Storyliving by Disney - a Disney-branded, master-planned home community

TP2000

And by the time the next census rolls around it very well could be the opposite.

Using census data from the middle of a pandemic as some proof of a mass exodus is disingenuous at best.

Not when other major metro areas saw huge increases during the same 12 months that LA and San Francisco saw huge declines.

The population of LA County didn't decline by 159,000 because they all moved to the Moon.

The population of LA County declined by 159,000 because they mostly moved out of state to the American counties that saw big increases in population at the same time California's was declining.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Since you used to work in the mortgage industry, you likely know more about it that I do. I sold my house to an investment firm. They'll sell it to some family at some point, but I'm not going to worry about it. I'm thrilled with how it all turned out and I'm moving to Utah after a summer at the beach house.

Look, I know it's embarassing for some folks to admit that California is losing a few hundred thousand people per year while states like Texas and Florida grow by hundreds of thousands per year.

But it's happening. It's not a typo. It's being tracked by the US Census Bureau. California saw a net loss of 262,000 people between 2020 and 2021.

The data, published Thursday by the U.S. Census Bureau, show California as a whole saw a net loss of nearly 262,000 residents between July 1, 2020, and July 1, 2021, with the lion’s share of the losses coming from Los Angeles County: 159,621 people. The second-largest countywide loss in the nation was New York, which declined by about 111,000 residents.
Going to quote this again since you edited it.

First I'm happy that you're getting what you want with your house sale and move.

Second was I surprised by the news of people leaving the state during the pandemic, no. Was I surprised that population went down, no. Was I embarrassed about it, no. And why, because I've been hearing this same song and dance for decades and yet California is still the largest state in the union by population, and not by a small margin. For as many times as I've heard about a mass exodus over the last 30 years you'd think California was now the smallest state, because no one is left.

The demographics of this state have been changing for the last 40 years, and accelerated in the last 20 years, and that scares a lot of people. As such its become somewhat of a dog whistle topic because the influx of new population coming into California especially recently have been immigrants that are more educated and earn higher wages.

So really am I worried about California, absolutely not. Will California be ok, 100% without a doubt yes.

TP2000

The demographics of this state have been changing for the last 40 years, and accelerated in the last 20 years, and that scares a lot of people. As such its become somewhat of a dog whistle topic because the influx of new population coming into California especially recently have been immigrants that are more educated and earn higher wages.

So really am I worried about California, absolutely not. Will California be ok, 100% without a doubt yes.

I don't know anyone who is scared by demographics. But I do know people fed up with high taxes, homeless meth zombies in their towns, Nordstrom being looted, and clueless bureacrats in Sacramento. That said...

You do realize the United States Census Bureau is good at math, right? I hate math, but the US Census has really good math people on staff. Plus computers and calculators to use.

The US Census counts the people that moved in or were newly born in every state, and they count the people that moved out or died in every state. Then they come up with the population total each year.

Using that official math, the US Census has found that in 2021 California lost population while Texas and Florida gained population.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You do realize the United States Census Bureau is good at math, right? I hate math, but the US Census has really good math people on staff. Plus computers and calculators to use.

The US Census counts the people that moved in or were newly born in every state, and they count the people that moved out or died in every state. Then they come up with the population total each year.

Using that official math, the US Census has found that in 2021 California lost population while Texas and Florida gained population.

Is California still the most populous state in the union and has been since the 1960s, yes or no?

Texas would literally have to spend the next 20 years, through 2045, increasing at 2% a year to even get up to California's population. And that only would happen if California never increased population again. And don't get me started on Florida, it would never reach the same population.

So again am I worried about California, no. Will California be ok, yes 100% yes.

Oh and let me say that all this "exodus" out of California does just brings those same California ideals to other states, turning them Purple. We saw it with Texas this last cycle. :)

Parteecia

California has well documented housing and water shortages and the nation's worst traffic. Isn't people leaving a good thing? Perhaps one day we can reach a happy homeostasis.

Absolute population isn't as important as what you do with it. And our senators per capita ratio would improve.

truecoat

I don't know anyone who is scared by demographics. But I do know people fed up with high taxes, homeless meth zombies in their towns, Nordstrom being looted, and clueless bureacrats in Sacramento. That said...

The Census Bureau is only good if they are allowed to complete the task which they weren't.

Lawsuit says census takers were pressured to falsify data.

denyuntilcaught

Is your assertion that Census workers have over-counted in Texas, Florida and Arizona where population increased, but under-counted in California, Illinois and New York where population decreased?
I think that there's 100% a correlation between the Census undercounting minorities and it disproportionally impacting states with a greater population of said minorities.

That being said, in LA County a "loss" of 111K in a population of 10MM amounts to literally one percent.

That is, in no way, considered a mass exodus, despite what Fox wants us to believe.

TP2000

I think that there's 100% a correlation between the Census undercounting minorities and it disproportionally impacting states with a greater population of said minorities.

That being said, in LA County a "loss" of 111K in a population of 10MM amounts to literally one percent.

The decline in population in Lxs Angelxs County was not 111K in one year, it was 159,000. Or, more specifically, 159,621 people according the US Census Bureau. California as a whole saw a net loss of 262,000 people during that same year.

The problem is that the majority of that net decline was made up of middle and upper-middle class families. Tax-paying, law-abiding, solid Americans. They vote, they go to jury duty, they keep their lawns mowed, they have valid car insurance, they make their kids do their homework, and they are happily active in their communities. They are the exact type of citizens you want in your town to maintain a stable and safe society.

If the 262,000 people who left California last year were all homeless meth addicts, or sex traffickers, or looters and shoplifters, that would be a good thing. But that's not who is leaving California in droves. And that's the real problem, aside from losing net population.

California's not just losing people, it's losing good people.

That is, in no way, considered a mass exodus, despite what Fox wants us to believe.

Actually, a broad range of media outlets have covered this unfolding demographic story. No less than the LA Times, that hotbed of conservative hatred ;) , did a suprisingly decent and blunt story on this topic just a couple weeks ago...

"In terms of total numbers, Los Angeles County lost about 160,000 residents — more than any other county in the nation, the data show. But L.A. County has about 10 million people, so the per capita loss was slightly more than 1% compared with 6.7% in San Francisco and 6.9% in New York.

“We are in this new demographic era for California of very slow or maybe even negative growth,” said Hans Johnson, a demographer with the Public Policy Institute of California. “And it does have implications for everything in our state — from how we live our lives to which schools are getting closed down to how much capacity we might need for transportation networks, and eventually to housing.”

The data, published Thursday by the U.S. Census Bureau, show California as a whole saw a net loss of nearly 262,000 residents between July 1, 2020, and July 1, 2021, with the lion’s share of the losses coming from Los Angeles County: 159,621 people. The second-largest countywide loss in the nation was New York, which declined by about 111,000 residents."

Last edited:

TP2000

In other news, I just did a Dry Cleaners run and repack for my return to the desert tomorrow for Easter Vacation. But this time I'll be up in the hills at a hotel, looking down on the valley where Storyliving will be.

And since the audience there will be out-of-state family and assorted sunburnt Canadians hogging barstools, I doubt the topic of Storyliving will come up in conversation as much as it did last week when I was just a few miles away on the valley floor and seemingly every cocktail party and dinner sociable was abuzz about "Disney is building a themed community up near Sunnylands!". :rolleyes:

Stevek

The decline in population in Lxs Angelxs County was not 111K in one year, it was 159,000. Or, more specifically, 159,621 people according the US Census Bureau. California as a whole saw a net loss of 262,000 people during that same year.

The problem is that the majority of that net decline was made up of middle and upper-middle class families. Tax-paying, law-abiding, solid Americans. They vote, they go to jury duty, they keep their lawns mowed, they have valid car insurance, they make their kids do their homework, and they are happily active in their communities. They are the exact type of citizens you want in your town to maintain a stable and safe society.

If the 262,000 people who left California last year were all homeless meth addicts, or sex traffickers, or looters and shoplifters, that would be a good thing. But that's not who is leaving California in droves. And that's the real problem, aside from losing net population.

California's not just losing people, it's losing good people.

We're just losing the anti-Newsom, anti-mask, anti-vaccine people to Florida and Texas...I kinda joke but know a handful of people that have exactly because of those last 2 reasons.

denyuntilcaught

We're just losing the anti-Newsom, anti-mask, anti-vaccine people to Florida and Texas...I kinda joke but know a handful of people that have exactly because of those last 2 reasons.
Purely anecdotal as well, but I've noticed that most, if not all, of those who I've known to have left are also the people you describe.

Funny enough, I'd say 80% of those who I know who have left went to Tennessee of all places.

Still, 159K, or 1%, is not a "mass exodus." Those are buzzwords, designed to paint a picture that CA is collapsing.

Stevek

Purely anecdotal as well, but I've noticed that most, if not all, of those who I've known to have left are also the people you describe.

Funny enough, I'd say 80% of those who I know who have left went to Tennessee of all places.

Still, 159K, or 1%, is not a "mass exodus." Those are buzzwords, designed to paint a picture that CA is collapsing.
No, not a mass exodus at all. We've had multiple friends leave for Tennessee as well but most left before covid...just wanted to get away from traffic and they could buy significantly larger houses for quite a bit less money. I was just very surprised that families I know uprooted and left all of their extended family back here in CA because they were anti everything that was a mandate.

Honestly, I'd be just fine if more people leave CA. I love that I have a nice home is a great community, I'm an hour from the mountains, 30 minutes from the beach, we have lovely weather most of the year. Traffic sucks but I've learned to deal with it over my 40 years driving the CA freeways.

Last edited:

TP2000

Yes, you can label them any way you'd like if it makes you feel better. One former poster here even bragged that he was glad they were leaving California because they were usually of a certain race. o_O

I imagine some of them might even buy a second home in places like Storyliving once they get older and have the money to invest in such things, because as you say the climate and scenery of California is hard to replicate in other states. And that's something Sacramento will never be able to alter.

But they are middle and upper-middle class law-abiding, tax-paying, lawn-mowing people who have left and are leaving. Myself included. (I pay all my taxes, have valid car insurance, obey the law, and keep my yard looking lovely! I also donate to local charities, and chat happily to strangers in supermarket checkout lines. I'm a generally good guy, if I do say so myself.)

Here's a great report from Chapman University here in Orange County about the hundreds of thousands of Californians who are now leaving every year, and why it's a problem because they are middle-aged, middle-income taxpayers with children. It's a demographic nightmare for California.

CaptinEO

Yes, you can label them any way you'd like if it makes you feel better. One former poster here even bragged that he was glad they were leaving California because they were usually of a certain race. o_O

I imagine some of them might even buy a second home in places like Storyliving once they get older and have the money to invest in such things, because as you say the climate and scenery of California is hard to replicate in other states. And that's something Sacramento will never be able to alter.

But they are middle and upper-middle class law-abiding, tax-paying, lawn-mowing people who have left and are leaving. Myself included. (I pay all my taxes, have valid car insurance, obey the law, and keep my yard looking lovely! I also donate to local charities, and chat happily to strangers in supermarket checkout lines. I'm a generally good guy, if I do say so myself.)

Here's a great report from Chapman University here in Orange County about the hundreds of thousands of Californians who are now leaving every year, and why it's a problem because they are middle-aged, middle-income taxpayers with children. It's a demographic nightmare for California.

It's weird how people are getting offended when you bring up actual numbers about Californians leaving.

It's like they have a personal commitment to California's population or something.

I think the major cities are overcrowded, overpriced, and crime is rising. It absolutely makes sense to me why people would want to move.

TP2000

It's weird how people are getting offended when you bring up actual numbers about Californians leaving.

It's simply hard data and factual information captured by the Unites States Census Bureau.

California is now losing hundreds of thousands of people every year, and that was never supposed to happen according to the "experts" :rolleyes: just five years ago. Instead, states like Texas, Florida, Tennessee, Arizona, the Carolinas, etc. are gaining hundreds of thousands of people every year.

I think the major cities are overcrowded, overpriced, and crime is rising. It absolutely makes sense to me why people would want to move.

It's a disaster in LA and San Francisco, that's for sure. It's gotten grungy and bad in parts of OC and San Diego now too. Nowhere is safe to escape, except out of this state entirely. :(

In happier news, and back OT, here in Rancho Mirage the past two days it's been incredibly lovely. The valley here is absolutely bursting with people for Coachella! I Uber'ed up the road to Palm Springs last night to meet some friends for drinks, and it was like Times Square on New Year's Eve! There were many noticeable East Coast accents (and their telltale fashion choices) among the crowd, it was not just Westerners.

Unlike last week in La Quinta where all the locals were talking about Storyliving, no one is talking about Storyliving this week. It's all Coachella, all the time. I've never seen it busier.

As another Disney aside, I arrived into the hotel's very busy State Fare restaurant at 11:45am today craving brunch foods and the lovely waitress said I could ignore the luncheon menu and went to get me a breakfast menu and said the chef would make me anything I'd like off of whatever menu I want! A custom-altered Eggs Benedict half ham and half crab, strong coffee, OJ, and a freshly made avocado breakfast salad later and I was thrilled beyond belief to be so cared for! My waitress got a very healthy gratuity for her gracious efficiency.

Try that stunt of requesting custom breakfast for lunch at Storytellers Cafe, and get a tight smile from the harried CM and only the assigned lunch menu with a curt reminder that breakfast ended at 11:00am.
World Class Guest Service! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom