Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

James Alucobond

It's kind of crazy that such prime Tomorrowland real estate has now been unused for what, 8 years? But, Disneyland's Peoplemover/Rocket Rods have been abandoned for almost three times as long. Either way, it's ridiculous.
Tomorrowland is in an almost continuous sorry state. Stitch needs a replacement, Space Ranger Spin is embarrassingly tired, the PeopleMover's show windows could easily be redressed yet remain untouched, Cosmic Ray's and Star Traders are hideous, raygun gothic bits and bobs still unevenly dot the area, the stage sits ugly and unused, the Carousel is long overdue for an update, the Speedway continues to pump out gas fumes, Space Mountain needs a retracking, and the TRON gravity building looms large in need of some dressing.

I wish it were getting one tenth of the attention that seems to be focused beyond Thunder Mountain.

aladdin2007

Tomorrowland is in an almost continuous sorry state. Stitch needs a replacement, Space Ranger Spin is embarrassingly tired, the PeopleMover's show windows could easily be redressed yet remain untouched, Cosmic Ray's and Star Traders are hideous, raygun gothic bits and bobs still unevenly dot the area, the stage sits ugly and unused, the Carousel is long overdue for an update, the Speedway continues to pump out gas fumes, Space Mountain needs a retracking, and the TRON gravity building looms large in need of some dressing.

I wish it were getting one tenth of the attention that seems to be focused beyond Thunder Mountain.
agree with all the above, to add to that the people mover is totally in the dark inside space mountain now, what happened to being able to view down into the queue and what happened to the glowing star effects overhead.......and the haphazard paint schemes throughout the land making it look like a ghetto. Its all bad. Just proves how bad management is too.

Bocabear

Tomorrowland was my favorite land as a kid....It is heartbreaking to see it in it's current state... YES! Time to do something with Buzz, boot the Monsters to DHS, Replace Stitch, Completely revitalize and replace the scenes on the Peoplemover...adding some scenic elements within the Space Mountain building instead of just inky blackness (when the panels were glowing on the rockets, at least there was something to see) Come up with some fun futuristic themed attractions!!and please sweet baby Jesus in the manger, re-fit the Speedway with super futuristic looking cars and add some great show scenes to the attraction...It can be done...they have done it elsewhere... Bring the Tomorrow back to Tomorrowland!!!

fgmnt

Tomorrowland was my favorite land as a kid....It is heartbreaking to see it in it's current state... YES! Time to do something with Buzz, boot the Monsters to DHS, Replace Stitch, Completely revitalize and replace the scenes on the Peoplemover...adding some scenic elements within the Space Mountain building instead of just inky blackness (when the panels were glowing on the rockets, at least there was something to see) Come up with some fun futuristic themed attractions!!and please sweet baby Jesus in the manger, re-fit the Speedway with super futuristic looking cars and add some great show scenes to the attraction...It can be done...they have done it elsewhere... Bring the Tomorrow back to Tomorrowland!!!
Does any of this maximize the share price?

Bocabear

I agree...it can... It can make WDW better than it has been for decades... It can also make EPIC look trite...but they have to exceed in theme and design...not barely hit below the mark as it seems they have been doing of late.
Disney's success was always about going above and beyond expectations...delivering experiences and design never before seen... and they can do this again if they care to....

celluloid

I’ve said it before and will say it again. They need to double down on retro futurism. They’ll never be able to keep up with what the current iteration of the “future” is.

Rockets/robots/weird technology is the way to go for sure.

I think that is what made Tomorrowland in 1994 my favorite place to be. I could live in Frontierland and Tomorrowland of the 90s. Even CoP was overlayed with touches to call it the "Metro Retro historical society."

It was at times thrilling, typically inspiring that had eternal themes that everyone can get.

James Alucobond

Space 220 should have been in the Stitch space... such a missed opportunity to add better unique dinning to MK and re-use the building.
Waste of attraction space, I feel. It should be an attraction again. I'd rather see them re-use the Space 220 window tech to replace the red line and salon vignettes along the PeopleMover. Would allow them to simulate some views of an imaginary larger Tomorrowland and update more easily in the future. Would also be good for potential seasonal overlays.

britain

1) Fantasy/Retro sci-fi would keep Tomorrowland timeless.

2) Except for Star Wars, Fantasy/Retro sci-fi doesn’t do that well at the box office. Mainstream audiences want current forward predictions and flavors when it comes to film & TV sci-fi.

3) Insistence on popular IP at the parks means that because of number 2, you won’t ever have a richly, deeply layered number 1, and Tomorrowland will never be timeless.

Bocabear

2) Except for Star Wars, Fantasy/Retro sci-fi doesn’t do that well at the box office. Mainstream audiences want current forward predictions and flavors when it comes to film & TV sci-fi.

3) Insistence on popular IP at the parks means that because of number 2, you won’t ever have a richly, deeply layered number 1, and Tomorrowland will never be timeless.
Tomorrowland can be timeless, but they have to be able to develop stories and attractions suited to that purpose... Buzz Lightyear, being a Toy, doesn't really fit, but is not a poor a fit as Monsters Inc. Laff Floor is. With all the IP in the Universe and a stable of creative "Imagineers", you would think they could come up with something to fill a couple attraction slots that was not another rollercoaster and was on-theme for the area of the park. Also it seems like time to actually flesh out Tomorrowland... There is a LOT of dead space between attractions, and seriously....the need to do a futuristic Raceway if they are going to keep it... A TRON overlay with electric vehicles would at least allow something else in the land to coordinate with the adjacent TRON eyesore building... Tomorrowland has not had any meaningful revitalization since the 1994 redo making it 30 years...which is longer than it went from opening to it's first remodel... It needs eye candy, it needs basically everything...

Drdcm

DLP seems to pull it off with their steam punk futuristic aesthetic. I imagine it’ll eventually go the same route in time though…

Brer Panther

Buzz Lightyear, being a Toy, doesn't really fit
I don't have a problem with Buzz in Tomorrowland. The attraction still takes place in a science fiction outer space setting, so even with its not being sure whether or not you're on an adventure with the Buzz Lightyear that inspired the toy or the size of a toy, I think it fits Tomorrowland pretty well. I mean, it's not like If You Had Wings and Dreamflight were super-fitting in Tomorrowland either...

Bocabear

Was there nothing from any of the vast library of Disney IP that could be used to spark a new attraction?
Even going back to older versions of proposed Tomorrowland additions... Plectu's Galactic revue, etc...so many ideas and yet still nothing...What a shame to see the future-forward aspirational land become a mishmash of tired shows and outdated technology...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom