Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Sectorkeeper71

I would think that with Universal already using the Simpsons, much like the Marvel properties they would have some sort of territorial exclusive on what is already used at USO.
And as others have pointed out...you cannot get more un-Disney than The Simpsons...
Disney has enough true Disney properties to fill a dozen theme parks without repetition if they wanted to...
There’s already rumors the simpsons is going to get replaced by something else sooner than their contract expiration in 2028; It doesn’t mean Disney *should* do something with it, but it’ll give them options to do so

In the Parks
No

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I dunno, I think he's on to something. The only dark ride Tomorrowland has is Buzz, and Magic Kingdom needs more people-eater non-thrill rides as is.

I'm not sure if there's any space in Tomorrowland for another dark ride... is the Stitch building big enough for one? Or they could bulldoze the Speedway, but I doubt they have plans to do that anytime soon.
Buzz Lightyear, sure, but just because they include roller coasters, don't forget Space Mountain and Tron.

And technically, because the seats move around the stage, you could even call Carousel of Progress a dark ride.

Purduevian

I dunno, I think he's on to something. The only dark ride Tomorrowland has is Buzz, and Magic Kingdom needs more people-eater non-thrill rides as is.

I'm not sure if there's any space in Tomorrowland for another dark ride... is the Stitch building big enough for one? Or they could bulldoze the Speedway, but I doubt they have plans to do that anytime soon.
Hard to tell exactly what is stitch vs Auties, vs Cosmic rays, vs Star Traders... but I get ~24,000 sqft
1706552022258.png

Pooh is ~17,000sqft for reference
1706552253586.png

CoasterSnoop

I've been looking through old posts in this thread in disbelief and frustration.

We were talking about this thing operating seasonally in 2016. It gave an unceremonious final show at the beginning of 2018, a rushjob was done to strip the animatronics within a few months and then... nothing. As far as we can tell, barring animatronics, the interior is still exactly the same as it was during its last show five years ago. And here we are, five years later, and we're still shooting concepts back-and-forth of what "could" go here while Disney appears to be at the same stage of the conversation (if they're even seriously having that conversation). This thing has been the world's best-themed break room for five years.

And this isn't some whatever building off in the corner of Hooha Land. This abandoned attraction building is front and center at the most attended theme park in the world. That it appears a replacement for this isn't a priority right now, that Disney would rather focus on a Beyond BTMR blue sky project that can barely be considered to be at a serious point in development, at this point it's ridiculous. Was SGE linked to overall lower guest satisfaction scores for the park? Sure. Given its lack of popularity, was it really a big help in park capacity? Most likely not. It's still much better than an abandoned building that has been abandoned for five years, and the 2018 rushjob seriously calls the judgement of management into question. If even starting a replacement effort is such an issue, why were show elements torn down in the first place?

I know I'm probably not saying anything new, but paying attention to this has been frustrating and at this Year 5 milestone I feel like it bears repeating. It seems super understated because the quality of SGE was considered questionable at best, but this is an all-time WDW flub imo. Regardless of the quality of a replacement, at least it would be something, and at this point every second they drag their feet on it makes that empty hole right at the front of the most attended theme park in the world bigger and bigger. They don't need to have a replacement up and ready tomorrow, they just need to have a replacement in the works.

UNCgolf

I've been looking through old posts in this thread in disbelief and frustration.

We were talking about this thing operating seasonally in 2016. It gave an unceremonious final show at the beginning of 2018, a rushjob was done to strip the animatronics within a few months and then... nothing. As far as we can tell, barring animatronics, the interior is still exactly the same as it was during its last show five years ago. And here we are, five years later, and we're still shooting concepts back-and-forth of what "could" go here while Disney appears to be at the same stage of the conversation (if they're even seriously having that conversation). This thing has been the world's best-themed break room for five years.

And this isn't some whatever building off in the corner of Hooha Land. This abandoned attraction building is front and center at the most attended theme park in the world. That it appears a replacement for this isn't a priority right now, that Disney would rather focus on a Beyond BTMR blue sky project that can barely be considered to be at a serious point in development, at this point it's ridiculous. Was SGE linked to overall lower guest satisfaction scores for the park? Sure. Given its lack of popularity, was it really a big help in park capacity? Most likely not. It's still much better than an abandoned building that has been abandoned for five years, and the 2018 rushjob seriously calls the judgement of management into question. If even starting a replacement effort is such an issue, why were show elements torn down in the first place?

I know I'm probably not saying anything new, but paying attention to this has been frustrating and at this Year 5 milestone I feel like it bears repeating. It seems super understated because the quality of SGE was considered questionable at best, but this is an all-time WDW flub imo. Regardless of the quality of a replacement, at least it would be something, and at this point every second they drag their feet on it makes that empty hole right at the front of the most attended theme park in the world bigger and bigger. They don't need to have a replacement up and ready tomorrow, they just need to have a replacement in the works.

It's very bad, but still nothing compared to the old Wonders of Life pavilion being closed since 2007.

DisneyDean97

Eh, Guardians should have been a high budget trackless dark ride on the Timekeeper/Galaxy Palace Theater/Buzz Lightyear pad, Tron should have gone on the Mission Space pad, Big Bang Coaster to UoE, and an interactive theater show with Rocket and Groot in the Extraterrorestrial spot.

:)
I agree with most of what you said, although, imo, I don't think Marvel should be in the castle parks, that should be for true Disney IPs not acquired IPs

Splash4eva

Sadly. They just dont care & why should they. As you state how popular Disney still is. Granted that belief is slowly deteriorating

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hard to tell exactly what is stitch vs Auties, vs Cosmic rays, vs Star Traders... but I get ~24,000 sqftView attachment 765711
Pooh is ~17,000sqft for reference
View attachment 765712
This thread, like history, repeats itself. ;)

I've scoped this out earlier and got similar numbers:

SGE: 18.4k sqft / .42 acres
Snacks and shops: 9k sqft / .2 acres
Total: 27.4k sqft / .64 acres

Peter Pan: 13.5 sqft / .31 acres

So, yeah, you could have a repeat of one of the shortest and lowest capacity dark rides in that space. ;)

For comparison, Buzz is .55 acres.

View attachment 285644

TheIceBaron

I can see them doing a cheap reskin with a similar story to SGE but make the alien be baby yoda. There is no Star Wars in WDW’s Tomorrowland but it exists in many of the other castle parks.

fgmnt

At this point gutting the building to expand the size of Merchant of Venus/Star Traders would be the way to go...
Eh, by keeping around that revolting Power & Light Building that in my opinion foreclosed changes to the retail footprint in Tomorrowland. Having an indoor dining area in the old MoV spot shows me they are not interested in expanding merchandise sqft in the land.

Bocabear

This! Absolutely THIS!
It feels like The Walt Disney Company is creatively bankrupt...And I am sure it is just the constant budget cuts and million dollar mistakes (Like the flubbed EPCOT redo ) that are keeping any meaningful development of new attractions on the back burner. It is already too late to try and address Epic Universe...and ignoring it and staying the course of adding nothing and letting attractions remain shuttered might just turn out to be a bad idea...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom