Stitch's Great Escape TEST RUN!

cherrynegra

Bravo Dave!! Excellent review!! I like how you gave an honest opinion on the effects and the show overall, but acknowledge that it's an attraction probably geared towards children. Good job!! :king:

Can anyone else confirm this? :lol: ;)

Just kidding... Thanks for the review. Now just to convince my wife we need to go back in January... :)

SpaceRacer2003

Its great to hear first hand reports about up and coming attractions... one thing I will point out though in regards to the "rough" animations. Remember when Mission:Space was previewing and even past the 8.15.03 soft open, the CGI animations were very very basic and still included the X,Y,Z, overlays.

So maybe there is still some cleaning up to do... again not haveing seen it myself I can't really guess but all things considered not bad for a day two (or three) report.

dxwwf3

Thanks for the review Dave.

It seems that the "laser" guns might be the best thing about this attraction. And I can see how this would be a great effect.

Also from the sounds of things it seems that SGE is a "Kiddie AE". Not that there is anything wrong with that. That is about what I expected and I guess that's what they were going for. It's good to hear that this probably isn't going to be so scary that most kids won't like it (Because it certainly seems that you agree with me in thinking that (while a "family" attraction) SGE is still aimed for the kids).

Now for some opinions. I know that you weren't a big AE fan Dave, but IN YOUR OWN OPINION which one do you like better SGE or AE? It might not be as easy to compare the two as I thought it would be, but still which one would be your favorite?

And how much of the building looks similar from AE?

dxwwf3

MrNonacho said:
Yes, Skippy looks and sounds the same. It sounded like many of the people in the room with me really appreciated that.

Best news I've heard all day :sohappy:

Hopefully the Skippy love will continue for many more years.

PhotoDave219

Ahhh Good point. Didnt think on that. Although the animation looked final of the characters, dunno about the backgrounds. Im not trying to be harsh, i was just expecting more, especially when it came to what can be done with the technology that existed....

Thanks Amigo.

Thelazer

They were supposed to be doing some filming and green screen work today in Tommorowland for a media preview of the Stitch Ride. Not sure why a media preview would need a green screen. Is it possible they are re-filming certain parts for the background scenes with Stitch already?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
dxwwf3 said:
Also I have to ask how much did the building still look like AE inside?

Most of the inside, while now in a new "blue" theme, still looks very similar to how it looked when it was AE. There is no way you won't be thinking of AE when you are in the building, unfortunately...

Also, I agree with what Dave said about the animation. I would have expected higher quality for something so permanent.

PhotoDave219

dxwwf3 said:
Thanks for the review Dave.

It seems that the "laser" guns might be the best thing about this attraction. And I can see how this would be a great effect.

Also from the sounds of things it seems that SGE is a "Kiddie AE". Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Now for some opinions. I know that you weren't a big AE fan Dave, but IN YOUR OWN OPINION which one do you like better SGE or AE? It might not be as easy to compare the two as I thought it would be, but still which one would be your favorite?

And how much of the building looks similar from AE?
Building is the same as AE. Same chambers, same preshows, same rooms. Different paint and curtains.

Nothing wrong with a Family ride, i was just expecting MORE.

I was an AE fan. I rode it every chance i could. Dragged my mom on it too. I remember the first time I did it back in 98, my dad and i ran around and did it again because it just messed with you and was intense.

Which is better? Depends. I liked AE because it was just so twisted and funny, a great diacotomy of a corporation; a ruthless evil man at a head of a corporation (eisner poking fun at himself maybe?).

SGE is a kids ride, plain and simple. Similar effects to AE. Totally different rides, each has their strong points. SGE will be a great attraction, it will be here for awhile. Kids will love it, it will draw crowds, etc. But i wanted/expected more. (....Perhaps living with Rob has desensitized me to the grossness and total destructive and messy nature of Stitch)

If stitch had some Adult humor in it, I'd probably like it better but AE just was soooo funny in spots. Apples and oranges, each has their strong points and weak points. I'll ride it again in Cast Previews but Im not going to wait outside for another random test.

PhotoDave219

Thelazer said:
They were supposed to be doing some filming and green screen work today in Tommorowland for a media preview of the Stitch Ride. Not sure why a media preview would need a green screen. Is it possible they are re-filming certain parts for the background scenes with Stitch already?
Not sure, rumor has it its some sort of Commercial. I saw a sign that said "WDW Commercial Extra Parking <----" and pointing towards the main parking lot tonight. So.... Educated guess says possibly a commercial.

dxwwf3

MrNonacho said:
There is no way you won't be thinking of AE when you are in the building, unfortunately...

Well I guess I don't look so dumb now for saying that I would never be able to give SGE a fair chance because I believed that everywhere I looked in the attraction, I would be thinking of AE. Now maybe people will understand why I won't be experiencing SGE anytime soon.

Thanks MrNonacho!

dxwwf3

PhotoDave219 said:
Building is the same as AE. Same chambers, same preshows, same rooms. Different paint and curtains.

Nothing wrong with a Family ride, i was just expecting MORE.

I was an AE fan. I rode it every chance i could. Dragged my mom on it too. I remember the first time I did it back in 98, my dad and i ran around and did it again because it just messed with you and was intense.

Which is better? Depends. I liked AE because it was just so twisted and funny, a great diacotomy of a corporation; a ruthless evil man at a head of a corporation (eisner poking fun at himself maybe?).

SGE is a kids ride, plain and simple. Similar effects to AE. Totally different rides, each has their strong points. SGE will be a great attraction, it will be here for awhile. Kids will love it, it will draw crowds, etc. But i wanted/expected more. (....Perhaps living with Rob has desensitized me to the grossness and total destructive and messy nature of Stitch)

If stitch had some Adult humor in it, I'd probably like it better but AE just was soooo funny in spots. Apples and oranges, each has their strong points and weak points. I'll ride it again in Cast Previews but Im not going to wait outside for another random test.

Thanks again Dave!

I see what you are saying. I figured the "apples and oranges" comparison could be used here. Of course people will always try to compare, but I guess it is possible to be a fan of both.

tirian

Brief moment of silence for the now-deceased AE.

NOW...
WOOHOO! The Magic Kingdom is actually getting a new E-ticket! Money is actually being spent! The World is a better place! Peace and justice for all!

wannab@dis

tirian said:
Brief moment of silence for the now-deceased AE.

NOW... WOOHOO! The Magic Kingdom is actually getting a new E-ticket! Money is actually being spent! The World is a better place! Peace and justice for all!

Welcome to the boards, Tirian! :D

hmmm.... what's the consensus here? Is SGE an E-Ticket? Was AE an E-Ticket?

Personally, I would not give either E-Ticket status. I think of e-tickets as something that really impresses you and leaves you wanting more magic. Again, it's probably a personal experience thing, but in my opinion SGE does not equal the mountains, ToT, RnRC, M:S, TT, etc.

Oddly, my first quick e-ticket list includes only thrill rides, but upon further thinking, I would have to include some of the Epcot pavilions on a whole. But, I guess I've always had a problem with giving e-ticket status to a show / movie / entertainment driven attraction.

rainfully

I had a dream that I went on SGE last night... I was soooo excited and thinking how awesome it would be to talk about it on the forums... this kid got out from under his harness and was running around ard ruining it though... haha... and it turned out that it was some kind of weird Stitch/Philharmagic hybrid... I don't know how to describe it.

Well needless to say I was mad when I woke up and I wasn't at WDW at all... but in my bed... mehhh...

OK... I guess that's a little OT but I just wanted to share... thanks for the reviews everyone!

kodakcastmember

Original Poster
BPGStudios said:
Hey all,

I just registered here, and would like to know if theres been a pattern of times the attraction is open for previews. I'll be in WDW on Friday, and would like to know if there is any time I should "Just so happen to be" around Stitch. Thanks!

-BPGStudios

Try around 7 pm. that's when I got in

imagineer99

I for one am glad to hear that it is more "kid-friendly."

I was never a fan of Alien Encounter. I will never understand its appeal. Different strokes, for different folks--I guess;)

Watching Kids running out screaming and crying at the top of their lungs as they exited the theater, really just made me feel awful, especially at Disney.

Disney created SGE to fulfill two main purposes.

1). Create an attraction that has the popular "Stitch" character
2). Create an attraction that uses similar technology to Alien Encounter, so that not much has to be changed, yet is more family friendly.

From what I read on this thread, it seems like Disney delivered on it's goals.

I doubt SGE will become a favorite attraction of mine. However, I really look forward to riding it.

PhotoDave219

wannab@dis said:
hmmm.... what's the consensus here? Is SGE an E-Ticket? Was AE an E-Ticket?

Personally, I would not give either E-Ticket status. I think of e-tickets as something that really impresses you and leaves you wanting more magic. Again, it's probably a personal experience thing, but in my opinion SGE does not equal the mountains, ToT, RnRC, M:S, TT, etc.
If you find an Old Ticket Book, You'll quickly find out that Hall of Presidents is an E-Ticket attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom