Storyliving by Disney - a Disney-branded, master-planned home community

MarvelCharacterNerd

Even though the "Everybody's Got a Laughin Place" song was featured in Splash Mountain, I actually wonder how many people realize the laughing place reference is from Song of the South. The movie has been withheld for so long that I don't think many people realize how influential it was on Walt and the Disney company as a whole.
I'm amazed that fan website of the same name hasn't been pressured into a name change yet.

VJ

longtable park. because walt just must've spent time at a long table during his time in palm springs!

i want to be optimistic! i do! but like! look at this!!

Sir_Cliff

longtable park. because walt just must've spent time at a long table during his time in palm springs!

i want to be optimistic! i do! but like! look at this!!

I find the whole development a bit of a questionable venture, but what looks bad to you in these images?

VJ

I find the whole development a bit of a questionable venture, but what looks bad to you in these images?
oh, that was my bad! i should have said "read this" instead. it looks pretty but the justification of names like "longtable park" (when the justification is "walt spent time at tables with family") and "laughing place ranch" is silly to me

TP2000

These new Cotino images are very underwhelming. Why did they even waste a Parks Blog post about this?

It's a small building (community center?) with some trees and a long table next to it. Because Walt once sat at a table.

SS247826472647862874682.jpg

For those who have vacation homes, or retirement homes, in and around Rancho Mirage, these recent images from Disney are nothing to be excited about. I spend time in Rancho Mirage, or in nearby areas with friends, about twice per year. There are some truly stunning housing developments there with incredible lakes and landscape architecture.

These two images Disney just released look like any Dog Park or small neighborhood park in the country. Instead, existing housing/resort developments in and around Rancho Mirage actually look like this in real life...

pool.jpg

VC_Experiences_LaQuinta_RF_170007135.jpg

Why did Disney even bother releasing those vague, generic park images in a wordy Parks Blog post? That's kind of odd...

Consumer

It's stupid, but it might explain why they still have Laughin' Place still playing in the parks: it's divorced far enough from the original theme.
Although "Laughlin' Place" is certainly less iconic, the only media I associate the song with is Splash Mountain and Song of the South, whereas "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" is more iconic but I associate it with a lot of media outside of its source material. If you were to ask which song is more divorced from the original media, I would lean towards "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" due to the extent of media to which it's been in outside of Song of the South. But hey, what do I know.

Ghost93

That's weird, 'cause the main plot point of the ride is that Br'er Rabbit wants to go to the Laughin' Place to leave all his troubles behind and have fun.
I think Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah's removal from the parks has more to do with its being a more famous song and closely tied with Song of the South. Anytime you see Song of the South referenced on YouTube, the clip that is always shown is the clip of Uncle Remus singing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. It's the one scene from the controversial film that most people have seen.

In comparison, "Everybody's Got A Laughing Place" is generally only remembered by the die-hard Disney fans. A reference to the song is less likely to get the average person thinking of Song of the South in the same way that Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah did.

Ghost93

Although "Laughlin' Place" is certainly less iconic, the only media I associate the song with is Splash Mountain and Song of the South, whereas "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" is more iconic but I associate it with a lot of media outside of its source material. If you were to ask which song is more divorced from the original media, I would lean towards "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" due to the extent of media to which it's been in outside of Song of the South. But hey, what do I know.
I think Disney HAD done a good job of divorcing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah from Song of the South and making people forget where it had originally came from, but after 2020 and the increased scrutiny of Splash Mountain, I think the general public is now more aware of it being a Song of the South song.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I think Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah's removal from the parks has more to do with its being a more famous song and closely tied with Song of the South. Anytime you see Song of the South referenced on YouTube, the clip that is always shown is the clip of Uncle Remus singing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. It's the one scene from the controversial film that most people have seen.
Disney also released a series of Sing-A-Long tapes in the '80s and '90s that had songs from the south on them, including Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, which was the featured song of the first tape.
316.jpg

(they labelled it as volume two in the nineties for some reason)

mickEblu

I think Disney HAD done a good job of divorcing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah from Song of the South and making people forget where it had originally came from, but after 2020 and the increased scrutiny of Splash Mountain, I think the general public is now more aware of it being a Song of the South song.

Just a friendly reminder that there was no real scrutiny of Splash Mountain and it was open for three years after the announcement with no issues.

Consumer

Just remembered the reason "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" is allegedly problematic isn't because of its ties to Song of the South, but the unfounded allegations that it's based off the minstrel song "Ole Zip ." Of course, there's no actual proof that "Ole Zip " inspired the writers of "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" but they both have the word "zip" and therefore the song was canceled. Next to be canceled: Ziplock bags.

mickEblu

Just remembered the reason "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" is allegedly problematic isn't because of its ties to Song of the South, but the unfounded allegations that it's based off the minstrel song "Ole Zip ." Of course, there's no actual proof that "Ole Zip " inspired the writers of "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" but they both have the word "zip" and therefore the song was canceled. Next to be canceled: Ziplock bags.

No wonder I couldn’t find any zip ties at Home Depot the other day. This has gone too far!

Consumer

No wonder I couldn’t find any zip ties at Home Depot the other day. This has gone too far!
What makes the argument even worse is that the phrase "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" is clearly just nonsense derived from other traditional joyful exclamations, such as "Yippee," "Hoorah," and "Yay." It would be like canceling "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo" because "Bibbidi" kinda sounds like "Uppity" and that word has a racist connotation.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Said minstrel song was also apparently the basis for Turkey in the Straw, and they recently had that playing as part of one of the Disney100 toys.

6102056074595.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom