Storyliving by Disney - a Disney-branded, master-planned home community

TP2000

Just remembered the reason "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" is allegedly problematic isn't because of its ties to Song of the South, but the unfounded allegations that it's based off the minstrel song "Ole Zip ." Of course, there's no actual proof that "Ole Zip " inspired the writers of "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" but they both have the word "zip" and therefore the song was canceled. Next to be canceled: Ziplock bags.

This is where it gets scary for me personally....

Until I read this post, I had never put that together about why Ziploc bags sponsored Splash Mountain. It went totally unrelated to me inside my brain. I only figured that Ziploc was the sponsor because their bags helps keep your electronics and important stuff dry on Splash Mountain.

But it was actually Ziploc because of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. Sometimes I'm fairly witty and sharp, but then... sometimes I can be so dense. :banghead:

IMG_20191104_094311178.jpg

Ghost93

Just remembered the reason "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" is allegedly problematic isn't because of its ties to Song of the South, but the unfounded allegations that it's based off the minstrel song "Ole Zip ." Of course, there's no actual proof that "Ole Zip " inspired the writers of "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" but they both have the word "zip" and therefore the song was canceled. Next to be canceled: Ziplock bags.
Ziploc bags can be renamed "Tiana's Containers" if the controversy around the name Ziploc ever gets out of hand.

Consumer

This is where it gets scary for me personally....

Until I read this post, I had never put that together about why Ziploc bags sponsored Splash Mountain. It went totally unrelated to me inside my brain. I only figured that Ziploc was the sponsor because their bags helps keep your electronics and important stuff dry on Splash Mountain.

But it was actually Ziploc because of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. Sometimes I'm fairly witty and sharp, but then... sometimes I can be so dense. :banghead:

IMG_20191104_094311178.jpg
I still have one of those Splash Mountain Ziplock bags somewhere.

TP2000

Disstevefan1

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It makes we wonder if whoever made the rendering put it in as a joke.

Or whoever made the rendering didn’t get the memo, “Erase Splash Mountain”.
3. They made the artwork and all the preliminary plans way before the announcement of the Splash retheme and forgot to change it. Just like we're going to be finding for years to come references to Splash Mountain and SotS throughout the parks simply because they're everywhere crammed into every nook and cranny and isolated background music track.

As a guess.

Sir_Cliff

Maybe I am being naïve, but I honestly think it would have been considered ok as a tribute to something Walt said more than Song of The South given the song/phrase is not nearly as iconic as Zip-a-dee-doo-dah.

It was the Splash Mountain fans who started jumping up and down on the Internet and making a big deal about it. If that hadn't happened, it's quite possible this 'erasure' wouldn't have happened either. In other words, it wouldn't surprise me if the people complaining about the complete erasure of the film were the ones that ended up pushing for further erasure of the film and will continue to do so every time any reference shows up as a way of proving their point.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Maybe I am being naïve, but I honestly think it would have been considered ok as a tribute to something Walt said more than Song of The South given the song/phrase is not nearly as iconic as Zip-a-dee-doo-dah.
It may be a tribute to Walt, but is it a reference to anything he ever actually said?

It certainly felt like a new quote to me the first time I crossed it during the initial Storyliving announcement. We all know how Disney PR likes to trot out old out-of-context Walt quotes to justify controversial changes, so I just assumed this was one of those, albeit linking it to a property that modern Disney has always kept its distance from.

While I don't consider myself to be a Walt scholar, I've read a couple biographies, seen nearly every filmed interview he did, and have read extensively about Disney (the company) during his lifetime. And despite this, I've hardly ever seen any concrete references to his time spent in Palm Springs. The way its always referenced as an indirect quote is especially suspicious to me.

Other than his tie pin from the Smoke Tree Ranch being included on the Partners statue, he never seemed to bring it up. I also suspect the STR pin's importance may have been overemphasized after the the statue's creation, since he only seemed to wear it in a handful of interviews filmed around the same time (possibly even the same day/week) in the mid-60s.

Granted, although Walt often referenced his childhood as inspiration, he did a good job of keeping his personal life as an adult private. For example, it wasn't until several decades after his death that historians agreed that Sharon, his eldest daughter, was adopted. So perhaps he was just keeping his personal vacations out of the spotlight.

And perhaps the term "laughingplace" was much more common then than it is today, and the association with the song is a result of the song's popularity not the origin of the term (similart to how "let it go" will forever be linked to the song). But that particular wordchoice, highlighted by quotes and everything, really raised my suspicions about the Walt story's origins.

Disney loves to invoke Walt's name to try and make an otherwise-questionable decision untouchable by the fans. We've seen it countless times, especially with the "Disneyland will never be complete" quote. To me, this one always seemed more like wishful thinking from PR than an actual reference to anything that's been documented in the past.

Disstevefan1

It was the Splash Mountain fans who started jumping up and down on the Internet and making a big deal about it. If that hadn't happened, it's quite possible this 'erasure' wouldn't have happened either. In other words, it wouldn't surprise me if the people complaining about the complete erasure of the film were the ones that ended up pushing for further erasure of the film and will continue to do so every time any reference shows up as a way of proving their point.
TWDC is focused on erasing all references of SotS from the face of the earth.

Tokyo Disneyland is very smart by holding out. TWDC will eventually be paying BIG BUCKS to Tokyo Disneyland to erase their Splash and erasing all the references to SotS.

Sir_Cliff

It may be a tribute to Walt, but is it a reference to anything he ever actually said?

It certainly felt like a new quote to me the first time I crossed it during the initial Storyliving announcement. We all know how Disney PR likes to trot out old out-of-context Walt quotes to justify controversial changes, so I just assumed this was one of those, albeit linking it to a property that modern Disney has always kept its distance from.

While I don't consider myself to be a Walt scholar, I've read a couple biographies, seen nearly every filmed interview he did, and have read extensively about Disney (the company) during his lifetime. And despite this, I've hardly ever seen any concrete references to his time spent in Palm Springs. The way its always referenced as an indirect quote is especially suspicious to me.

Other than his tie pin from the Smoke Tree Ranch being included on the Partners statue, he never seemed to bring it up. I also suspect the STR pin's importance may have been overemphasized after the the statue's creation, since he only seemed to wear it in a handful of interviews filmed around the same time (possibly even the same day/week) in the mid-60s.

Granted, although Walt often referenced his childhood as inspiration, he did a good job of keeping his personal life as an adult private. For example, it wasn't until several decades after his death that historians agreed that Sharon, his eldest daughter, was adopted. So perhaps he was just keeping his personal vacations out of the spotlight.

And perhaps the term "laughingplace" was much more common then than it is today, and the association with the song is a result of the song's popularity not the origin of the term (similart to how "let it go" will forever be linked to the song). But that particular wordchoice, highlighted by quotes and everything, really raised my suspicions about the Walt story's origins.

Disney loves to invoke Walt's name to try and make an otherwise-questionable decision untouchable by the fans. We've seen it countless times, especially with the "Disneyland will never be complete" quote. To me, this one always seemed more like wishful thinking from PR than an actual reference to anything that's been documented in the past.
As far as I can tell, the quote from Walt comes from a 1965 issue of Palm Springs Life: https://www.palmspringslife.com/walt-disney-king-of-fantasy/

Regardless, the thing that struck me about the reaction was that it was not from people clamouring to eliminate all references to SotS from the face of the earth due to the issues with the original film. Those who made a big deal of the name seemed to be those who supposedly reject the closing of Splash Mountain and elimination of other references to the film but are apparently intent on making any remaining reference to the film a point of controversy.

Parteecia

As far as I can tell, the quote from Walt comes from a 1965 issue of Palm Springs Life: https://www.palmspringslife.com/walt-disney-king-of-fantasy/

Regardless, the thing that struck me about the reaction was that it was not from people clamouring to eliminate all references to SotS from the face of the earth due to the issues with the original film. Those who made a big deal of the name seemed to be those who supposedly reject the closing of Splash Mountain and elimination of other references to the film but are apparently intent on making any remaining reference to the film a point of controversy.
Thanks for the link! That was a fascinating glimpse into the past.

Last edited:

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Tokyo Disneyland is very smart by holding out. TWDC will eventually be paying BIG BUCKS to Tokyo Disneyland to erase their Splash and erasing all the references to SotS.
Very curious to see what'll happen IF it does happen. I don't see it happening until TDL's Space Mountain overhaul is done, and even then will people outside of the Theme Parks Community care at that point?

Robbiem

Great article. Thanks for sharing 😀✌️

TP2000

Eventually?

Website is marketing-speak overload.

Holy Communication Interns, Batman!

This can't be written by a human It's got to be AI generated now. There's just no other good excuse for this.

"These communities are envisioned as enriching enclaves conceived with the simple notion of bringing people together. Managed by Disney Cast Members who deliver legendary service and, of course, fun. No one else could bring to life such a vibrant mix of experiences and activities that will inspire new passions."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom