Star Wars vs. Harry Potter....choose.

Star Wars vs. Harry Potter....choose.

• Total voters

Pete C

Iam not bashing Potter fans at all, all Iam saying is, people will talk about Star Wars till they die, people will forget about Potter by, like someone said, X-Mas time.

In ten years, they will take Potter out of Universal, you can quote me on that. Thats just how things will go down.

Jimmy Thick-In two years you will see a decrease in Potter at Universal.

Dude you are giving jt04 a run for his money right now.

lebeau

I never do this, but it's time to quote myself.

I've been in enough HP v Star Wars threads to know how this ends. I'm not having the conversation again. But I'll say this. I'm a Star Wars fan. I've never read a single HP book. I've seen the movies and they are okay. But I'm definitely not a Harry Potter fan. With that disclaimer out of the way:

Anyone who says Harry Potter is a fad has no idea what a fad is. Such a statement betrays a staggering amount of ignorance about pop culture. I would say anyone who would make such a statement has automatically erased any credibility they ever had on the subject.

But please, go on...

righttrack

I am the Star Wars generation, and frankly I love it. One think about Harry Potter vs Star Wars. Harry Potter - 7 books, 8 movies, all of them great. Star Wars, 6 movies, 3 of them great, 3 of them kinda meh.

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
picture.php

Fight! Fight! Fight!

CP_alum08

It's a total generational thing. Star Wars came at the perfect time for it's generation. The story and special effects were stunning, where HP isn't anything ground breaking. HOWEVER! I think HP has huge potential for staying power. I grew up with him and when I have kids I will encourage them to read the series.

Another big thing, is that Star Wars can basically be never ending. There are so many sub-stories that anyone of them could be turned in to another movie and spark another craze. Where as HP is over, well so JK says, I don't personally believe it but still. Since there is nothing new coming for it, ever, all there is left is WWoHP to keep the legacy going. I think Universal realized that from the beginning which is why they stepped up their game and did an amazing job with it. As someone already said about it being updated in 2013, I think it's really necessary that they redo, upgrade, whatever they have to do, every few years to keep the interest.

So, to answer the actual question, :ROFLOL:, in terms of dollars, I think the two will be very close, but I think Star Wars will always have that edge due to the nostalgia of it. And as we Disney people know, nostalgia always wins!!

wolf359

I think Universal realized that from the beginning which is why they stepped up their game and did an amazing job with it. As someone already said about it being updated in 2013, I think it's really necessary that they redo, upgrade, whatever they have to do, every few years to keep the interest.

Disney made it pretty clear from the early days of Star Tours that new updates would be forthcoming, yet it took over 20 years for that to come to pass.

Factor in Universal's track record for plussing existing attractions and I'm not going to hold my breath that we'll see any significant Potter upgrades in the future.

Also, both properties have the blessing/curse of creators that hold ultimate control over the use and development of their characters. There's no telling how those relationships could change in the future and how that could affect theme park developments.

I think Star Wars will always have that edge due to the nostalgia of it. And as we Disney people know, nostalgia always wins!!

Sure, but it's still too early to see if Potter nostalgia reaches the same heights as Star Wars', but I think it is very likely in 30 years time we'll see it has. It will depend a lot on where Potter goes from here. If the series strictly remains seven books/films and isn't developed further I could see it being overshadowed by the next big thing. A big part of Stars Wars' continued popularity is because it branched out and kept finding new outlets to tell more stories.

erasure fan1

I am the Star Wars generation, and frankly I love it. One think about Harry Potter vs Star Wars. Harry Potter - 7 books, 8 movies, all of them great. Star Wars, 6 movies, 3 of them great, 3 of them kinda meh.

Well I would have to disagree with half of that. While the books may be great, the movies are not. Thats not saying they are bad, I just wouldnt call them great.

To answer the OP, my nod goes to starwars hands down. While I dont quite sway to the side of Potter will be out of universal in 10yrs, I do think in 10yrs Potters popularity will be just a shell of what it is now(unlike starwars 30+ yrs later). Even though JK says this is the end, I believe that she will come out with something new when the top of mind has dwindled.

Crockett

Banned
Star Wars is associated with Disney and Harry Potter is Universal
Exactly. And that is why I vote Star Wars! Voting for HP is only feeding recognition to Disney's biggest competitor down the block. So the WDWMagic faithful should know what to do. ;-)

DISNEY ALL THE WAY!!! :cool:
Vote Star Wars!
(And boycott Potter)

Pete C

Exactly. And that is why I vote Star Wars! Voting for HP is only feeding recognition to Disney's biggest competitor down the block. So the WDWMagic faithful should know what to do. ;-)

Vote Star Wars!
(And boycott Potter)

Why do you associate Star Wars with Disney? Because of a single ride? An outdated simulator that was FINALLY updated 22 years after it debuted? It is not even an E-ticket by today's standards at that. There is nothing else aside from a yearly celebration to say that Star Wars has anything to do with Disney. On top of that, there isn't even a hint of more Star Wars related additions to Disney. The link between Star Wars and Disney is thin at best, and most fans of Star Wars would not even think Disney when they think Star Wars.

Universal, on the other hand, has an entire land of rides, shops, merchandise, even food and drink associated with Harry Potter, with more to come if rumors hold true. When people think Harry Potter, many will think of Universal now because they have already been, or because they want to go.

disneyrcks

Vote Star Wars!
(And boycott Potter)

I simply do not understand any of this. Those who enjoy WDWMagic and Disney should not visit Universal? My husband and I love Disney but if my kids wanted to read the Potter books I would absolutely encourage them, in addition I may take them to IOA to see WWOHP :eek:

Since I am not an uber Star Wars or Harry Potter fan, my opinion is that they are both very different and do not need to be compared. Time will tell what becomes of Harry Potter and my estimate (while worth a pound of dirt like everyone else's because we simply do not know for sure) is that it will have staying power in the park and in book sales for quite some time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom