Star Wars: The Acolyte

mysto

The Acolyte, brought to you by the soundstage and wardrobe departments..who needs meaningful dialog?

I do feel like the writing is weirdly bifurcated, great story, weak dialog. It's not that cut-and-dried really, there are moments.

And the environments are mostly fantastic, echoing your soundstage/wardrobe comment. I'm transported elsewhere while watching.

The acting is mixed, the leads are generally OK. The Qimir/merchant character in episode 2 stood out for me.

DKampy

I personally like the Acolyte because of how different it feels from other Star Wars projects. Feels like a breath of fresh air and I've enjoyed it more than the Mandalorian season 3, Book of Boba Fett, Obi Wan and Ahsoka.

But I can also understand why many fans feel it's simply "not Star Wars." Am baffled by the extreme hatred thrown toward the show. Unlike The Last Jedi (which I liked) or Rise of Skywalker (which I HATED), The Acolyte can be easily ignored if it's not your cup of tea.
I agree with much of this… It is the same reason I enjoyed Andor…although that is of a higher caliber Show… it is something I was hoping we would get more of when Disney plus was announced… it could be way to explore different aspect of the Star Wars universe including completely different genres

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree with much of this… It is the same reason I enjoyed Andor…although that is of a higher caliber Show… it is something I was hoping we would get more of when Disney plus was announced… it could be way to explore different aspect of the Star Wars universe including completely different genres
The more shows they do…the more it reinforces my take away that Star Wars belongs on the big screen.

Episodic fits Star Trek…not sure it ever did for this?

Casper Gutman

I do feel like the writing is weirdly bifurcated, great story, weak dialog. It's not that cut-and-dried really, there are moments.

And the environments are mostly fantastic, echoing your soundstage/wardrobe comment. I'm transported elsewhere while watching.

The acting is mixed, the leads are generally OK. The Qimir/merchant character in episode 2 stood out for me.
“Great Story, Weak Dialog” could be the Star Wars franchise motto since ‘77.

Except for Andor, of course.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
“Great Story, Weak Dialog” could be the Star Wars franchise motto since ‘77.

Except for Andor, of course.
You might want to watch empire and Jedi again…

Not perfect movies…but there are dialogue sequences that harken more to citizen kane more than Star Trek or planet of the apes

That’s why it’s special…and you best know what you’re doing and not mess it up

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Please dont start with Michael Giordano's video. We know things are bad without his internal confirmation. Lets stay focused on the episodes and the series as a whole.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

AdventureHasAName

1000_F_820183059_az3rFJHcXtbj0AlR1o0fcCx6fflyCr3o.jpg

MoonRakerSCM

Interviewing about the story they've put together and excited about the character she's playing?

Excited about the fight sequences she got to do and talk about the choreography and her experience being in a Star Wars series?

Promotional poublic guest appearances/fan events?

.... no .... this is what we get. Good lord.

Willmark

Apparently she is now going after people reacting to her video with reporting to YouTube.

Looks like it’s because it’s on channels that have (heavy) monetization?

I don’t think that’s how fair use works…unsure on the monetize part, either way not a good look.

Apparently she is now going after people reacting to her video with reporting to YouTube.

Looks like it’s because it’s on channels that have (heavy) monetization?

I don’t think that’s how fair use works…unsure on the monetize part, either way not a good look.
huh? whats happening?

Not perfect movies…but there are dialogue sequences that harken more to citizen kane more than Star Trek or planet of the apes

That’s why it’s special…and you best know what you’re doing and not mess it up
yeah I love to look back at movies of my childhood with rose tinted glasses too and ignore the bad parts.

The OT is special because of combination of all the elements, the VFX, the Story (while basic but effective), the characters and probably most importantly the score.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
yeah I love to look back at movies of my childhood with rose tinted glasses too and ignore the bad parts.

The OT is special because of combination of all the elements, the VFX, the Story (while basic but effective), the characters and probably most importantly the score.

That’s a superficial take we all lived through

No one said in 1990 that Star Wars was well written and acted

What changed was we have since had a huge grind out by studios of just awfully written movies and plots.

Mark hamill was a laughing stock back then he’s been lauded ever since with increasing regality like he’s Lawrence Olivier

I typically am not a good person to spar with over revisionist history.

erasure fan1

To be fair, he did say

Not perfect movies…
I don't think that's ignoring the bad parts. The OT has lots of flaws, but nothing on the level of a lot of the Disney era stuff. You see, for every, but I wanted to go to toshi station to pick up some power converters. You got a, No, I am your father. Or let the hate flow through you.

If we had gotten those big moments with Disney, most aren't near as hard on Disney star wars. They did it with rogue one. I know a great many who the movie went from good to fantastic because of the end Vader scene. Truly a top 5 star wars moment in m eyes.

sedati

huh? whats happening?
An old clip with the Acolyte star was widely circulated insinuating that the goal of this show was to make white people cry. The actual context is far different and its use in this way was frankly disgusting. As an artist she sought a creative way to confront the slander and hate.

This too has been met with slander and hate.

Willmark

An old clip with the Acolyte star was widely circulated insinuating that the goal of this show was to make white people cry. The actual context is far different and its use in this way was frankly disgusting. As an artist she sought a creative way to confront the slander and hate.

Too bad this is not what that comment was about. Nice try though.

She recently made a video (as in within the last few days) to address the “haters” then is using YouTube to prevent people from commenting on if it had the video or any parts thereof in it.

She can make all the claims she wants, make any videos she wants etc and fire back at anyone she wants. But to then turn around and limit who can respond to her in kind? That’s likely not going to end well and only emboldened those already attacking her.

Last edited:
That’s a superficial take we all lived through

No one said in 1990 that Star Wars was well written and acted

What changed was we have since had a huge grind out by studios of just awfully written movies and plots.

Mark hamill was a laughing stock back then he’s been lauded ever since with increasing regality like he’s Lawrence Olivier

I typically am not a good person to spar with over revisionist history.

no what happened was the AFI's top 100 greatest movies list coming out in 1998 i think it was. When that was put on the list it gave it legitimacy. It was no longer a fun popcorn movie and all the kids that grew up with thought that meant it was the greatest work of art.

If you think the quality of movies has gotten worse then your off your rocker. I agree you aren't a good person to spar with since you don't seem to understand basic history.

oh that clip? No that wasn't about the Acolyte. This is one of the things the grifters have been claiming. The clip was from 2018 she was talking about the movie The Hate U Give.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom