Star Wars survey from Disney

Funmeister

The new movies aren't going to have the cultural cache that the old ones do, not among the general public, not among die-hard fans. They just aren't no matter how good they are. The original trilogy is practically quotable from start to finished due to how worn into popular culture it is. Holding off on a full Avatarland until at least Avatar II is done is a decent idea, holding off on Star Wars is not.

I agree with what you are saying but those are the exact reasons Disney will do what I mentioned. Buying marvel, Lucas and avatar theme park rights were somewhat of a knee jerk reaction to fill a glaring need. Disney does not care about ip culture or they would get behind some of their own properties.

Could you imagine a blockbuster effects laden live action film mased on their story of Atlantis? It was a great story...wrong execution IMHO. I would much rather visit Atlantis at dak than pandora...sea world probably own the theme park rights exclusively east of the Mississippi. Lol

Sue_Vongello

The new movies aren't going to have the cultural cache that the old ones do, not among the general public, not among die-hard fans. They just aren't no matter how good they are. The original trilogy is practically quotable from start to finished due to how worn into popular culture it is. Holding off on a full Avatarland until at least Avatar II is done is a decent idea, holding off on Star Wars is not.

I TOTALLY agree that holding off on Avatarland to see how the subsequent films do is the right move and holding off on Star Wars is foolish ...

I will however, mildly disagree that the new films will not have cultural cache ... I think the new films will connect instantly (despite story) because it's characters we actually care about. That is the problem the prequels had ... they were essentially all new characters who none of us had a connection too. Sure Obi-Wan was in the movie(s) but really in the original trilogy we only had cumulatively like 40 minutes with him? So it's not like we watched him grow over the course of three films and additionally in the prequels he was kind stiff and hard to connect with (mostly). Anyway, my point is I think despite the story and negative stigma old fans have ... seeing Luke, Leia, and Han again (even fatter) will have cultural cache and generate excitement and good will.

Cliff Racer

Its possible, but I think the fourth Indiana Jones film is a good dry run in this department. Setting aside the film's quality (haven't seen it, can't say) if you were to ask people how many Indiana Jones films there were half of them would probably blurt out "three" before going back to correct themselves and most of the rest would be kids going "I dunno." I sort of doubt any of its individual sequences have become as iconic as the stuff from Grail and the like too. I guess most importantly is that, due to being loaded with action sequences, its not theres a lack of ride-suitable things to riff off of. Even with a full park to fill out there's so much in there that its not like people will be scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for rides. Though they might, I admit, want a little more variety when looking for lands (desert, jungle, swamp and thats about it unless you want to try you hand at building a Hoth in either Florida or southern California.)

RSoxNo1

I know fairly recently someone let it slip that more Star Wars content would be going to Hong Kong, were any details revealed there? Could we be facing a scenario where lands are built simultaneously?

Personally, I have less of a problem with clones if they're built at the same time, and would much prefer DHS rolled into my highly speculative scenario over a Carsland expansion.

doctornick

I know fairly recently someone let it slip that more Star Wars content would be going to Hong Kong, were any details revealed there? Could we be facing a scenario where lands are built simultaneously?

Personally, I have less of a problem with clones if they're built at the same time, and would much prefer DHS rolled into my highly speculative scenario over a Carsland expansion.

I also things clones should be much more palatable when they involve parks on totally different continents. Hong Kong is literally on the other side of the globe from Orlando. The crossover in patrons between the parks approaches zero. It's one thing to argue that DLR and WDW shouldn't get the same rides, but HKDL and WDW is a pretty different animal.

But, yeah, if Disney is developing SW attractions for HKDL, why wouldn't they consider cloning them for DHS? They love to spread that develop costs between parks and both parks could use the inevitable boost and attention that Star Wars would bring.

twebber55

I also things clones should be much more palatable when they involve parks on totally different continents. Hong Kong is literally on the other side of the globe from Orlando. The crossover in patrons between the parks approaches zero. It's one thing to argue that DLR and WDW shouldn't get the same rides, but HKDL and WDW is a pretty different animal.

But, yeah, if Disney is developing SW attractions for HKDL, why wouldn't they consider cloning them for DHS? They love to spread that develop costs between parks and both parks could use the inevitable boost and attention that Star Wars would bring.
my only thought would be that TDO or burbank thinks they are working on cars land and avatar right now and star wars after the first movie comes out

doctornick

my only thought would be that TDO or burbank thinks they are working on cars land and avatar right now and star wars after the first movie comes out

Perhaps. Though there would be a certain logic in doing Star Wars first (before Cars Land) since it would replace backstage or unused space and thus add to capacity at the park first. That would make it easier to close LMA/Backlot Tour to build Cars Land. But that's just how I would do it -- I'd do something in Soundstage 1 (Monster's Inc door coaster or whatever) and build Star Wars stuff on the Backlot Express/parade building area/Sounds Dangerous Theater. Do that now and then, when it opens, close LMA/Backlot and do a full Pixar Place makeover for Cars Land and whatever.

But I think TDO and Burbank is going to push for Cars Land first, even though it will really hurt capacity at the park during construction. I just hope they at least open up the Premier Theater during that time to add something.

jt04

Perhaps. Though there would be a certain logic in doing Star Wars first (before Cars Land) since it would replace backstage or unused space and thus add to capacity at the park first. That would make it easier to close LMA/Backlot Tour to build Cars Land. But that's just how I would do it -- I'd do something in Soundstage 1 (Monster's Inc door coaster or whatever) and build Star Wars stuff on the Backlot Express/parade building area/Sounds Dangerous Theater. Do that now and then, when it opens, close LMA/Backlot and do a full Pixar Place makeover for Cars Land and whatever.

But I think TDO and Burbank is going to push for Cars Land first, even though it will really hurt capacity at the park during construction. I just hope they at least open up the Premier Theater during that time to add something.

Pretty sure Star Wars will get pushed to the front of the queue as they need to capitalize on that purchase as soon as possible. And they need it open before the buzz really cranks up for Episode VII.

Episode VII. Just like typing it. Episode VII :)

MarkTwain

This is something I think about too. I rant against clones a lot but I don't find them nearly as problematic when they're on opposite sides of the planet. Disneyland and WDW shouldn't share many attractions because the potential is high for many guests to visit them both, and many do. As a result, Disney should keep an incentive for guests to visit both parks. But having Orlando and Shanghai, or Disneyland and Hong Kong share attractions doesn't seem nearly as big of a deal to me.

As much as I love Star Wars, I have no desire for Disney to create an entire "land" based solely upon something it had no hand in imagining or creating. Between Potter at Uni, and Avatar along with this rumor for WDW...the Central Fla theme parks are taking on a new genre of: "Look what we bought!".

I wanna see some original source material poured into the parks. There are more than enough windows of opportunity for this. (Personally I've always wanted a major Lion King E-ticket of sorts for DAK). Rather than buying up all the cool things out there, and implementing them into the parks as new lands.

No problem with the Star Tours attraction. It is great. But as far as an entire land goes...let's see some more legit Disney. Just my two cents.
As much as I'd love to see a Star Wars land I couldn't agree more. The Disney owned material would make so much sense. I'll add my two cents to yours.

doctornick

This is something I think about too. I rant against clones a lot but I don't find them nearly as problematic when they're on opposite sides of the planet. Disneyland and WDW shouldn't share many attractions because the potential is high for many guests to visit them both, and many do. As a result, Disney should keep an incentive for guests to visit both parks. But having Orlando and Shanghai, or Disneyland and Hong Kong share attractions doesn't seem nearly as big of a deal to me.

Yes. I'm not opposed to clones, but do think there should be efforts to limit them between relatively nearby parks. For WDW, I would try to minimize clones from DLR and DLP (WDW gets a lot of guests from Europe, especially England). I don't care much if WDW gets clones from Asia; in fact, I think it's probably a good idea to clone top notch rides from Asia for WDW like having Mysterious Island come to DAK.

If Star Wars is being developed for one (or both) of the China parks, why not duplicate for Florida? Does anyone think that would remotely impact Hong Kong's attendance?

That said, I'm confused about what is going to Hong Kong next (after Mystic Manor)-- is it Star Wars or Marvel?

doctornick

So, in reading up on stuff, it sounds like SW is heading to Paris specifically (but maybe not to China). The rumors for Paris are the change to Star Tours 2 and then convert an existing restaurant to Mos Eisley Cantina and to convert their Captain Eo theater to a Jedi Training Academy and add a store. It's funny because that exact same plan has been rumored for DHS (Mos Eisley Cantina replacing the Backlot Express and Jedi Training Academy going in the Sounds Dangerous space); I would think it would be easy to develop simultaneously for both parks if the will was there to do so.

I'm not sure Star Wars is heading to China in the immediate future, though there was definitely smoke about SW in Hong Kong or Shanghai shortly after the Lucasfilm acquisition. My guess is that it is in the planning stage, but further in the future than SW at Paris.

As an aside, wouldn't it make a lot of sense for one of the China parks to get a significant Marvel presence and the other to get a significant Star Wars one to differentiate between the two?

wdwfan4ver

Yes. I'm not opposed to clones, but do think there should be efforts to limit them between relatively nearby parks. For WDW, I would try to minimize clones from DLR and DLP (WDW gets a lot of guests from Europe, especially England). I don't care much if WDW gets clones from Asia; in fact, I think it's probably a good idea to clone top notch rides from Asia for WDW like having Mysterious Island come to DAK.

If Star Wars is being developed for one (or both) of the China parks, why not duplicate for Florida? Does anyone think that would remotely impact Hong Kong's attendance?

That said, I'm confused about what is going to Hong Kong next (after Mystic Manor)-- is it Star Wars or Marvel?
Its Marvel.

wdwfan4ver

So, in reading up on stuff, it sounds like SW is heading to Paris specifically (but maybe not to China). The rumors for Paris are the change to Star Tours 2 and then convert an existing restaurant to Mos Eisley Cantina and to convert their Captain Eo theater to a Jedi Training Academy and add a store. It's funny because that exact same plan has been rumored for DHS (Mos Eisley Cantina replacing the Backlot Express and Jedi Training Academy going in the Sounds Dangerous space); I would think it would be easy to develop simultaneously for both parks if the will was there to do so.
WDW1974 did mention the rumors of Star Wars for Paris has two phases. The 2nd phase is a E Ticket and a B/C ticket.

I found that info from:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ns-ii-nge-baxter.859440/page-106#post-5347739

NoChesterHester

Pretty sure Star Wars will get pushed to the front of the queue as they need to capitalize on that purchase as soon as possible. And they need it open before the buzz really cranks up for Episode VII.

Episode VII. Just like typing it. Episode VII :)

Phase one?!?!? A small expansion of the Star Wars presence before the release of the film could be the opening salvo in an all on Star Wars pop culture blitz.

After Star Tours 2.0 debuted I openly questioned if the popularity of a Galaxy Far Far away had already peaked. I don't see that any more. All a website has to do is mention the words "Episode VII Rumors" an they trust to a worldwide page hit trend. Good times are ahead.

Episode VII... Yes, I like typing it too.

WDW1974

Star Wars content is being added to DLP soon. Clearly, with all the surveying (because Disney lacks any and all trust in itself and its people) being commissioned, Disney is gauging what might happen at DLR and WDW in the future. But HKDL, which has an expansion pad for Star Tours, will not be getting anything Star Wars related. That was an idea and Disney decided on Marvel instead. I would have preferred SW myself.

NoChesterHester

Star Wars content is being added to DLP soon. Clearly, with all the surveying (because Disney lacks any and all trust in itself and its people) being commissioned, Disney is gauging what might happen at DLR and WDW in the future. But HKDL, which has an expansion pad for Star Tours, will not be getting anything Star Wars related. That was an idea and Disney decided on Marvel instead. I would have preferred SW myself.

The Chinese like Green Hulk Monsters better than Wookies?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom