Stitch's Great Move Out?

FigmentJedi

The problem with Stitch's Great Escape was that Stitch wasn't so much Stitch as much as he was Poochie. Part of that whole time when Disney marketing suggested to Imagineering and other divisions of the company that Stitch should be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine and when he wasn't around, all the other characters would ask "Where's Stitch?"

ToTBellHop

then I stand corrected. :animwink:
Well, it's surprising--they geared the attraction toward kids who aren't tall enough to see it.

I think that's the problem--with the animatronics, they could make a fantastic show for the older set, but they created a (very thin) story and script that doesn't really appeal to those of us >40".

baymenxpac

Move Stitch to Tiki Room and create a BRAND NEW ATTRACTION. Alien has no place in MK imo.

i have to agree. i know that there is a lot of love for the original storyline of alien encounter, but i personally never enjoyed it. and i think setting it in magic kingdom definitely played a role in why it wasn't well received.

stitch would have a natural home in the tiki room. and a brand new attraction would certainly be a welcome addition.

menamechris

Original Poster
stitch would have a natural home in the tiki room. and a brand new attraction would certainly be a welcome addition.

Now that the MSEP is back, they should do something there with Pete's Dragon. That silly dragon is always disappearing.. :sohappy:

Jedi Wizard

AE had a height requirement--44" I believe (same as Space Mountain). And Stitch, in fact, also has one. 40".

It has a height requirement and it doesn't even move. That ought to tell you something.

I am not a Stitch character hater, the way some people are. I actually like the movie and love the character, who is my daughter's favorite. But the attraction needs to be replaced. The old AE would be better because at least folks would know what to expect going in on the scare factor.

If they want a Stitch based attraction (for merchandising reasons) they need to make it based on the nice "Ohana means family" Stitch that kids love.

KaliSplash

Got to say I was a BIG fan of Mission to Mars. But we now have a much better version of that over at Epcot. Never a big fan of AE and I understand why Disney didn't like and why many people on this board loved it. It was very much "out of Disney's comfort zone" which parents hated and young adults loved. Stitch is bad. Really bad. There has to be something else that can be done here.

Move Stitch to Tiki Room and create a BRAND NEW ATTRACTION. Alien has no place in MK imo.
It wasn't based on the movie Alien.

I LOVED this attraction, and while I don't HATE Stitch, I would LOVE for ExtraTERRORestrial: Alien Encounter to make a return.
Now that the MSEP is back, they should do something there with Pete's Dragon. That silly dragon is always disappearing.. :sohappy:
... in Tomorrowland? :veryconfu

PalisadesPkteer

Its those really bad CHAIRS that you sit in.

That shoulder harness when it came down on me left me bruised and sore for several days.

The only good part of this attraction is the que show.

So, there are plans. It would need to be somewhat linked to Tomorrow.

1. Tron (No, this is too recent)
2. Wall - E (most likely the one to use)
3. Phil of the Future (Nope, too old and not a tremendous hit)
4. Incredibles (Everyone seems to think of this one but for the life of me don't know what a modern day super hero family has to do with the future)
5. Wishes: (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Space Patrol, etc.0

UrbanDonovan

It would need to be somewhat linked to Tomorrow.

4. Incredibles (Everyone seems to think of this one but for the life of me don't know what a modern day super hero family has to do with the future)

How about an ORIGINAL idea that has zero ties to any current Disney property?

David S.

Got to say I was a BIG fan of Mission to Mars. But we now have a much better version of that over at Epcot. Never a big fan of AE and I understand why Disney didn't like and why many people on this board loved it. It was very much "out of Disney's comfort zone" which parents hated and young adults loved. Stitch is bad. Really bad. There has to be something else that can be done here.

I guess I'm in the minority as usual, then, because I was a "young adult" when AE was open, and have never been a parent, and when it was open it was my least favorite attraction in the history of the Magic Kingdom! Too dark, cynical, and un-Disneylike for my taste, and out of my "Disney comfort zone!" ;)

When Stitch opened, I considered it a MAJOR improvement over AE, and still do!

Well, it's surprising--they geared the attraction toward kids who aren't tall enough to see it.

I think that's the problem--with the animatronics, they could make a fantastic show for the older set, but they created a (very thin) story and script that doesn't really appeal to those of us >40".

Again, I'm in the minority, but as someone quite a bit taller than 40 inches (and over age 30), I really enjoy Stitch's Great Escape! I think the character is cute and I enjoy his playfully anarchic spirit in the attraction. Granted, it's not in my MK or WDW Top 10, but I enjoy it enough for it to be in my regular MK rotation (which AE was never in, and neither is Laugh Floor).

Then again, I'm used to enjoying attractions that are supposedly "kiddie", and my Disney favorites include things like EVERYTHING in Fantasyland, Mickey's Toontown Fair, the Country Bears, Tiki Birds, the singing critter elements of Splash Mountain, Figment (BOTH the original AND current), Seas With Nemo and Friends, Gran Fiesta Tour, etc. I even love the Playhouse Disney show at the Studios! ;)

DTM93

Its those really bad CHAIRS that you sit in.

That shoulder harness when it came down on me left me bruised and sore for several days.

The only good part of this attraction is the que show.

So, there are plans. It would need to be somewhat linked to Tomorrow.

I always worry when it goes dark and you can't see anything around you as I'm terrified of jumping out my skin!
So when the harness went down that was THE worst thing in the world as I thought it was going to drop or something.
But I know a lot of people don't like it but I do, I thought it was good, not amazing or the best thing ever but I did like it.

dweezil78

I LOVED Alien Encounter. The original (or 2nd iteration after Eisner had them go back and make it better) was an amazing assault on the senses. Maybe not 100% Disney-like, but 'cmon, it's not like it was that racy either.

Let's not forget that thousands of people (little kids included) witness a SUICIDE at the Haunted Mansion every single day.

It was only a few years ago that I got to experience Stitch as I've been living in Cali ever since it opened. I figured, even if they changed up the main character, they've still got all this great tech -- scary alien or cute creature, how different can it be? I was definitely not prepared for the atrocity that is SGE. What a terrible, dumbing down of a once great attraction.

It's not funny enough and it's not thrilling enough. It simply does not deliver in any one area in particular. SUCH a bummer.

blueberetta86

I've never been too offended by SGE, but during my last trip I was kind of shocked to see how neglected the showroom is. I guess I should say one of the showrooms, I guess I overlooked the fact that there are two.

As soon as I walked in I could immediately smell the chili-dog burp, which I had forgotten about, and spoiled one of the only amusing things about the attraction. I figure they either aren't doing a very good job of ventilating the room, or the smell is just baked in after being pumped out every 10 minutes for years. The shoulder bars are showing a lot of wear, they look pretty rough. Something kept dripping on me during the show, definitely wasn't an effect as it started dripping as soon as I sat down.

But the most offensive thing was that the Stitch animatronic literally had holes from wear-and-tear in its "skin" in several spots. You could even see the yellow foam or stuffing or whatever underneath...ugh.

Magenta Panther

I've never been too offended by SGE, but during my last trip I was kind of shocked to see how neglected the showroom is. I guess I should say one of the showrooms, I guess I overlooked the fact that there are two.

As soon as I walked in I could immediately smell the chili-dog burp, which I had forgotten about, and spoiled one of the only amusing things about the attraction. I figure they either aren't doing a very good job of ventilating the room, or the smell is just baked in after being pumped out every 10 minutes for years. The shoulder bars are showing a lot of wear, they look pretty rough. Something kept dripping on me during the show, definitely wasn't an effect as it started dripping as soon as I sat down.

But the most offensive thing was that the Stitch animatronic literally had holes from wear-and-tear in its "skin" in several spots. You could even see the yellow foam or stuffing or whatever underneath...ugh.

Oh that is shameful. That sounds even worse than the state the Country Bears were in before their refurb. :eek::mad:

the-reason14

i totally agree, as alien encounters was one of my favorite rides. i do think it has alot to do with popularity, but remember that the waits are shorter because there are multiple rooms used for the attraction, and it seats a LOT of people per session. that may explain the constant low wait time.

i like the concept of the ride but truley miss the grown up alien encounter experience.

But when it first opened back in 2004, it had long lines. Did it not have a high capacity then?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom