Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

IveBeenJack

I think that's a mistake (not by you, but by Disney). The theater would be a huge people eater and would have added a lot to the park, that small footprint of sge just isn't worth the trade off. I was ok when I assumed the money was being moved to monorails or something, but the budget from sge shouldn't have come from the loss of the theatre.
Btw thanks for the info

I get exactly what you mean about the theatre being able to handle more capacity, and personally, I was excited for a second Main Street to help guest flow, as it does in Disneyland Paris with the arcades.

But apparently it came down to more shows or more attractions, and they felt more attractions were needed, my guess is that it's easier to market a new attraction, instead of a new theatre, and I'm guessing that they'll have plenty of new entertainment offering for the 50th anyways.

Disney Maddux

So, with this new batch of information thanks to the interview that was held, do we have any idea when Stitch will open up one last time? Or what type of attraction the replacement is planned to be other than it no longer being the round-theater it is now?

Haymarket2008

I know this is part of the Incredible Summer, but could the Incredible “Expo” be a sign of something to come? I think it’s a poor fit for Tomorrowland, but....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, with this new batch of information thanks to the interview that was held, do we have any idea when Stitch will open up one last time? Or what type of attraction the replacement is planned to be other than it no longer being the round-theater it is now?

Unless an insider speaks up now with more info, AFAIK, there are no answers to your questions. :(

Seasonal operation is a mystery as to when and if at all.

The Wreck-it Ralph IP once considered was taken off the table and no new IP mentioned (yet, and for all we know, Ralph is back on).

Type of attraction is a mystery (the two round theaters and the preshow isn't really a lot of space for a ride).

The only sure thing from insiders is that something new will be there by the 50th.

Disney Maddux

Unless an insider speaks up now with more info, AFAIK, there are no answers to your questions. :(

Seasonal operation is a mystery as to when and if at all.

The Wreck-it Ralph IP once considered was taken off the table and no new IP mentioned (yet, and for all we know, Ralph is back on).

Type of attraction is a mystery (the two round theaters and the preshow isn't really a lot of space for a ride).

The only sure thing from insiders is that something new will be there by the 50th.
:(

Alright then.

Wreck-It Ralph would be cool, but I think the IP will be mainly all up to if Ralph Breaks The Internet does good both critically and with the box office.

I love SGE (unpopular opinion), but I do agree that they need to ditch the current theater.

Then the 3-year wait begins.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

There’s a report that money for the “shelved” Main Street Theater project at Magic Kingdom will now be used for a new attraction to replace Stitch's Great Escape! Not accurate. More accurate to say money from theater project will go toward attractions already announced by Disney.

Well, to be fair to DSNY, Jack said that BFP said that Cockerell said that only part of the money would be going to a Stitch replacement and the rest to other projects that are happening. Since a Stitch replacement will be happening... then it's all pretty much the same report. IOW, theater money cut to make a bunch of other projects fully funded, including the eventual SGE replacement.

Though it's odd and disheartening to hear from the outgoing VP that they seem to still lack an idea of what to do with SGE's space.

Purduevian

At the risk of being roasted, could they move the restaurant and gift shops out of that building and then use the entire space for a good dark ride? Not necessarily an IP but something futuristic? Maybe the 20K Leagues ride from TDS type of ride.

From my crude Google Maps Skills: SGE+Merchant of Venus+Galactic Goodies + Mickey Star Traders = ~26,500 ft^2
Peter Pan (MK) = ~12,500 ft^2

So if you take out 2 stores and a snack venue you could have a decent dark ride.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

There’s a report that money for the “shelved” Main Street Theater project at Magic Kingdom will now be used for a new attraction to replace Stitch's Great Escape! Not accurate. More accurate to say money from theater project will go toward attractions already announced by Disney.

Well, to be fair to DSNY, Jack said that BFP said that Cockerell said that only part of the money would be going to a Stitch replacement and the rest to other projects that are happening. Since a Stitch replacement will be happening... then it's all pretty much the same report. IOW, theater money cut to make a bunch of other projects fully funded, including the eventual SGE replacement.

Though it's odd and disheartening to hear from the outgoing VP that they seem to still lack an idea of what to do with SGE's space.
What is this a game of telephone?

File this under, "you can't always believe what you hear".

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
From my crude Google Maps Skills: SGE+Merchant of Venus+Galactic Goodies + Mickey Star Traders = ~26,500 ft^2
Peter Pan (MK) = ~12,500 ft^2

So if you take out 2 stores and a snack venue you could have a decent dark ride.

I've scoped this out earlier and got similar numbers:

SGE: 18.4k sqft / .42 acres
Snacks and shops: 9k sqft / .2 acres
Total: 27.4k sqft / .64 acres

Peter Pan: 13.5 sqft / .31 acres

So, yeah, you could have a repeat of one of the shortest and lowest capacity dark rides in that space. ;)

For comparison, Buzz is .55 acres.

1527107163204.png

Last edited:

Disney Maddux

Total: 27.4k sqft / .44 acres

So, yeah, you could have a repeat of one of the shortest and lowest capacity dark rides in that space. ;)

View attachment 285644
With the current info we have though, would the shops even be included in the gutting of the building for a new attraction, or just the SGE pre-shows and theaters? If we are including the shops though, I could see this being the perfect spot for a Wall-E dark ride.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The theater would be a huge people eater and would have added a lot to the park, that small footprint of sge just isn't worth the trade off.
A theater with a live show isn't as much of a people eater as you think.

Total: 27.4k sqft / .44 acres

View attachment 285644
What's Pooh's footprint? Mermaid?

Castle Cake Apologist

also opened up a new footpath

Regardless of anything, I would imagine the SGE building isn't going to be big enough to hold a ride with any kind of decent capacity. SGE has great capacity, but it has 3 holding areas / pre-shows and 2 chambers, so it moves people through brilliantly. Throw a ride in there instead of a show-in-the-round, and I imagine the thrc number would be pretty low.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom