Stitch's Great Move Out?

menamechris

Original Poster
Sorry if this has already been discussed at length on here (but I am new..ha) :wave: Does anyone have any idea if Stitch's Great Escape is on the radar for replacement? It has to be one of the worst attractions on property. (Maybe I would feel differently if I didn't grow up on Alien Encounter). When I visited on New Year's Eve (arguably one of the busiest day of the year), while virtually every other attraction had an hour wait or longer, Stitch stayed pretty constant at 10 minutes (basically, ya wait till the show in front of you lets out). It was SOOO sad - and that is such a huge area. Something great could go in there!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There are plans. Wether it happens who knows. There are logistics and budget, not to mention the will to do it.

cynic710

i totally agree, as alien encounters was one of my favorite rides. i do think it has alot to do with popularity, but remember that the waits are shorter because there are multiple rooms used for the attraction, and it seats a LOT of people per session. that may explain the constant low wait time.

i like the concept of the ride but truley miss the grown up alien encounter experience.

DisneyJunkie

I really and truly wish Disney would figure out a way to get a decent attraction into that location. There has NEVER been anything good in that spot. Alien Encounter was god-awful, and Stitch's Great Escape is worse than that.

Figment571

I have to disagree Junkie, I think that Alien Encounter was actually a great attraction. Disney was trying to move out of the "comfort zone" they like to reside in. It appealed to people other than the young family. Imo this what Disney needs to do more. Not necessarily go wholesale coasters and what-not, but experiences such as AE that appeal to teens/younger adults that are uniquely Disney in the level of detail.

ToTBellHop

AE was certainly unique--maybe a bit much for the Magic Kingdom, though (could it have been more at home at the Studios?). The concept behind Stitch is fun enough, and I do love Stitch himself (and his animatronic is fantastic), it just fails in execution mostly due to being retrofitted into a ride system that doesn't work for it. As it is, it is too scary for the audience it is scripted toward...and I almost never get a seat where all of the effects are working anymore.

aladdin2007

There are plans. Wether it happens who knows. There are logistics and budget, not to mention the will to do it.

Interesting. Perfect time to give stitch a new home with some feathered friends across the way, good use of reuse/recycle yet kinda something new at the same time. I guess they ditched that original plan sadly but maybe they will go back to it.

DisneyMusician2

Alien Encounter was really a pretty cool experience, and it was good Disney fun. Little humor, original story, plays with your senses, but was a bit scary for the little ones.

Now Mission to Mars (or the Moon) was actually fun! If you don't remember it, they used those inflatable-deflatable seat cushion to 'simulate' take-off g-forces. Very cool for its time.

menamechris

Original Poster
Alien Encounter was really a pretty cool experience, and it was good Disney fun. Little humor, original story, plays with your senses, but was a bit scary for the little ones.

I know that is one of the excuses for being taken out was that it was too intense for kids - but when it came out, i must have been a pre-teen, and I thought it was hella cool. I can't imagine taking a small child on it - just as you wouldn't take a small child on Space Mountain. And nowadays, I seem to hear more kids crying at the water and air-pop effects on Mckey's Philharmagic, than I recall in the Alien Encounter.

DisneyMusician2

I know that is one of the excuses for being taken out was that it was too intense for kids - but when it came out, i must have been a pre-teen, and I thought it was hella cool. I can't imagine taking a small child on it - just as you wouldn't take a small child on Space Mountain. And nowadays, I seem to hear more kids crying at the water and air-pop effects on Mckey's Philharmagic, than I recall in the Alien Encounter.

Philharmagic freaked the heck out of my son the first time. Had to take off his glasses and he plugged his ears. Liked it the second trip much better!

ChrisFL

Premium Member

The difference is that Space Mountain had a height requirement...I don't think AE did, but the parents decided to just ignore the warning signs about how it's intense, scary, etc.

baanman

Philharmagic

My daughter has the same problem with Philharmagic. We have to cover the vents in the seats with our hands so she isn't hit by water.

ToTBellHop

The difference is that Space Mountain had a height requirement...I don't think AE did, but the parents decided to just ignore the warning signs about how it's intense, scary, etc.
AE had a height requirement--44" I believe (same as Space Mountain). And Stitch, in fact, also has one. 40".

PhilharMagician

Between the two theaters for SGE it has a decent per hour capacity for a theater show. This helps keep the lines down along with it's subpar show.

Magenta Panther

The Stitch attraction is kind of a heart-breaker. Not just because it's so obnoxious, but because, technically, it's amazing. The amount of craft that went into that show is admirable. But it's still...a bad show. Bummer. I wouldn't be sad to see it go. But...maybe it could be retooled with a new story? It's the story that's so disappointing and off-putting. Could it possibly be fixed?

menamechris

Original Poster
The Stitch attraction is kind of a heart-breaker. Not just because it's so obnoxious, but because, technically, it's amazing. The amount of craft that went into that show is admirable. But it's still...a bad show. Bummer. I wouldn't be sad to see it go. But...maybe it could be retooled with a new story? It's the story that's so disappointing and off-putting. Could it possibly be fixed?

Retooling to a new story would even be better. I know some people love the 'lil guy, but I just am not fond of Stitch. The character is extremely obnoxious to me. I was never happier when they finally took Stitch out of the monorail announcements. It made me cringe everytime, and I never thought they would replace it. Okay - so there's my bias. Haha!

bgraham34

They should turn Stitch into a Wall-e attraction. They should take you picture and show you what you would look like 100 pounds heaver. The should pump all delicous smells of foods into the show and then at the end while walking into the gift shop they should sell Tofu and carrots.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom