Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are you referring to its "seasonal" operation or something else?

Timekeeper was one of those attractions, like Wonders of Life, that I always wanted to see, but never could due to its "seasonal" operation.
The blaming the design of the attractions entrance on poor figures, figures that were a justification to close it.

Then the seasonal status.

Then using it as a meet and greet - with the frozen AA not only visible in non show conditions but wearing a Christmas hat.

And then having technology that needed an attraction- not the other way round.

Figment Newton

The blaming the design of the attractions entrance on poor figures, figures that were a justification to close it.

Then the seasonal status.

Then using it as a meet and greet - with the frozen AA not only visible in non show conditions but wearing a Christmas hat.

And then having technology that needed an attraction- not the other way round.
Oh yes, I do remember seeing the pictures of Timekeeper in the Santa hat. I agree, this was an unfortunate end for a good attraction.

disnyfan89

Too bad stupid guests ignored the numerous warnings. But we digress.

I personally blame the death of AE on Disney not properly developing the MK to be for "All Ages" and focusing on the younger demographic a bit too much. If the park had been more balanced with more attractions catering to the tween/teen thrill seekers much like IJA is in DL an attraction as frightening as AE would have been fine. It's the fact it targeted a more mature demographic in a park filled with fluff that was it's downfall. Parent's simply said it couldn't be any scarier than any of the other attractions in MK and ignored the warnings.

I personally am glad to see we are getting attractions like Tron in MK because it shows a shift in the thought process for the park that it doesn't have to be for "Everyone". I hope this trend continues and we can get a few more tween/teen/adult targeted attractions to help round out the MK and if AE for some reason ever came back I would hope it would feel right at home in MK.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I personally blame the death of AE on Disney not properly developing the MK to be for "All Ages" and focusing on the younger demographic a bit too much. If the park had been more balanced with more attractions catering to the tween/teen thrill seekers much like IJA is in DL an attraction as frightening as AE would have been fine. It's the fact it targeted a more mature demographic in a park filled with fluff that was it's downfall. Parent's simply said it couldn't be any scarier than any of the other attractions in MK and ignored the warnings.

I personally am glad to see we are getting attractions like Tron in MK because it shows a shift in the thought process for the park that it doesn't have to be for "Everyone". I hope this trend continues and we can get a few more tween/teen/adult targeted attractions to help round out the MK and if AE for some reason ever came back I would hope it would feel right at home in MK.
Back then the MK was more mature.

disnyfan89

I must admit my memories may be deceiving me as I was only 14 when AE closed so my memory of MK from 94-03 may be skewed but I'd love to hear what you felt made the park more "mature" during AE's run. I always associated AK and DHS having the "scary" attractions when I was a kid. (Dino, iTtbaB, Tower, Rockin, etc)

Bender123

I have to agree...It was a problem with the guests that wrecked it by ignoring the warning signs. They are the same parents that get mad at "R" rated movies and buy their 10 year old Grand Theft Auto.

the old MK had a bunch of "mature" rides, though not quite at the same "scary" level as AE. Tomorrowland had Dreamflight, Space Mountain, Timekeeper and CoP. None of these were "made for kids". Up until the mid 90s, the only "kiddieland" was Fantasyland and even that had 20K...which was...well...it was lame in a charming way.

I guess I never noticed how much the newer rides and refurbs have made the MK trend way down in age.

brb1006

20K, Snow Whites Adventures, Toad, a darker PotC...
I miss when the Magic Kingdom used to be taken more seriously before the Disney Princess franchise existed. It really effected MK in the 2000's once you stared seeing more girl guests visiting the park in various Disney Princess outfits causing some newer guests to view the MK as a Princess Park.

disnyfan89

Does anyone have a photo of the Timekeeper wearing a Santa hat? It had to be hidden somewhere on the Internet.

From Pinterest:
timekeeper.jpg

Princess Leia

I must admit my memories may be deceiving me as I was only 14 when AE closed so my memory of MK from 94-03 may be skewed but I'd love to hear what you felt made the park more "mature" during AE's run. I always associated AK and DHS having the "scary" attractions when I was a kid. (Dino, iTtbaB, Tower, Rockin, etc)
Ittbab???

UpAllNight

Disneyland Paris is a great Magic Kingdom park that caters to everybody so I’m unsure why trended against having more mature attractions in MK. I think Disney at times think 12 year old boys and girls can’t handle a bit more of a thrill. My sister rode Spiderman and ToT aged 12 and loved them.

Bender123

Disneyland Paris is a great Magic Kingdom park that caters to everybody so I’m unsure why trended against having more mature attractions in MK. I think Disney at times think 12 year old boys and girls can’t handle a bit more of a thrill. My sister rode Spiderman and ToT aged 12 and loved them.

There isn't anything wrong with the ride systems at MK...most of the changes have been cosmetic over structural. The problem is the theming has gone to more "children" focused IPs and theme.

If You Had Wings->Dreamflight->Buzz Lightyear...the omnimover system is the same, but went from a serious look at the history of flight, to a cartoony history of flight and is now based off a childrens IP. Arguably, the ride is more interactive, but the theme is now based on a childrens cartoon. Not even based on the Toy Story name (which has adult appeal), but on the Space Rangers, which is a childrens spinoff cartoon.

Pirates went fro fairly dark and viscous to lighthearted and tame. The Pirates no longer chase the women, they aren't in town to pillage and loot, they are looking for Mr Depp and his map. The whole feel of the ride has gone from all ages with a mature theme, to kiddy cartoony.

Circle vision->Timekeeper->Laugh Floor...Same as Buzz. From highminded "edutainment" that was interesting and engaging to all to an IP based on scary monsters that want to make you laugh.

Heck...Stitch is one of these stories as its a dumbed down AE that lost all the charm and specialness of the original.

MK, while keeping similar rides, has morphed from a family park to a kids park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom