Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

wdwfan22

Use exact same show building and seating.
Add VR headsets.
The possibilities are endless.
May I suggest “New Horizons”
The experience could change and be updated at will.
Thankfully they don't appear to be interested in VR anymore. There is rumblings that the space is going to be used again and not for a DVC lounge. It most likely will be a D23 announcement.

drizgirl

Twilight Zone
Star Wars (well before Disney acquired them)
Toy Story (back before they were acquired)

All non-Disney properties (at the time) that were added to Disney Parks.
I've never been really thrilled about some of those (you can add Marvel to that for DLR).

But really I feel that a little of this is fine. But the more you do it, the more you dilute the Disney brand in the parks, and they just become a mish mash of IPs from across the spectrum.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've never been really thrilled about some of those (you can add Marvel to that for DLR).

But really I feel that a little of this is fine. But the more you do it, the more you dilute the Disney brand in the parks, and they just become a mish mash of IPs from across the spectrum.
Toy Story, Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar *are* Disney brands.

Disney was built on appropriating and licensing IP that wasn't its own (all the fairy tales, Pooh, Peter Pan, Alice, Mary Poppins, etc...). Disney even *paid* to use some of those IPs. They *bought it.*

When Disney creates something new it has never done before... it's Disney IP.

I thought people liked new stories and not just sequels. All those acquired studios are new IP for Disney.

Disney creates a superhero family in Incredibles... it's Disney. Disney's Marvel creates a superhero family (Ant-Man and co.)... it's a dilution of the so-called Disney brand? That doesn't make sense to me.

drizgirl

Toy Story, Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar *are* Disney brands.

Disney was built on appropriating and licensing IP that wasn't its own (all the fairy tales, Pooh, Peter Pan, Alice, Mary Poppins, etc...). Disney even *paid* to use some of those IPs. They *bought it.*

When Disney creates something new it has never done before... it's Disney IP.

I thought people liked new stories and not just sequels. All those acquired studios are new IP for Disney.

Disney creates a superhero family in Incredibles... it's Disney. Disney's Marvel creates a superhero family (Ant-Man and co.)... it's a dilution of the so-called Disney brand? That doesn't make sense to me.
You are right about all of that. But then I see people talking about how they should add the Simpsons, Dr. Who, Die Hard, Home Alone, any number of IPs they acquired in the Fox deal and it's just too much.

And Disney actually put out movies under the Disney banner with most of those older IPs.

I just think they need to be careful with how much they dilute the brand.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Dr. Who may be on Disney+ but is really has nothing to do with Disney parks...it is not ingrained in the Disney catalog...It does not feel Disney...and Disney has done nothing with it other than acquire it with a bunch of other things. At this point they have a GIGANTIC catalog of IP that is actually DISNEY created. They do not need to add Simpsons or Dr. Who...and those IP would feel very out of place in a Disney park...
Yeah, I agree Dr. Who would be a strange fit for all these reasons.

That said, I do think Disney will slowly start to take on more ownership of The Simpsons and I think they will come to the parks and be pushed much more heavily elsewhere in Disney media. Obviously, this is a post-next ten years change, certainly not one for Stitch's abandoned building, but I think it's coming. It should be the next giant land to be added to Hollywood.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ewwww I hope the simpsons never come to the parks. Sorry but “I’m Bart Simpson- who the hell are you?” Just seems off brand to me.
Hmmm... I think the most 'adult' thing in the parks right now is the Falcon ride. You get to actively kill human beings by shooting at their space ships.

JMcMahonEsq

Yeah, I agree Dr. Who would be a strange fit for all these reasons.

That said, I do think Disney will slowly start to take on more ownership of The Simpsons and I think they will come to the parks and be pushed much more heavily elsewhere in Disney media. Obviously, this is a post-next ten years change, certainly not one for Stitch's abandoned building, but I think it's coming. It should be the next giant land to be added to Hollywood.
Funny, I could see a Dr. Who type ride/show that takes people through time to track some type of technological innovation, be it space flight, green energy, ect., totally fitting into Epcot. Basically a mobile/updated Spaceship earth but with a particular focus.

Bocabear

Not Dr. Who though...I can see that type attraction but maybe under some true Disney IP... Not a British TV show that has never had a connection to Disney until it was recently purchased...

UNCgolf

I'd be very surprised if Disney ever added a major Simpsons area.

While they're still popular to an extent, they don't have remotely the cultural impact they did 20+ years ago. Disney has too many other options that would likely be both a better fit and a more synergistic move.

I don't think the Simpsons area and attraction does much to drive attendance to Universal, and their relevance/popularity is declining, not increasing.

Last edited:

999th Happy Haunt

I'd be very surprised if Disney ever added a major Simpsons area.

While they're still popular to an extent, they don't have remotely the cultural impact they did 20+ years ago. Disney has too many other options that would likely be both a better fit and a more synergistic move.

I don't think the Simpsons area and attraction does much to drive attendance to Universal, and their relevance/popularity is declining, not increasing.
I don’t necessarily think they’re getting people in the door at Universal, but I’ve heard they do very well in food & beverage and merch sales. That alone might get Disney to set up a meet and greet and a bar or something else small.

Bocabear

I would think that with Universal already using the Simpsons, much like the Marvel properties they would have some sort of territorial exclusive on what is already used at USO.
And as others have pointed out...you cannot get more un-Disney than The Simpsons...
Disney has enough true Disney properties to fill a dozen theme parks without repetition if they wanted to...

MagicHappens1971

I would think that with Universal already using the Simpsons, much like the Marvel properties they would have some sort of territorial exclusive on what is already used at USO.
And as others have pointed out...you cannot get more un-Disney than The Simpsons...
Disney has enough true Disney properties to fill a dozen theme parks without repetition if they wanted to...
The Simpsons contract expires in 2028. I would expect that after that it is fair game to Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom