Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ep 8). SPOILERS. Plot points revealed and discussed.

BrianLo

Star Wars generally under performs internationally against other modern franchises due to relative lack of interest in China.

I need to step in because people are going to (and are) continually use this for fodder inappropriately.

Star Wars generally underperforms in China. That's the only place it underperforms. That's of course a major market that they'd love to crack, but have yet to. It could preform even better internationally if China got on board is what we need to say.

It does not underperform internationally relative to other modern franchises. It slightly underperforms internationally relative to itself. Otherwise your statement concludes that the 4th highest international film of all time is an underperformance. Star Wars underperforms relative to a single modern franchise (F&F), a soon-to-be franchise (Avatar) and an anomaly from 1997 (Titanic). Underperforms and international do not belong in the same sentence, since international is not synonymous with China....... yet.

To imply that it is a disappointment relative to other things because one part of itself is bigger than the other is an incorrect leap in logic. Both parts of it are massive, one just happens to be a record.

Other movies that are completely dependent on international take to stay afloat are not a good thing. I know people are just grasping at whatever stupid statistic than can to back up their opinion on the movie. In fact it's incredibly unhealthy the way some franchises are heading. Fate of the Furious (8) has a GREAT domestic/international split. That's not a terribly good thing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I need to step in because people are going to (and are) continually use this for fodder inappropriately.

Star Wars generally underperforms in China. That's the only place it underperforms. That's of course a major market that they'd love to crack, but have yet to.

It does not underperform internationally relative to other modern franchises. It slightly underperforms internationally relative to itself. Otherwise your statement concludes that the 4th highest international film of all time is an underperformance. Star Wars underperforms relative to a single modern franchise (F&F), a soon-to-be franchise (Avatar) and an anomaly from 1997 (Titanic) - that's a correct statement.

To imply that it is a disappointment relative to other things because one part of itself is bigger than the other is an incorrect leap in logic. Both parts of it are massive, one just happens to be a record.

Other movies that are completely dependent on international take to stay afloat are not a good thing. I know people are just grasping at whatever stupid statistic than can to back up their opinion on the movie. In fact it's incredibly unhealthy the way some franchises are heading. Fate of the Furious (8) has a GREAT domestic/international split. That's not a terribly good thing.

I have to step in here...

I said nothing of international disappointment...I just want to see if it fares better or worse compared to the last one.

And Star Wars movies do excellent in Western Europe...and Japan (hint)...but lag a little bit to other IPs in more developing markets.

It's always been carried more on average by North American gross...like many Disney cartoons.

No point, or statement other than that is being made...just something i'm interested in.

BrianLo

I have to step in here...

I said noting of international disappointment...I just want to see if it fares better or worse compared to the last one.

And Star Wars movies do excellent in Western Europe...and Japan (hint)...but lag a little bit to other IPs in more developing markets.

It's always been carried more on average by North American gross...like many Disney cartoons.

Not point, or statement other than that is being made...just something i'm interested in.

Agreed. I needed clarity.

I'm too interested in if they will crack China. I thought they would make more headway with Rogue One than they did.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. I needed clarity.

I'm too interested in if they will crack China. I thought they would make more headway with Rogue One than they did.

I doubt it...it just isn't much of a sell there. I think if they wanted to crack that market they to do it the opposite way and do a tv show or something targeted specifically at them. Not throwaway bit characters of API descent in confusing ambiguous stories

tk924

More questions than answers.

Why set up the mystery of Rey when there is no mystery? Kathleen Kennedy even said earlier this year that TLJ will address the mystery of Rey's parentage.
What happened to the Knights of Ren?
Who/what is supreme leader Snoke?
The unceremonious death of Akbar. Why create Holdo when Akbar could have been given a hero's death?
Why set up Phasma to be a bad a-- and kill her off so easily?
Why does the force no longer require lengthy training?
Why no "I have a bad feeling about this."? Even R1 had this line!

Seems RJ is trying too hard to deviate from what makes Star Wars. And he's the one tasked with a brand new trilogy? Oh, I have a very bad feeling about this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Why set up the mystery of Rey when there is no mystery? Kathleen Kennedy even said earlier this year that TLJ will address the mystery of Rey's parentage.
The unceremonious death of Akbar. Why create Holdo when Akbar could have been given a hero's death?
Why set up Phasma to be a bad a-- and kill her off so easily?

Seems RJ is trying too hard to deviate from what makes Star Wars. And he's the one tasked with a brand new trilogy? Oh, I have a very bad feeling about this.

I'm trying to let it breathe and not spin my wheels on this...
...but your making it hard because I can't get over any of the things you list.

So disney and Johnson have actually addressed the backlash...

What does that say? Disney doesn't mind the backlash unless their data says there is no other choice. Their go to move is "ignore" and they don't move off that easily..

And the defenders - who frankly have too low of expectations - have seemed to shift from the original "it's perfect!!!" Narrative that it's now a "stylistic" choice...like arthouse.

"Not all people like Picasso or Dali..."

...and some see through crap.

The reality is that we are in the middle of this. I'm guessing that while financially successful, the sequel trilogy will not resonate longterm and will be looked at as a tremendous mistake/missed opportunity.

And gareth edwards will look like a hero...and that movie was flawed. He'll be brought back.

Just my predictions.

Now we are left with Episode 9: Rey and Kylo: an Abrams Story...

With Finn stupidity.

Haven't they made chewie kinda stupid too? And R2 useless...

Any reason why THEY have to go??

Whatever...I'll stop now...

21stamps

What does that say? Disney doesn't mind the backlash unless their data says there is no other choice. Their go to move is "ignore" and they don't move off that easily..

And the defenders - who frankly have too low of expectations - have seemed to shift from the original "it's perfect!!!" Narrative that it's now a "stylistic" choice...like arthouse.

The reality is that we are in the middle of this. I'm guessing that while financially successful, the sequel trilogy will not resonate longterm and will be looked at as a tremendous mistake/missed opportunity.

And gareth edwards will look like a hero...and that movie was flawed. He'll be brought back.

Just my predictions.

With Finn stupidity.

I wish that R2D2 had more screen time. Don’t get me wrong, BB8 is great, but I feel like R2 doesn’t have anywhere to go without Luke. I hope I’m wrong. They could make him Rey’s new sidekick :)

tk924

I wish that R2D2 had more screen time. Don’t get me wrong, BB8 is great, but I feel like R2 doesn’t have anywhere to go without Luke. I hope I’m wrong. They could make him Rey’s new sidekick :)
Yes. One of my favorite TLJ scenes was between Luke and R2 on the Falcon. When R2 showed him Leia's hologram recording from ANH, well, that was awesome for me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I can't explain that at all...he saved them in every original movie and that is one of the more memorable/endearing qualities that are quintessential star wars.

Why does that need to be killed? No reason to "replace" one droid with another...there's room for two.

Just like holdo...and I like dern. Akbar serves the same purpose.

I wonder what the hell is going on at lucasfilm
And in Burbank? Who's protecting the characters/IP? That's why george made so much off it...he protected the IP...even if his take wasnt loved at times.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes. One of my favorite TLJ scenes was between Luke and R2 on the Falcon. When R2 showed him Leia's hologram recording from ANH, well, that was awesome for me.

Yes...but then it was counteracted by that stupid "I changed my hair" nonsense from marble mouth.

So are we now supposed to forget that Empire and Jedi (which I think now is the clearcut second best movie...it's been elevated) didn't exist?

That was silly.

tk924

Just my predictions.

With Finn stupidity.

Yeah, I know. I can't stop. Maybe this will subside with additional viewings but I can't seem to let this go right now.

TLJ is not a bad movie, but could have been so much better. It just seems like RJ has kicked the can down the road and now JJ has the daunting task of filling in the blanks in IX, if they're even interested in doing so.

Sorry for all the sour grapes here. There are things that I did like about TLJ and I will see it again.

I guess I must come to terms that the SW I knew and grew up with is gone. Dare I say that the PT continues to move up and may surpass what we seeing in VII and VIII. Especially if they continue to inject today's political propaganda. I didn't buy TFA on disc nor will I buy TLJ. They just don't feel like they fit in my collection.

I wasn't looking foward to Han Solo: A Star Wars story, but I am now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought abrams copped out...and then Johnson copped out and killed too many people...now it's back to Abrams?

Johnson was called by critics as "bold"...but I think there's a fine line between "bold" and "sabotage"...you decide.

When TFA came out...I read a critical review that said "Star Wars is Back!"...

Yeah...literally Star Wars was back...and that's abrams

Now Johnson "reinvented" it?
Doesn't that mean it isn't Star Wars anymore?

Talk about a ship without a rudder. It's clear Kennedy has been overrun and that she can't stand up to Disney's typical "concerns"...and knowing how disney operates, im not surprised.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess I must come to terms that the SW I knew and grew up with is gone. Dare I say that the PT continues to move up and may surpass what we seeing in VII and VIII. Especially if they continue to inject today's political propaganda. I didn't buy TFA on disc nor will I buy TLJ. They just don't feel like they fit in my collection.

I think a lot of us - the "resistance" (which is still stupid and unexplained) - are grappling with this.

It's ok if that slice of childhood/bliss goes...but it should be replaced with improvement for new generations and nobody can make a justified case that it has.

...perhaps if Lucas had burned the thumb drive with the special editions so TNT couldn't run them every weekend anymore?

fractal

Just got back from it......huh.....still processing it....

I think they went over a bit with the comedy routine....and now is it up to JJ keep it going in 9?

That's just how I felt coming out of Star Wars in 1977 - Oh wait, not really. I was actually flying high, heart racing, ready to take on Darth Vader myself, dreaming of becoming Luke Skywalker, imagination soaring creating all kinds of new adventures for these characters I just met, stunned beyond belief on what I just saw, the images and story and music seared in my memory, couldn't wait to tell all my friends about, was ready to walk right back in the theater again and watch over and over and over...

bclane

Why set up Phasma to be a bad and kill her off so easily?

On Rey’s parentage, I don’t believe Kylo Ren, but his words definitely had a psychological effect on her and just added to her hero’s journey imo.

On the Knights of Ren, patience my young padawon. There is a whole movie coming to feature them. My guess is they are made up of the kids that left Luke’s school for the gifted with Kylo.

On Snoke - I think the point is he was just the guy standing in the way of Kylo becoming the big boss. Maybe we’ll get more back story on him but either way I think he served his purpose well.

Yeah they did Admiral Ackbar wrong, I agree, but nothing wrong with Holdo being a hero imo. Her and Leia go way back and that may have been intended to have a role in her character arc going into the next movie, had Carrie Fisher not passed away.

I don’t believe that Phasma is dead and Rian has already hinted that she might be back.

On Force training. Rey is clearly something different. She is naturally powerful (to the extreme) and highly sensitive to the Force. But what she has is raw and she was pushed around like a rag doll by Snoke. To me, it’s like how some people take a lifetime to master an instrument, while some people are simply a prodigy and master it in a very short time. My roommate in college could literally pick up a new instrument, that he had never played before, around with it for a few hours, and play songs from the radio as if he’d been practicing for months. It was nuts! If I hadnt seen it with my own eyes a few times I wouldn’t have believed it. Anyway, if you recall with Luke’s training, most of it was teaching Luke to let go, to trust his feelings, and let the Force work through him. This comes easier for Rey and my personally theory is that the Force itself chose Rey to be something special and has been working with her for a long time...without her even knowing it.

On I’ve got a bad feeling about this, it is there. It’s an Easter egg and is spoken by BB-8...something for the fans to discover over time but Rian has confirmed that this is why Poe says to him Happy beeps buddy happy beeps.

Yes, Rian was trying to give the fans something new and I personally love what he’s done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom