Star Wars vs. Harry Potter....choose.

Star Wars vs. Harry Potter....choose.

• Total voters

JustInTime

Right, but we're not talking about one movie(at least I'm not); I'm talking about the whole franchise. I agree that the individual movies have had their wins and losses against each other so to speak. But a convention of the Star Wars franchise against a convention of the Harry Potter franchise. I don't think HP wins this one.

Isn't a midnight showing of Potter like one giant convention? And how does it really matter about a convention anyway?! I didn't bring it up. Most people make fun of that (I don't). So it's fine. Star Wars can take that crown.

Jimmy Thick

Now what fun would that be? Yes, it is an absolutely pointless argument, but this is just the geek version of the"Could the 85 Bears beat the 67 Packers" type arguments. 15 years ago we would have been having the same argument about Star Wars and Star Trek.:lol:

The 85 Bears would win. In fact the 85 Bears would beat any team who ever played.

Jimmy Thick-Da Coachhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Isn't a midnight showing of Potter like one giant convention? And how does it really matter about a convention anyway?! I didn't bring it up. Most people make fun of that (I don't). So it's fine. Star Wars can take that crown.

I said convention because thats what we were talking about :shrug:. But, ok, not a convention. In general Star Wars would still win.

ElvisMickey

Now what fun would that be? Yes, it is an absolutely pointless argument, but this is just the geek version of the"Could the 85 Bears beat the 67 Packers" type arguments. 15 years ago we would have been having the same argument about Star Wars and Star Trek.:lol:

Pointless arguments like this are great to get into when you're sitting in a cube all day. Makes the work day go by a little quicker!

DA BEARS! Forget Star Wars AND Harry Potter...it's almost football season. Ha ha!

Kamikaze

But the Star Wars fans are Known and expected to do conventions. Put the 8th Harry Potter Movie against the last Star Wars movie. Not much inflation since then, about the same about of hype...Harry Potter has already made almost as much as Revenge of the Sith's entire theatrical run. And in just 7 days. Just sayin'

Uh, theres a load of inflation in ticket prices since 2005.

This is the list to familiarize yourself with
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Keep in mind one thing. Unadjusted gross, the highest performing Potter movie made $317m. The lowest performing Star Wars movie made $380m.

As far as your line about it making the same amount of money, well thats not even close. Its not even halfway yet. And with the way movies drop off after the first two weeks now, it might never get there. If you're talking worldwide, thats a different story, but its still $300m less, without inflation.

You have to look at the adjusted chart if you want to be fair, whether its domestic or worldwide. I mean, look at the new Pirates. Its the 6th highest grossing movie OF ALL TIME - simply because it has 3D ticket prices attached to most of the seats. Same with Avatar (#1), really.

But beyond that - Star Wars has grossed BILLIONS of dollars in other merchandise besides movies and books. Potter doesn't have as much in the way of collectibles and things of that nature. If you're strictly talking money, Star Wars is estimated to have doubled its movies with the other items it sells. The movies have made $6b (roughly), everything else, another $10-12b. Potter can't touch that. Is it possible? I suppose it is, but only if Rowling allows it, and allows others to write stories about Harry.

Others label Potter a fad. I don't think its that. I just think the Potterverse isn't fleshed out enough to support a longstanding (and growing) fanbase. The movies are done, the books are done. Without new Harry-based material, the franchise is basically over.

Star Wars, because of the EU, will never be over. Look at the frothing at the mouth by Star Wars fans and gamers alike for the new Star Wars MMO. Or the various blogs all over that are going crazy over an app that all it does is let you preview the Blu Ray special features. I can go on and on. It simply come down to whether or not Harry's story is done. If it is, then the Potter franchise and universe is, as well.

No, a midnight showing would be a movie. A convention is much different. As for 'most people making fun of it'. Hmm, thats interesting. So D23, BlizzCon, E3, CES, ComicCon, Celebration are made fun of by most people? Really? Is that why they are some of the most covered (especially the electronics and gaming ones) events around?

JustInTime

Uh, theres a load of inflation in ticket prices since 2005.

This is the list to familiarize yourself with
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Keep in mind one thing. Unadjusted gross, the highest performing Potter movie made $317m. The lowest performing Star Wars movie made $380m.

As far as your line about it making the same amount of money, well thats not even close. Its not even halfway yet. And with the way movies drop off after the first two weeks now, it might never get there. If you're talking worldwide, thats a different story, but its still $300m less, without inflation.

You have to look at the adjusted chart if you want to be fair, whether its domestic or worldwide. I mean, look at the new Pirates. Its the 6th highest grossing movie OF ALL TIME - simply because it has 3D ticket prices attached to most of the seats. Same with Avatar (#1), really.

But beyond that - Star Wars has grossed BILLIONS of dollars in other merchandise besides movies and books. Potter doesn't have as much in the way of collectibles and things of that nature. If you're strictly talking money, Star Wars is estimated to have doubled its movies with the other items it sells. The movies have made $6b (roughly), everything else, another $10-12b. Potter can't touch that. Is it possible? I suppose it is, but only if Rowling allows it, and allows others to write stories about Harry.

I look at international numbers. And "not much" price inflation since 2005 is not much compared to 30 years ago. The Harry Potter movies alone have made over 6 Billion dollars. That is impressive. Especially considering the Star Wars films have been out a lot longer and have been released multiple times theatrically. The Harry Potter movies have only been released once. All I am saying is that Harry Potter has done well and it holds it's own. And for my personal tastes (I love both) I choose Harry Potter.

JustInTime

No, a midnight showing would be a movie. A convention is much different. As for 'most people making fun of it'. Hmm, thats interesting. So D23, BlizzCon, E3, CES, ComicCon, Celebration are made fun of by most people? Really? Is that why they are some of the most covered (especially the electronics and gaming ones) events around?

A midnight showing is a movie? :lookaroun

CaptainShortty

We can't really talk about how much merchandise and collectibles for Harry Potter yet because in that realm, it's still very new. I don't know the exact numbers for Harry Potter but they have sold quite a bit of merchandise especially since WWoHP opened because it is an easy place to sell it. Not to the extent of Star Wars but Star Wars has quite a few years on Potter.

And Rowling will never let someone else write stories about Harry. Harry's her baby and she's pretty adamant about that right now. She doesn't need the money, she's already one of the richest people in the world so that's not something that's going to reel her in. I would be utterly shocked if she ever let anyone touch HP without her having a decent amount of creative control.

sublimesting

Lucas likes having his total control as well, so can't really push that point too far.

He can always blow up the EU and **** off all the Star Wars fans by releasing a sequel trilogy that ruins the EU.

Lucas does have total control but anyone that would let Robot Chicken do what they do with Star Wars is a very easy going fellow as far as I'm concerned. Can you see JK allowing a HP Robot Chicken?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Lucas does have total control but anyone that would let Robot Chicken do what they do with Star Wars is a very easy going fellow as far as I'm concerned. Can you see JK allowing a HP Robot Chicken?
"What the hell is an Aluminium Falcon?!"

Best RC line ever.

sublimesting

"What the hell is an Aluminium Falcon?!"

Best RC line ever.

That's classic!

I also love the one with Ponda Boba setting out to have a great day and being talked into going for a lunch time drink.

"He doesn't like you...I don't like you either."
"No no I never said that!!!"

Kamikaze

We can't really talk about how much merchandise and collectibles for Harry Potter yet because in that realm, it's still very new. I don't know the exact numbers for Harry Potter but they have sold quite a bit of merchandise especially since WWoHP opened because it is an easy place to sell it. Not to the extent of Star Wars but Star Wars has quite a few years on Potter.

Star Wars sold ridiculous of amounts of merchandise in the 70s on one movie. Can't cop out a nearly 15 year old franchise by calling it new.

And Rowling will never let someone else write stories about Harry. Harry's her baby and she's pretty adamant about that right now. She doesn't need the money, she's already one of the richest people in the world so that's not something that's going to reel her in. I would be utterly shocked if she ever let anyone touch HP without her having a decent amount of creative control.

Well then, the franchise is over. She didn't introduce enough backstory or intrigue to anything that doesn't revolve around Harry to make it interesting enough to have other characters carry the load of the story.

A midnight showing is a movie? :lookaroun

You're the one that called it a convention. I was replying in kind.

I look at international numbers. And "not much" price inflation since 2005 is not much compared to 30 years ago. The Harry Potter movies alone have made over 6 Billion dollars. That is impressive. Especially considering the Star Wars films have been out a lot longer and have been released multiple times theatrically. The Harry Potter movies have only been released once. All I am saying is that Harry Potter has done well and it holds it's own. And for my personal tastes (I love both) I choose Harry Potter.

You can like whatever you want. But you're trying to compare apples and oranges by using kumquats.

Also, $1.40 per ticket is a lot of inflation. You can't compare 1:1.
http://boxofficemojo.com/about/adjuster.htm

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's classic!

I also love the one with Ponda Boba setting out to have a great day and being talked into going for a lunch time drink.

"He doesn't like you...I don't like you either."
"No no I never said that!!!"
I can not wait to see the Star Wars TV series that Seth Green does. When I heard there was going to be a Star Wars comedy I was down right frightened. When I heard Seth Green was doing it all my fears turned into excitement. He is such an uber fan that I can not see it being anything short of genius.

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
I can not wait to see the Star Wars TV series that Seth Green does. When I heard there was going to be a Star Wars comedy I was down right frightened. When I heard Seth Green was doing it all my fears turned into excitement. He is such an uber fan that I can not see it being anything short of genius.

This! :sohappy:

Kamikaze

Pottermore??

As I said previously, Pottermore will fail. People want new content, and Pottermore is not going to provide that.

Pottermore is a free website that builds an exciting online experience around the reading of the Harry Potter books.

Just what in the heck does that mean, exactly? Its a forum? Wonderful.

JustInTime

Well then, the franchise is over. She didn't introduce enough backstory or intrigue to anything that doesn't revolve around Harry to make it interesting enough to have other characters carry the load of the story.

Have you actually read the series? She could do any of the International Schools, The founders of Hogwarts, The trio's children, The Marauders or Dumbledore. Well, really it's endless. But the Star Wars Novels have become the Romance Novels of Sci-Fi. I don't want that for Potter and thankfully, neither does Rowling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom