Stitch's Great Move Out?

Crazy Harry

I believe there were actually plans to bring Alien Encounter to DL in the 1990s.

That's what I remember hearing as well. I wonder if things would have been different if it came to DL first then WDW. I think the fact also that DL has more thrills than WDW magic kingdom may have made a difference. Either way, I really don't think it was nessisary to replace. Complaints were based on ignorance, nothing more. It was nice to have something a little more intense to better satisfy the thrill seeking tendancies of visitors. And now we have an "attraction" that still makes kids cry but fewer people like.

I like the idea of utilizing Stitch, just not in the current form. Now, an intergalactic zoo ride featuring stitch as well as more intense creatures would be cool.

pumpkin7

shoot me if you will, but i really enjoyed stitch. never experienced AE unfortunately, but i think stitch worked great. love the stitch AA... would buy it off ebay lol.

bluewings

I'm definitely in the minority here but I did not like Alien Encounter at all. The 3 times I went on it it did nothing for me. Sometimes when I don't like an attraction the first time, something will click in the second or third to make it enjoyable but that never happened for me. Didn't find it scary and each time found myself just waiting for it to hurry up and end. I definitely wasn't the most brave kid either--could never do haunted houses and other things like that. SGE isn't great by any means either, I'd prefer that they come up with something totally new for that spot.

hrcollectibles

i totally agree, as alien encounters was one of my favorite rides. i do think it has alot to do with popularity, but remember that the waits are shorter because there are multiple rooms used for the attraction, and it seats a LOT of people per session. that may explain the constant low wait time.

i like the concept of the ride but truley miss the grown up alien encounter experience.

Alien Encounter, just like Stitch's Great Escape, are not rides they are attractions. I really like Alien Encounter. And I miss it dearly. But there is nothing we can do about it now. Sure some may not like Stitch's Great Escape, but just because you ( I am using you generically) do not enjoy something doesn't mean it should be removed. I do not like roller coasters, does that mean I want all roller coasters removed, no. That's one of the great things about the theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort. There is something for everyone.

Crazy Harry

Alien Encounter, just like Stitch's Great Escape, are not rides they are attractions. I really like Alien Encounter. And I miss it dearly. But there is nothing we can do about it now. Sure some may not like Stitch's Great Escape, but just because you ( I am using you generically) do not enjoy something doesn't mean it should be removed. I do not like roller coasters, does that mean I want all roller coasters removed, no. That's one of the great things about the theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort. There is something for everyone.

I don't have facts to back this up , just what I have heard from other members, so correct me if I am wrong, but I beleive that Stitch is not that popular and gets frequent complaints for making kids cry. And if the rumors are true and disney is looking into a replacement, then it is not just a select few who want it replaced.

cymbaldiva

I miss the heck out of Alien Encounter ~ still have the plush Skippy that my exDH bought me ...I thought that it was a great fit for Tomorrowland. Future, aliens...what's not to love? I almost always enjoyed that show.

The reason I say almost always is because while the attraction was well marked as being intense, for whatever reason parents would insist on bringing very small children. I wish I could remember what the height requirement was. What I can say is nothing ruins the whole experience quite like having some random small child absolutely terrified thru the whole show.... screaming, vomiting - blech.

I have no particular like or dislike for Stitch, but I don't think that this was the place for him.

cheezbat

The truth is that any attraction where I have artificial hot dog smell burped on me just isn't a great experience.

HaHa I have to agree...It makes me nausious every time i smell that. It doesn't even smell like a chili dog.
While the animatronic is a good one, the attraction overall is so poor in comparison to what it replaced. Alien Encounter was a great idea, but just too scary for little ones. And of course if its too scary for little ones, TDO doesn't think it belongs in the MK. :shrug:

ABigBrassBand

Y'know, guys, Stitch isn't that bad...the only problem I see with it are that it was built for the wrong ride system, but the pre-show and theming is rather good, if you ask me.

RSoxNo1

Y'know, guys, Stitch isn't that bad...the only problem I see with it are that it was built for the wrong ride system, but the pre-show and theming is rather good, if you ask me.

I've said this for a while. While the show itself is bad, there are elements of the attraction that are done quite well. The made up language in the holding areas is well done, the animatronics are very impressive, and the score is decent as well.

It's just a shame that the attraction itself isn't up to the same standards.

ABigBrassBand

I've said this for a while. While the show itself is bad, there are elements of the attraction that are done quite well. The made up language in the holding areas is well done, the animatronics are very impressive, and the score is decent as well.

It's just a shame that the attraction itself isn't up to the same standards.

Exactly, I've thought this for a while now...it's a shame that they couldn't bring that quality to the actual attraction and instead you end up with one of my least favorite experiences in WDW.

That being said, I would prefer they gut Monsters instead of Stitch.

scottnj1966

They should add some sort of ride that simulates rocketing to the moon, or better yet mars.
I can imagine seats in a circular pattern all facing two large screens, one below, and one above.
The could even make the seats rumble.

The possibilities are endless!!!

voodoo321

Would there still be the love of AE if it was around now? Probably not. I went on it once as a teen and don't remember being very impressed. Never had the desire to ride again. I remember being in the dark most of the time, which is one of the main complaints about Dinosaur.
I went on Stitch a couple of years ago after hearing all the complaints and while I didn't think it was great, I really didn't understand all the animosity towards it, still don't. I've been on it since and it wears a little thin. I don't like shows. I like moving through an attraction, ie ride. Yet I would sit through Stitch more times than Buzz. Talk about an overated attraction. Bring back Wings or Dreamflight moreso than AE. Neither will happen.

RSoxNo1

Would there still be the love of AE if it was around now? Probably not. I went on it once as a teen and don't remember being very impressed. Never had the desire to ride again. I remember being in the dark most of the time, which is one of the main complaints about Dinosaur.
I went on Stitch a couple of years ago after hearing all the complaints and while I didn't think it was great, I really didn't understand all the animosity towards it, still don't. I've been on it since and it wears a little thin. I don't like shows. I like moving through an attraction, ie ride. Yet I would sit through Stitch more times than Buzz. Talk about an overated attraction. Bring back Wings or Dreamflight moreso than AE. Neither will happen.

There may not be love, but there won't be fanboy vitriole. Every day guests... that's another story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom