Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ep 8). SPOILERS. Plot points revealed and discussed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
OK, we'll move past the Disney stuff. I agree some will make a pro or anti-disney stance reflexively. But it is dangerous to assume that of anyone...especially over the internet unless you have an extensive history with them.

But to your other point, how can this be an objective betrayal of that Star Wars "feel" if there is such an big divide in fandom.

Like I said above. I'm a child of the seventies. I'm an OT guy. All my friends are of that era. Many of the people I work with are as well (both in my day job and at the site I write for). And most of those I've talked to disagree with what you are saying. Are we all deluding ourselves in your mind. Are we going to wake up 5 years from now and say, "oh, maybe the haters were right. This doesn't feel like Star Wars"

I guess its possible. But its equally possible that those who were initially put off by the strangeness of that Star Wars "feel" will realize, after the shock has worn off, that its there underneath the new bells and whistles.

I've seen so many stories of people who had mixed feelings on this film, turn to love after repeat viewings. I've only heard one anecdotal story in the opposite direction. Someone whose negative opinions were solidified by a subsequent viewing.

That is the opposite of the PT track. Where people were in denial and slowly came to realize those movies were very flawed. With TLJ, almost everyone I have seen has grown their appreciation with more exposure. That is not scientific, but it does show a trend that there is a potential to, once the shock wares off, develop a deep appreciation for this movie that may have been off putting to some at first.

Well...the last jedi gets worse every unsuccessful attempt I've made to watch it. The Ford domination wears thin...and the rebootiness of it is grating...

But hey, maybe 10 years later, huh?

Gomer

Well...the last jedi gets worse every unsuccessful attempt I've made to watch it. The Ford domination wears thin...and the rebootiness of it is grating...

But hey, maybe 10 years later, huh?
I assume you mean The Force Awakens? And if so I agree. That has diminished for me over time. Some movies do, some movies get better. Different movies, different results.

fractal

OK, we'll move past the Disney stuff. I agree some will make a pro or anti-disney stance reflexively. But it is dangerous to assume that of anyone...especially over the internet unless you have an extensive history with them.

But to your other point, how can this be an objective betrayal of that Star Wars "feel" if there is such an big divide in fandom.

Like I said above. I'm a child of the seventies. I'm an OT guy. All my friends are of that era. Many of the people I work with are as well (both in my day job and at the site I write for). And most of those I've talked to disagree with what you are saying. Are we all deluding ourselves in your mind. Are we going to wake up 5 years from now and say, "oh, maybe the haters were right. This doesn't feel like Star Wars"

I guess its possible. But its equally possible that those who were initially put off by the strangeness of that Star Wars "feel" will realize, after the shock has worn off, that its there underneath the new bells and whistles.

I've seen so many stories of people who had mixed feelings on this film, turn to love after repeat viewings. I've only heard one anecdotal story in the opposite direction. Someone whose negative opinions were solidified by a subsequent viewing.

That is the opposite of the PT track. Where people were in denial and slowly came to realize those movies were very flawed. With TLJ, almost everyone I have seen has grown their appreciation with more exposure. That is not scientific, but it does show a trend that there is a potential to, once the shock wares off, develop a deep appreciation for this movie that may have been off putting to some at first.

I was 10 when Star Wars came out. Exact opposite reaction from my group of friends that are die hard OT fans. In fact most of them hate it more than I do!

Gomer

I was 10 when Star Wars came out. Exact opposite reaction from my group of friends that are die hard OT fans. In fact most of them hate it more than I do!
Which is fair. My point was against the idea that this is a universal reaction from people of our era.

From my experience, online and in person, I'd say we OT era fans are split 50/50. (non-scientific obviously) With newer fans more along the lines of 80/20 positive to negative.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

So it's polarizing...

...that might be something to watch

Or this...I defy anyone to tell me that disney is happy about this. If you understand their thought process...they are not. I can all but guarantee there is a lot of meetings/vidoechats going on about the tracking in the halls of the dwarfdom today...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Which is fair. My point was against the idea that this is a universal reaction from people of our era.

From my experience, online and in person, I'd say we OT era fans are split 50/50. (non-scientific obviously) With newer fans more along the lines of 80/20 positive to negative.

I would agree and add this: newer fans are measurably more dumb. Pass given to those under 10...

You want proof: FAST AND FURIOUS

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Perhaps...but since the majority of business is online vs walkup...it should actually make business more even/efficient

'efficient' is in the eye of the beholder.

The relevant point in this thread is that it will make pre-sales more attractive to customers. Knowing not just that you have a ticket, but a good ticket.. will open the door more and more to pre-sales. Pre-sales no longer need to be about 'opening night' but can easily go over the whole weekend, opening week. The result of this will impact traditional 'word of mouth' patterns and sales patterns in the opening week.

A good example of how it can hurt 'efficiency' is there is less chance of a theater filling up. People will know if only the bad seats are left, and instead will opt for an alternate showtime. So while securing sales may be better, your per showing receipts may actually go down.

bclane

First, assuming I am in the" Disney can do no wrong" is a big error on your part.

Just because someone likes this movie, doesn't mean they are taking Disney's side blindly. You want to make arguments against the film, they are there to be made. Assuming everyone who is on the other side of the debate is some sycophant or blind fanboy, diminishes the quality of your argument.

Even just my activity in this thread, admitting I didn't like Rogue one, should have clued you in there.

And yes, I stand by the idea that your enjoyment is based on what you bring to the movie. Personal interpretation of canon has always been the source of these debates. (Should Yoda use a light saber, is force lighting a reasonable force power, Is Luke truly a Jedi if he uses his powers to kill) I don't find that TLJ violates canon as it exists for me in any way. It builds on it, adds to it, but never violates to it. But that is a subjective interpretation. Your mileage may vary.
Yeah some people want to accuse anyone of liking the movie of being blind followers of Disney or something while others want to accuse anyone that didn’t like the movie of being nothing but a hater. Can’t people simply like or not like the movie? Lol!

Obviously I love The Last Jedi as I have made that abundantly clear in here. Like most people I wanted to see Luke be the hero right out of the gate that he always was and was shocked initially by what I was seeing. But I don’t think they turned Luke into a coward anymore than Yoda was a coward for spending the rest of his days on Dabobah after being defeated by Sidious. Luke did what he believed was best for everyone. He had always struggled with the Dark side. He failed his nephew and simultaneously played into Snokes plans that resulted in the death of billions of people. I think that Luke was afraid he would just screw things up worse and Rian has said multiple times that Luke was in voluntary exile because this is what he felt was best for everyone. It wasn’t him giving up. But in the end, he was again the hero we’ve always known him to be. I think they handled this brilliantly and I love that his path kind of follows that of Yoda his old master who spent decades in exile. Again...some of the same arguments against TLJ could and have been leveled again ESB.

Finally, Mark Hamill has never said that he hated TLJ and has actually corrected people for saying this. He didn’t like what he read in the script and argued with Rian about it, but in the end, he is a lot more upbeat on Rian and the direction he took the movie than what is being sensationalized in the media right now. He continued to praise him even with his own tweets. See this article for example:

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/...ast-jedi-mark-hamill-thoughts-luke-skywalker/

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
She is definitely a prodigy imo. Very powerful and chosen by the Force itself (it appears) to bring balance. But she is still raw and learning.

Too bad we don't know anything about her except she's going a little Lena Dunham...

Think she and Kylo will do they "I've had the time of my life" dance in 9?

"Nobody puts daisy in the corner..."

spacemt354

Chili's
This article ^^
fonzie-jump-the-shark-happy-days.jpg

In other news.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi has the 2nd fastest 7-Day Domestic Box Office cume....of all time.

What's the only film... in history... it trails? The Force Awakens. Color me shocked.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...osser-ever-behind-force-awakens/#1da5ab87cf44

Gomer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom