by Disney calls the Artisan Club."...

..."Club membership will be open to Cotino residents and nonresidents.

“A professionally managed public beach park will be accessible to local area residents and visitors to the Greater Palm Springs area with the purchase of a day pass,” the venture said in a statement."...

...“Walt Disney was so inspired by this place — he called it his ‘laughing place,’” Amy Young, a Walt Disney Imagineering creative director, said. ... “In a sense, we’re following Walt’s footsteps here."...

Can they stop with the Walt Disney fakery they put in every press release. It probably irks them Walt wasn't around to see Star Wars.

TP2000

Can they stop with the Walt Disney fakery they put in every press release. It probably irks them Walt wasn't around to see Star Wars.

You're right, of course.

But if they keep saying that Walt found his racist "laughing place" at a master-planned community like Cotino, I don't want them to stop.

It's too good to stop. :cool:

mlayton144

You're right, of course.

But if they keep saying that Walt found his racist "laughing place" at a master-planned community like Cotino, I don't want them to stop.

It's too good to stop. :cool:

If you wanted to jump start sales - Maybe they could build a special retirement version of splash mountain at this community?

DLR92

I have change of heart…I would invest into buying a house. But I know I can get a better deal and property outside of Disney too.

Phroobar

..." 'Access to the Parr House, as well as other community features such as a designated beach area and certain events and activities will be open to those who opt to purchase membership in what Storyliving by Disney calls the Artisan Club.'...

“ 'A professionally managed public beach park will be accessible to local area residents and visitors to the Greater Palm Springs area with the purchase of a day pass,' the venture said in a statement. ...

So when you buy property there, you need pay additionally to use the Parr House (community club house).

You also need a "day pass" to leave the property. How is Mickey hiding the barbed wire?

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

...“ 'Walt Disney was so inspired by this place — he called it his "laughing place," ' Amy Young, a Walt Disney Imagineering creative director, said. ... 'In a sense, we’re following Walt’s footsteps here.' "...

>Make a direct reference to the evil Song of the South movie
>Close the ride based off the characters and erase all evidence they existed
That's hilarious.

Ghost93

>Make a direct reference to the evil Song of the South movie
>Close the ride based off the characters and erase all evidence they existed
That's hilarious.
Even though the "Everybody's Got a Laughin Place" song was featured in Splash Mountain, I actually wonder how many people realize the laughing place reference is from Song of the South. The movie has been withheld for so long that I don't think many people realize how influential it was on Walt and the Disney company as a whole.

TP2000

Even though the "Everybody's Got a Laughin Place" song was featured in Splash Mountain, I actually wonder how many people realize the laughing place reference is from Song of the South. The movie has been withheld for so long that I don't think many people realize how influential it was on Walt and the Disney company as a whole.

Agreed. But many folks under age 50 or so now think of "The Laughing Place" as a reference to Splash Mountain, as it was featured prominently in that ride on both coasts.

Which presents the same issue. Why are they still referencing a ride that has been erased for being "problematic"???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom