Star Wars vs. Harry Potter....choose.

Star Wars vs. Harry Potter....choose.

• Total voters

JustInTime

I am not talking money as due to a nearly 20 year separation is becomes apples and oranges. If you want to adjust for inflation and include merchandising you will find that HP falls well short of SW. I am talking about judging the popularity by fan support and what is being done to continue that support. HP has plenty of support and major potential to continue it .The point I have been trying to make is we have yet to see if they will continue to add to the HP verse to continue that support. So far I have yet to see anything past a plussing of the material that is already there. If Rowling decides to tell the story of James and Lilly, Al ,etc then they can live forever.

I wonder how Potter fans would react to a convention.

CaptainShortty

I'll make it a valid discussion, hang in there.

Star Wars is over 30 years old, and still in the public's eye. Disney worked a deal to acquire the rights to have Star Wars attractions and Star Wars characters in their parks. The public will always have a fascination with Star Wars.

Harry Potter, I would compare to a Japanese idol singer. They get popular, then they fade away, as Harry does when there is not a new book or film. But when there is, then the fans come out, but I feel they are not loyal or diehard like Star Wars fans, thats why I feel like its nothing more than a fad. Its like sports fans jumping on the bandwagon when the team is winning.

Star Wars fans have the Force running through them, its a huge difference.

Disney felt the same way and let one of their competitors take Potter. Disney will get the last laugh.

Jimmy Thick-Star Wars all the way!!!

I can tell from this that you are not a true Harry Potter fan. I think what you don't realize is that in between books and movie millions of children are reading and rereading the potter books again and again. I for one have read each book at least twice and know people that have read each book 10+ times. And that doesn't even include the movies, theme park, Pottermore, mugglenet, HP Exhibition, etc. Harry Potter doesn't die away when there isn't something new. You just don't hear about it in the news. That being said, when was the last time you heard of a major fan event for Star Wars?? Doesn't mean it's not around, because I know it is but it's a bad comparison.

I truly think that Potter will stay around like Star Wars and that they will both be huge America icons of media. But I think in the future Potter will eventually wind up overtaking Star Wars because the generation that grew up with HP (myself included) are soon to become parents. Fans will still be reading the Potter stories and when our kids get old enough, we're going to read them to them too. When the older generation that grew up with Star Wars is no longer here, you're going to have only the true fans to carry that on to there children.

But of course, just my opinion. Only time will tell. =)

JustInTime

The only one I have heard of is LeakyCon. The one that just went off in 2011 had a bout 3400 attendees.

I never knew there were any being held. You would think Mugglenet would get on board to get it rolling or something. Btw, I just bought some awesome British "Signature" editions of the Harry Potter books last week. They are gorgeous (sorry, back on topic)...

CaptainShortty

Yes, again, I have no doubt it would be awesome; would it bigger than a Star Wars convention? It can be done, but I think its unlikely.

I think if it was advertised adequately on the HP fan sights, (mugglenet, the soon to be Pottermore) then it could EASILY take over the Star Wars convention. You all underestimate Potter fans, by a lot.

JustInTime

I think if it was advertised adequately on the HP fan sights, (mugglenet, the soon to be Pottermore) then it could EASILY take over the Star Wars convention. You all underestimate Potter fans, by a lot.

I agree. Hugely underestimated. Movie 7 has already made over half a billion dollars in a week...

WDWmazprty

Original Poster

I agree. Hugely underestimated. Movie 7 has already made over half a billion dollars in a week...

Just saying, if there was Star Wars Wars convention happening and on the other side of town, on the same day there was a Potter convention; I think the Star Wars convention would still be bigger.

JustInTime

Just saying, if there was Star Wars Wars convention happening and on the other side of town, on the same day there was a Potter convention; I think the Star Wars convention would still be bigger.

But the Star Wars fans are known and expected to do conventions. Put the 8th Harry Potter Movie against the last Star Wars movie. Not much inflation since then, about the same about of hype...Harry Potter has already made almost as much as Revenge of the Sith's entire theatrical run. And in just 7 days. Just sayin'

JustInTime

Who knows, PotterCon could be the next PAX. The first PAX in 2005 had 3300 people at it. Pax East and PAX Prime had a combined attendance of more than 110,000 a mere 5 years later.

You are right you never know. And I guess that is your point. We have no way to know what will become of Potter. We can guess but we don't know. It will always be special no matter what to me though.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But the Star Wars fans are Known and expected to do conventions. Put the 8th Harry Potter Movie against the last Star Wars movie. Not much inflation since then, about the same about of hype...Harry Potter has already made almost as much as Revenge of the Sith's entire theatrical run. And in just 7 days. Just sayin'
Expected to...I have never done one. You are forgetting the IMAX and 3D component now added into it that was not present for EP3.

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
But the Star Wars fans are Known and expected to do conventions. Put the 8th Harry Potter Movie against the last Star Wars movie. Not much inflation since then, about the same about of hype...Harry Potter has already made almost as much as Revenge of the Sith's entire theatrical run. And in just 7 days. Just sayin'

Right, but we're not talking about one movie(at least I'm not); I'm talking about the whole franchise. I agree that the individual movies have had their wins and losses against each other so to speak. But a convention of the Star Wars franchise against a convention of the Harry Potter franchise. I don't think HP wins this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom