Star Wars: The Acolyte

sedati

I had a friend that shared my love of Oreos as a child.
As I had a chance to meet with them recently, I brought them a pack of my new favorite, Toffee Crunch.
To my surprise he smacked the gift out of my hands and went into a long rant about the sad state of Oreos today.
Back when we were kids, Oreos were just Oreos, except for when they came out with Double-Stuff which was a sequel that improved upon the original. There was no need for different flavors, colors, etc.
I told him I remembered Mint Oreos which I loved.
He admitted mint Oreos were around back then, but said they were made for babies, not true fans.
"Oh," I said taking the not-to-subtle insult, then tried to move on to other subjects.
He then told me Oreos were ruined forever, that he was done with them.
I told him they still make regular and Double-Stuff.
"Did I stutter?" he said.
"Um..."
He then admonished me for supporting people who would harm children.
"Oh, because of the sugar? I mean, they're meant to be a some-times treat, not a lifestyle."
It was then I was lectured on about Nabisco being sold in 2000 and how the nefarious new owners didn't understand or respect the heritage of the original brand or its fans and was hell bent on destroying it by growing its retail presence in a way that currently dominates the entire cookie aisle of any grocer.
"Huh? Wait,"
Then I was told the true intent of all these "flavors" was for indoctrination into deviant lifestyles, and worse- so much worse that if one dug deep enough they found it led all the way to liberal billionaires consuming the pulp of not only liquified babies, but liquified babies who needed to be properly terrified upon pulping.
"Oh, hey, look at the time- gotta go, nice catching up-bye!"
My head swimming, I couldn't help but look into some of the claims. To my shock, r/oreos, oreomagic.com, twitter, youtube, the yahoo comments for the stock, etc were inundated with similar claims being hammered with a religious ferocity. An entire industry seemed to be built on this hatred of Oreos though I couldn't find much in the way of facts. Oddly, many of the most devoutly anti-Oreo were still doing product reviews and selling their own Oreo related merch.
Many were outraged that Oreos were now Vegan- a sure sign of "woke-ness", not realizing Oreos were always Vegan. Females in the company seemed to be specifically targeted.
Some had legitimate concerns regarding healthiness but were just as likely to tout even less healthy alternatives. Some legitimately hated a few of the new flavors (Hot Wing, Swedish Fish, etc) or corporate decisions but seemed completely dismissive of those who did enjoy them. Some of the most influential had had direct ties to Hydrox and other competitors or foreign interests who they repeatedly tout as good and godly though one or two have been tried in court for some of the crimes they alleged Oreo to be committing.
I did find some shady practices (actual child-labor) as is sadly the case with any mega-conglomeration, but was equally surprised that those were largely ignored by these groups.
Eventually I found that Oreo still has its fans but they seemed more content to enjoy the cookies than spend their precious free time debunking the endless conspiracies online.
;) :cry:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Too bad this is not what that comment was about. Nice try though.

She recently made a video (as in within the last few days) to address the “haters” then is using YouTube to prevent people from commenting on if it had the video or any parts thereof in it.

She can make all the claims she wants, make any videos she wants etc and fire back at anyone she wants. But to then turn around and limit who can respond to her in kind? That’s likely not going to end well and only emboldened those already attacking her.
So a content creator created a piece of content. Others tried to then use that piece of content that they didn't make themselves to make money off of. That content creator didn't want their brand to be used in that way, which is their right, so they used Youtube's legal mechanism to claim copyright on their content.

This isn't limiting who can respond to her, this is limiting grifters from making money off the content they didn't create and don't have a right to use. Those grifters can make however many and whatever response videos of their own they want without using said piece of content and they wouldn't get copyright claims.

Willmark

So a content creator created a piece of content. Others tried to then use that piece of content that they didn't make themselves to make money off of. That content creator didn't want their brand to be used in that way, which is their right, so they used Youtube's legal mechanism to claim copyright on their content.

This isn't limiting who can respond to her, this is limiting grifters from making money off the content they didn't create and don't have a right to use. Those grifters can make however many and whatever response videos of their own they want without using said piece of content and they wouldn't get copyright claims.
It’s certainly one way to look at it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s certainly one way to look at it.
That's the only way to look at it.

If you create something and then I try to profit off of your work by putting it on full display within my own work then you have every right to go after me if I'm either A. not licensing it from you or B. using it in a way that is not what you consider in the best interest of your work or brand.

If however I'm just commenting on your work without actually using it that is fair game.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be fair, he did say

I don't think that's ignoring the bad parts. The OT has lots of flaws, but nothing on the level of a lot of the Disney era stuff. You see, for every, but I wanted to go to toshi station to pick up some power converters. You got a, No, I am your father. Or let the hate flow through you.

If we had gotten those big moments with Disney, most aren't near as hard on Disney star wars. They did it with rogue one. I know a great many who the movie went from good to fantastic because of the end Vader scene. Truly a top 5 star wars moment in m eyes.
Admiral Radus…if you don’t get Appeal of that character…you don’t honestly get the emotional tug of Star Wars at all.

Some decent other moments too…smits walking in from the shadows.

That’s why R1 has been regarded better as time went on…like the OT…and the other films have not. That’s Star Wars

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
An old clip with the Acolyte star was widely circulated insinuating that the goal of this show was to make white people cry. The actual context is far different and its use in this way was frankly disgusting. As an artist she sought a creative way to confront the slander and hate.

This too has been met with slander and hate.

Too bad this is not what that comment was about. Nice try though.

She recently made a video (as in within the last few days) to address the “haters” then is using YouTube to prevent people from commenting on if it had the video or any parts thereof in it.

She can make all the claims she wants, make any videos she wants etc and fire back at anyone she wants. But to then turn around and limit who can respond to her in kind? That’s likely not going to end well and only emboldened those already attacking her.

Under no conditions/circumstances was that a smart move.

It was “artistically stupid”…she needs a better agent.

MickeyLuv'r

To my surprise he smacked the gift out of my hands and went into a long rant about the sad state of Oreos today.
Back when we were kids, Oreos were just Oreos, except for when they came out with Double-Stuff which was a sequel that improved upon the original. There was no need for different flavors, colors, etc.

It was then I was lectured on about Nabisco being sold in 2000 and how the nefarious new owners didn't understand or respect the heritage of the original brand or its fans and was hell bent on destroying it by growing its retail presence in a way that currently dominates the entire cookie aisle of any grocer.
"Huh? Wait,"
Many were outraged that Oreos were now Vegan- a sure sign of "woke-ness", not realizing Oreos were always Vegan. Females in the company seemed to be specifically targeted.
Not sure what any of this has to do with the Acolyte, but it is incorrect. Oreos were originally made with lard. They were also a copycat of the now lesser-known Hydrox cookie (1908 and Oreos 1912). It is an interesting story.

From the link below: [The Lose-Wiles company, maker of Hydrox cookies] helps create the country's first kosher certification program and becomes a favorite of Jewish households. Oreos, on the other hand, were made with lard and weren't certified kosher until 70 years later.

(A transcript of the above podcast is available online)

mickEblu

The more shows they do…the more it reinforces my take away that Star Wars belongs on the big screen.

Episodic fits Star Trek…not sure it ever did for this?

Yeah, this is the conclusion I've come to. An event movie on the big screen every few years I'm there. I lost interest in the Star Wars D+ shows at some point between Book of Boba Fest and season 3 of the Mandalorian. Didn't even finish season 3 of Mando. Haven't seen one episode of any Star Wars D+ show since.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, this is the conclusion I've come to. An event movie on the big screen every few years I'm there. I lost interest in the Star Wars D+ shows at some point between Book of Boba Fest and season 3 of the Mandalorian. Didn't even finish season 3 of Mando. Haven't seen one episode of any Star Wars D+ show since.

Star Wars belongs on the screen…I didn’t use to think that…but it seems like a reality now.

Which means you have to care to make that kind of epic movie…and Disney - frankly - never did.

Phroobar

I had a friend that shared my love of Oreos as a child.
As I had a chance to meet with them recently, I brought them a pack of my new favorite, Toffee Crunch.
I told him I remembered Mint Oreos which I loved.
He admitted mint Oreos were around back then, but said they were made for babies, not true fans.
"Oh," I said taking the not-to-subtle insult, then tried to move on to other subjects.
He then told me Oreos were ruined forever, that he was done with them.
I told him they still make regular and Double-Stuff.
"Did I stutter?" he said.
"Um..."
He then admonished me for supporting people who would harm children.
"Oh, because of the sugar? I mean, they're meant to be a some-times treat, not a lifestyle."
"Huh? Wait,"
Then I was told the true intent of all these "flavors" was for indoctrination into deviant lifestyles, and worse- so much worse that if one dug deep enough they found it led all the way to liberal billionaires consuming the pulp of not only liquified babies, but liquified babies who needed to be properly terrified upon pulping.
"Oh, hey, look at the time- gotta go, nice catching up-bye!"
My head swimming, I couldn't help but look into some of the claims. To my shock, r/oreos, oreomagic.com, twitter, youtube, the yahoo comments for the stock, etc were inundated with similar claims being hammered with a religious ferocity. An entire industry seemed to be built on this hatred of Oreos though I couldn't find much in the way of facts. Oddly, many of the most devoutly anti-Oreo were still doing product reviews and selling their own Oreo related merch.
Some had legitimate concerns regarding healthiness but were just as likely to tout even less healthy alternatives. Some legitimately hated a few of the new flavors (Hot Wing, Swedish Fish, etc) or corporate decisions but seemed completely dismissive of those who did enjoy them. Some of the most influential had had direct ties to Hydrox and other competitors or foreign interests who they repeatedly tout as good and godly though one or two have been tried in court for some of the crimes they alleged Oreo to be committing.
I did find some shady practices (actual child-labor) as is sadly the case with any mega-conglomeration, but was equally surprised that those were largely ignored by these groups.
Eventually I found that Oreo still has its fans but they seemed more content to enjoy the cookies than spend their precious free time debunking the endless conspiracies online.
;) :cry:
Did Nabisco offend the 4chan group again?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Their stated goal was

“We can make these awesome billion dollar movies AND shows AND you’ll buy,buy,buy!!”

They just didn’t pull off the first part and can’t recover.

Kinda what’s going at MCU too…to a lesser degree now.

Good movies are the keystone. Can’t win without them

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
…indeed

Accepting terrible parts might be the underlying thing there?

That part of what a good agent does that's missing is keeping your talent engaged with a good publicist that assists controlling their public image which in turn makes them more marketable. Evil cycle I know, but casting directors don't want to taint their productions with uncontrolled controversy which will reduce the box office.

CinematicFusion

This is interesting.. Facebook is using AI to sum messages into a summarized thought…
IMG_3271.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3271.png
    IMG_3271.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 7

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom