Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ep 8). SPOILERS. Plot points revealed and discussed.

bclane

Oh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, as many times as I've watched the movies, I still don't know what buttons they're pressing in that cockpit. It looks like a hot mess in there. hahaha
Over the years, I just figured that the technology in that universe must be sorta like how people nowadays handle the different types of technology here in the real world. If we give a Windows user an Apple computer or vice versa, the users can figure out basic things like how to turn on the computer, how to type things, and how to use the internet and figure out where to go to change settings, but the awesome shortcuts and other gimmicks of each OS might be too tricky to figure out unless they have a certain amount of experience.

The bits of pieces of info are coming back to me about TFA. It was hinted that Rey already knew how the Falcon worked. I remember her explaining to Han how her boss (forgot his name) added something to mess with the hyperspace drive. Also, she knew exactly where to go to fix the leak of that toxic gas stuff. Seeing and hearing those clues made me think in my mind that she knew the ship for a long time.
Great points. Maybe she had worked on the Falcon with Unkar Plutt at some point. It would make sense so definitely possible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
:hilarious: "Something to watch"

We are watching it -- you apparently aren't because you didn't even know the numbers went up yesterday, which was stated in the 'smokescreen' article provided for you. Carry on with your 'watching'

Yeah...unfortunately I got a job that occasionally requires attention...I'll try to keep up. If you help a brother out, that would be appreciated...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Great points. Maybe she had worked on the Falcon with Unkar Plutt at some point. It would make sense so definitely possible.

I put it as Rey was a bit of a mechanic... as a scrapper and in the rough you figure out how to make stuff work etc. so when Han starts talking about the mods to the falcon... Rey is already familiar with the ideas. So she knows ships... she's just not familiar with actually being in the pilot seat... especially for the falcon. So there it's about quick learning, and her force boosted reflexes.

Remember, Luke didn't know the x-wing before the battle of yavin too :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Btw and a bit off topic, the original Star Wars was very close to being a complete disaster if not for amazing editing. In fact, if it wasn't for Marcia Lucas there's a good chance we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Not only did they edit the film, many of the events in SW were added and major things in the original cut were discarded. Interesting video for fans of the movie...

I like this off topic...but there's a deeper story with editing that affected the whole franchise...

Remember that Lucas suffered what can seriously be considered as a mental breakdown during jedi, his wife divorced him - breaking up the editing team thereafter...and took him to the cleaners.

I think he had a grudge against Star Wars - maybe subconsciously - that carried through and ultimately delivered it to Disney...

And here we are...funny how things work out?

bclane

I put it as Rey was a bit of a mechanic... as a scrapper and in the rough you figure out how to make stuff work etc. so when Han starts talking about the mods to the falcon... Rey is already familiar with the ideas. So she knows ships... she's just not familiar with actually being in the pilot seat... especially for the falcon. So there it's about quick learning, and her force boosted reflexes.

Remember, Luke didn't know the x-wing before the battle of yavin too :)
Yeah I was thinking too that her scrapping junk off the various Imperial wreckage also allowed her to know how to open the doors and such on Starkiller base as well as Han’s giant ship he rode in on. She was pretty handy to have around.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just thought of something. For all the people who thought Luke's Force projection was a Force Power too far, it was telegraphed throughout the movie with Kylo's and Rey's Force projection. At first it was just seeing each other (with one being able to see the other's surrounds), but then it was touching each other when Luke walked in.

Wonder where Luke got the idea to Force Project from? Hmmmm....

We then learn that it was only someone really powerful in the Force to create that and it was Snoke who created the projections for Kylo and Rey. Well, guess who else is really powerful in the Force? Luke. Especially while at a Jedi temple.

21stamps

I think the numbers over the next week will be more significant. I know several people who have not seen it yet, but are planning to shortly.. and several more people who are planning on seeing it again.
Yesterday was the first day of Christmas Break for many schools.. people are still working/last minute shopping.. I think it will be interesting to see what the numbers are on next Friday more than this one.

bclane

Just thought of something. For all the people who thought Luke's Force projection was a Force Power too far, it was telegraphed throughout the movie with Kylo's and Rey's Force projection. At first it was just seeing each other (with one being able to see the other's surrounds), but then it was touching each other when Luke walked in.

Wonder where Luke got the idea to Force Project from? Hmmmm....

We then learn that it was only someone really powerful in the Force to create that and it was Snoke who created the projections for Kylo and Rey. Well, guess who else is really powerful in the Force? Luke. Especially while at a Jedi temple.
I wonder if he would have been able to project himself like that if he wasn’t in such a Force positive place. I have a feeling that being at the temple, with a living Force tree present had a lot to do with it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the numbers over the next week will be more significant. I know several people who have not seen it yet, but are planning to shortly.. and several more people who are planning on seeing it again.
Yesterday was the first day of Christmas Break for many schools.. people are still working/last minute shopping.. I think it will be interesting to see what the numbers are on next Friday more than this one.

I think the important part of the article is the talk of expectations...which is where I'm at with the forecasting right about now.

The next week through 1/1 will be telling. Disney will be very disappointed if this doesn't get in the 1.5-1.8 range...is my feeling.

But wait...are you saying that there's another $500 (200 domestic) mil or so lurking due to the calendar schedule?

That doesn't jive with box office history...if this thing doesany cross a bil abound the first of the year...then we'll be having a different kind of discuss here...

Gomer

I think the important part of the article is the talk of expectations...which is where I'm at with the forecasting right about now.

The next week through 1/1 will be telling. Disney will be very disappointed if this doesn't get in the 1.5-1.8 range...is my feeling.
1.8 would only be an approximate 10% drop off TFA. That would have Disney jumping for joy.

I've thought from the beginning a 30% drop should be the goal. That would be about 1.4 billion. 40% ahead of Rogue One. 30% behind TFA. I think Disney would be very happy with that. That would have been a reasonable projection for the natural fall off from the first film.

But who knows. Since when is Disney reasonable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1.8 would only be an approximate 10% drop off TFA. That would have Disney jumping for joy.

I've thought from the beginning a 30% drop should be the goal. That would be about 1.4 billion. 40% ahead of Rogue One. 30% behind TFA. I think Disney would be very happy with that. That would have been a reasonable projection for the natural fall off from the first film.

Perhaps...but a $1.4 would then set up the spin offs to do well below that and ep 9 to do slightly over $1 bil.

It's crazy to say that a billion isn't a lot of money...but it's actually true.

And Disney hasn't been reasonable for quite some time. Stocks and dividends are not good for quality product.

bclane

Historically there is always a drop off for the middle movie in a Star Wars trilogy (for all two times it’s happened before) and so I agree, Disney was probably expecting that or at least they should have been

Gomer

Perhaps...but a $1.4 would then set up the spin offs to do well below that and ep 9 to do slightly over $1 bil.

It's crazy to say that a billion isn't a lot of money...but it's actually true.

And Disney hasn't been reasonable for quite some time. Stocks and dividends are not good for quality product.
I don't think IX will necessarily drop at the same rate as VIII. TFA was a once in a lifetime, lighting in a bottle type event. So a steep drop off is inevitable. Future releases will behave more typically. Maybe then you see that 10-15 percent dropoff. Or, maybe even growth if everyone out there really hates TLJ as much as people are saying and are excited to get back to Abrams. :)

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think IX will necessarily drop at the same rate as VIII. TFA was a once in a lifetime, lighting in a bottle type event. So a steep drop off is inevitable. Future releases will behave more typically. Maybe then you see that 10-15 percent dropoff. Or, maybe even growth if everyone out there really hates TLJ as much as people are saying and are excited to get back to Abrams. :)

Yeah...what if you didn't like Abrams either?

Is there anyone in Hollywood more overrated? Be honest...he's the reboot king and is known for good "premise" of tv shows that don't necessarily hold form...

But I won't debate that (yet)....I think the important part was that 7 was an "event"...which leads me back to my description of the general frivolous audience...can't build a legacy on that...longterm.

bclane

The third movies seem to like to make more than the second. It seems to be tradition.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom