Star Wars survey from Disney

Genie of the Lamp

Saw this article on the LA Times about a Star Wars Land in DLR:
http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-star-wars-land-20130322,0,4726667.story
Key points:
A spokeswoman for Disneyland declined to say much about the survey except, "We continually engage with our guests regarding their experiences in our parks."
"We have nothing to announce at this time," added Suzi Brown.

I'm just glad they're surveying their loyal guests and wanting their feedback as to what their SW land would consist of.

Tim_4

HP Land cost what like 250-300 million and New Fantasyland cost like 450 million, right? We know those numbers ...

We can all agree that while New Fantasyland may be pretty its nothing next to Potter Land ... so ...

So it takes roughly 150-200 million more to make an inferior product?
Not comparable. At all. ANY work at the Magic Kingdom is useless for comparison purposes because of its unique needs.

1. Access is hell.
2. It requires almost all 3rd shift labor, which is expensive.
3. The utilidors.
4. The berm.

Numbers 3 and 4 refer to unique structural and engineering needs at the Magic Kigdom. A better comparison would exist in a proposed DHS expansion or even Disney Springs but you just can't compare building on top of a tunnel in the middle of the busiest land in the busiest park in the world to building on a preexisting expansion plot.

Sue_Vongello

Not comparable. At all. ANY work at the Magic Kingdom is useless for comparison purposes because of its unique needs.

1. Access is hell.
3. The utilidors.
4. The berm.

Numbers 3 and 4 refer to unique structural and engineering needs at the Magic Kigdom. A better comparison would exist in a proposed DHS expansion or even Disney Springs but you just can't compare building on top of a tunnel in the middle of the busiest land in the busiest park in the world to building on a preexisting expansion plot.

New Fantasyland was not built over utilidors and it was not done third shift ... but yes to your point, Disney makes things more expensive, time consuming, and complicated than they have to be.

Tim_4

New Fantasyland was not built over utilidors and it was not done third shift ... but yes to your point, Disney makes things more expensive, time consuming, and complicated than they have to be.
I'm sorry but you're just wrong. They had to actually reroute utilidors during the process of building New Fantasyland. This had significant schedule and cost implications. I have actual knowledge of this far beyond "an MK CP told me so."

Sue_Vongello

I'm sorry but you're just wrong. They had to actually reroute utilidors during the process of building New Fantasyland. This had significant schedule and cost implications. I have actual knowledge of this far beyond "an MK CP told me so."

We all have our sources, no worries. On that point we'll agree to disagree but no point debating because ultimately we are on the same page ... Disney makes things too complicated hence more expensive then they have to be.

flavious27

HP Land cost what like 250-300 million and New Fantasyland cost like 450 million, right? We know those numbers ...

We can all agree that while New Fantasyland may be pretty its nothing next to Potter Land ... so ...

The main cost of potterland was forbidden journey, all of the other rides were re-purposed. Along with that, uni did not have to move much around to get wwohp built. It is apples to oranges to compare the two on price. On content, hp and the disney movies appeal to children and adults but hp is more action based and see that with their rides. I really would not call fle an inferior product, just a different one.

The ineptitude of the tech bloggers at attempting to describe the parks was somewhat hilarious

I like the one person that couldn't understand what DHS was and tried to blame it on the disney changing the location of their park to make dlr have more appeal.

I don't recall hearing about Avatar surveys ... which is puzzling for a variety of reasons ... namely Avatar is the no brainer but Star Wars needs research?

Or maybe they learned their lesson and the negative reaction to Avatar made them skiddish about not doing due diligence on all future endeavors.

Could also be that disney is listening to their fans and stoking the flames.

Yankee Mouse

I'm probably going to get shot for this comment :oops: , and I know I'm probably stupid for even thinking about it considering its never going to happen. BUT, because Disney seem so intent lately in buying IPs left, right and centre. Why are they trying to force it onto their existing parks, I mean Avatar in AK - it does not fit the theme regardless of what angle you look at it! Star Wars and Indiana Jones? Hollywood Studios has very little capacity left and a Star Wars area is not what the park is supposed to be about, neither is it right for Carsland to be thrown into the mix in my opinion. Its meant to be about show-business, and its fine to put themed attractions within the park as long as it fits the area its being put into. A Lucasfilm production themed area would be fine, but not just 'Star Wars land' or 'Cars Land'. Seriously?

This has been mentioned before in other threads but, honestly, at this point I think it is silly to think that DHS should be just about show-business. It has evolved from its original conception. It just makes sense for them to scrap things like LMA and move the park away from their fake working studio concept that I personally am not a fan of.

A star wars land, expanded pixar place, and cars land sound like good starts to move away from their non-working working studio concept to one just about the movies and how much fun it is to immerse yourself in those worlds. Obviously all those would be a lot of changes, so it is probably unrealistic to hope for all that. Being a star wars fan though, I would like to see a decent sized land built.

Sue_Vongello

The main cost of potterland was forbidden journey, all of the other rides were re-purposed. Along with that, uni did not have to move much around to get wwohp built. It is apples to oranges to compare the two on price. On content, hp and the disney movies appeal to children and adults but hp is more action based and see that with their rides. I really would not call fle an inferior product, just a different one.

I'm sure I'm just splitting hairs but New Fantasyland has two two re-purposed rides, a meet and greet, and two D-tickets ... But my point is its not apples and oranges because we are talking conceptually about "what has been built last" ...

Now the lands were created for different purposes, granted, but it's not apples and oranges its more like oranges and tangerines.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't recall hearing about Avatar surveys ... which is puzzling for a variety of reasons ... namely Avatar is the no brainer but Star Wars needs research?

Or maybe they learned their lesson and the negative reaction to Avatar made them skiddish about not doing due diligence on all future endeavors.

You can't always apply logic to the way large corporation do things.

Funmeister

1. Access is hell.
3. The utilidors.
4. The berm.

Sorry. Have to disagree on this one. FLE had the best possible access anyone could ask for utilizing the back access road running from the tunnel entrance to Disney University bus stop. Strike one. 3rd shift labor is ONLY used when strict project deadlines are approaching. Even so...the construction is paid by the construction and development company based on the agreed amount from Disney. I hate to burst your bubble but most construction workers you see are NOT Disney. Imagineers work on site on specialized jobs (mostly having to do with sculpting or painting. Strike two. Utilidors? Half of Future World at Epcot is built on top of a utilidor including Spaceship Earth. Strike three. The berm? I guess Hogwarts Express between IOA and Universal Studios does not intrude on what could be considered a "virtual" berm? I mean it will be located outside the confides of BOTH parks. (FYI thee have been project proposals in the past that have suggested utilizing portions of land outside the train tracks and "berm." Strike four...if there were a strike four. I think Disney has it much better than Universal in some respects when it comes to expansion.

I understand what you are trying to say but with that logic the Magic Kingdom would be exactly the way it was when it opened in 1971.

Tim_4

I'm sure I'm just splitting hairs but New Fantasyland has two two re-purposed rides, a meet and greet, and two D-tickets ... But my point is its not apples and oranges because we are talking conceptually about "what has been built last"
Dumbo - Repurposed ride
Goofini - Repurposed ride
Little Mermaid - New D-ticket
Seven Dwarves - TBD D or E ticket
Various merch and dining options

Hippogriff - Repurposed ride
Dragons - Repurposed ride
Forbidden Journey - E-ticket

Basically the only reason that WWoHP is perceived to be so superior to New Fantasyland is because Harry Potter is stronger intellectual property than the stuff in FLE. Plus, there's just general negativity about Disney with some of you. When Disney makes "Be Our Guest," the response is "ugh great another overpriced sit down where I'll never get a reservation." If Universal made the EXACT SAME experience but called it "Hogwarts Great Hall," y'all would do headstands about the "new and innovative experiences that Universal is using to beat Disney at its own game." WWoHP has wild success with butterbeer. Gaston's has wild success with Lafou's Brew. People b*tch and moan that Lafou's is a "ripoff" of butterbeer. If we're going to use that standard then we might as well say every park everywhere sucks because it's basically a ripoff of Disneyland. If Forbidden Journey technology were used at a Disney Park, people would still find a way to complain because of its heavy use of screens, which is sacrilege to the AA fan club.

Sorry. Have to disagree on this one. FLE had the best possible access anyone could ask for utilizing the back access road running from the tunnel entrance to Disney University bus stop. Strike one.
I'm not talking about worker access. I'm talking about construction material and big a** trucks. Yes, you can drive a car or a bus back there but you can't easily get dump trucks and bulldozers. Not to mention parking. Most of the construction workers were/are parking over at the WDI lots way down past the Contemporary.

3rd shift labor is ONLY used when strict project deadlines are approaching.
...or when there are noise and show considerations. Believe me, they did A LOT of work at night, and a lot of it is public knowledge so there's really no argument.

They don't run those spotlights or heavy machinery when there are guests in the park.

Even so...the construction is paid by the construction and development company based on the agreed amount from Disney. I hate to burst your bubble but most construction workers you see are NOT Disney. Imagineers work on site on specialized jobs (mostly having to do with sculpting or painting. Strike two.
I know who works on these projects. There's a general contractor who uses subs to perform the various tasks (masons, architects, painters, etc etc.). That doesn't mean Disney doesn't pay the labor costs. The GC submits a bid that INCLUDES premiums for third shift labor. Also, the agreed upon amount of these contracts is not fixed. After the base contract, they have what's called "change orders" for things that come up along the way that weren't included in the original bid. Disney pays these costs. It's not like they agree "$400M and that's it." No. The scope and estimated costs are fluid and the total contract price changes greatly over the life of construction.

Utilidors? Half of Future World at Epcot is built on top of a utilidor including Spaceship Earth. Strike three.
I didn't say it was impossible to build on a utilitor. I said it's more expensive. There are things that you or I or a guest will never see that need to be done when building in these areas. There are tons of regulations and codes that need to be complied with when building above tunnels. Even if no modifications are required to the structure of the tunnel itself (which they were in FLE), the cost of documenting and proving compliance are tremendous.

The berm? I guess Hogwarts Express between IOA and Universal Studios does not intrude on what could be considered a "virtual" berm? I mean it will be located outside the confides of BOTH parks. (FYI thee have been project proposals in the past that have suggested utilizing portions of land outside the train tracks and "berm." Strike four...if there were a strike four. I think Disney has it much better than Universal in some respects when it comes to expansion.
It's not about the "confines of the park" per se. For the most part, the "berm" is referenced for property tax purposes but the Magic Kingdom also has berm restrictions regarding the water table. I don't know all the ins and outs of that piece so I won't claim to be an expert. And you notice that none of these "project proposals outside the berm" have actually been greenlit.

I understand what you are trying to say but with that logic the Magic Kingdom would be exactly the way it was when it opened in 1971.
I said "expensive and difficult." I did not say "impossible."

JT3000

Dumbo - Repurposed ride

Basically the only reason that WWoHP is perceived to be so superior to New Fantasyland is because Harry Potter is stronger intellectual property than the stuff in FLE.

I couldn't care less about Harry Potter. WWoHP is superior because it's a better product. And no, Seven Dwarves won't be an E-ticket. New Fantasyland lacks an anchor attraction, which is the biggest of several problems.

Funmeister

Dumbo - Repurposed ride

Basically the only reason that WWoHP is perceived to be so superior to New Fantasyland is because Harry Potter is stronger intellectual property than the stuff in FLE. Plus, there's just general negativity about Disney with some of you. When Disney makes "Be Our Guest," the response is "ugh great another overpriced sit down where I'll never get a reservation." If Universal made the EXACT SAME experience but called it "Hogwarts Great Hall," y'all would do headstands about the "new and innovative experiences that Universal is using to beat Disney at its own game." WWoHP has wild success with butterbeer. Gaston's has wild success with Lafou's Brew. People b*tch and moan that Lafou's is a "ripoff" of butterbeer. If we're going to use that standard then we might as well say every park everywhere sucks because it's basically a ripoff of Disneyland. If Forbidden Journey technology were used at a Disney Park, people would still find a way to complain because of its heavy use of screens, which is sacrilege to the AA fan club.

I'm not talking about worker access. I'm talking about construction material and big a** trucks. Yes, you can drive a car or a bus back there but you can't easily get dump trucks and bulldozers. Not to mention parking. Most of the construction workers were/are parking over at the WDI lots way down past the Contemporary.

...or when there are noise and show considerations. Believe me, they did A LOT of work at night, and a lot of it is public knowledge so there's really no argument.

They don't run those spotlights or heavy machinery when there are guests in the park.

I know who works on these projects. There's a general contractor who uses subs to perform the various tasks (masons, architects, painters, etc etc.). That doesn't mean Disney doesn't pay the labor costs. The GC submits a bid that INCLUDES premiums for third shift labor. Also, the agreed upon amount of these contracts is not fixed. After the base contract, they have what's called "change orders" for things that come up along the way that weren't included in the original bid. Disney pays these costs. It's not like they agree "$400M and that's it." No. The scope and estimated costs are fluid and the total contract price changes greatly over the life of construction.

I didn't say it was impossible to build on a utilitor. I said it's more expensive. There are things that you or I or a guest will never see that need to be done when building in these areas. There are tons of regulations and codes that need to be complied with when building above tunnels. Even if no modifications are required to the structure of the tunnel itself (which they were in FLE), the cost of documenting and proving compliance are tremendous.

It's not about the "confines of the park" per se. For the most part, the "berm" is referenced for property tax purposes but the Magic Kingdom also has berm restrictions regarding the water table. I don't know all the ins and outs of that piece so I won't claim to be an expert. And you notice that none of these "project proposals outside the berm" have actually been greenlit.

So based on your reply you agree that a project can be completed no matter where the location (established theme park for arguments sake) generally within a given budget?

Please do not take this the wrong way but please re-read your arguments. They are silly. Can't get dump trucks in the construction site? How did New York City ever grow to the size it is without construction worker parking?

Funmeister

Dumbo - Repurposed ride

Another point...don't play both sides giving the impression that they do all construction work at night. Of course they can't move a giant tree or set up Christmas decorations during park hours. That is totally different than general contractors doing general work all night long. Your argument is two sided when it favors you so stop!

Funmeister

Dumbo - Repurposed ride

Basically the only reason that WWoHP is perceived to be so superior to New Fantasyland is because Harry Potter is stronger intellectual property than the stuff in FLE.

Are you insane? Can you be realistic for just a moment. Think about what you are saying for just a moment. What you said is that Harry Potter has STRONGER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY than combined Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Rapunzel, Cinderella and Mickey Mouse? Do you have any idea how much merchandise Winnie the Pooh generates alone compared to Harry Potter? You have just lost all credibility.

You are taking this way too personal. Let me guess. You love Disney. You have fond memories of Disney. You probably work for Disney and you get a little protective when people give their opinion about a company that has created so many fond memories for you. The fact is this is no longer the Disney you grew up with. Am I hitting a little too close to home? It is ok for people to like other brands. Next time you decide to go on vacation try a National Park or a REAL deluxe resort in Paris (NOT DISNEYLAND!) or New York City. Explore real life and real culture and you will see there is so much more out there than what Disney offers.

I laugh so much when people make comments like "Universal has awoken the sleeping giant (Disney). Some "on here" see it as a war between companies. For just a moment...what would it take for one of them to "win" this war? Putting the other out of business? What does that do for anyone? Now mind you there are people who are Universal fans that hate Disney. 10 times out of 10 the reason why people hate the other company is NOT due to content in the parks, resorts or movies but because they felt they were wronged in some way or another. Disney is going to beat Universal? Universal is going to beat Disney?

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THIS: Disney and Universal are MUCH more concerned about Las Vegas, Europe and other travel destinations more so than who is building the biggest, fastest, coolest attraction in Orlando. Harry Potter helps Disney. New Fantasyland helps Universal.

The same way you are giving reasons why people "on here" are down on Disney are the same reason you are so high on Disney. No one is keeping tally.

afar28

In Potterland, they just rethemed two rides, so the price would be lower.

erasure fan1

I couldn't care less about Harry Potter. WWoHP is superior because it's a better product. And no, Seven Dwarves won't be an E-ticket. New Fantasyland lacks an anchor attraction, which is the biggest of several problems.
One of the other problems is the fact that the new fantasyland opened incomplete. I believe that if it opened with the mine car and everything else, the wow factor would have been a lot better. I know plans changed (and for the better) but because of that it lost impact in my opinion because of the staggered opening.

MotherOfBirds

Here's a crazy thought: How about Disney NOT build things based on pre-existing franchises? I long for the days when they created an original, quality product like PotC or HM or EE. I don't really care if Universal uses movies and franchises because that's their bag. If that's what I'm in the mood for, that's where I'll go.

Sue_Vongello

I'll agree ... I care little about Potter as a franchise and care deeply about BatB and Mermaid but the reality is HP blows new Fantasyland away and it has a lot to do with quality and attractions ...

JT3000

Here's a crazy thought: How about Disney NOT build things based on pre-existing franchises? I long for the days when they created an original, quality product like PotC or HM or EE. I don't really care if Universal uses movies and franchises because that's their bag. If that's what I'm in the mood for, that's where I'll go.

I think people tend to ignore that Disney has always done this though. Just look at the other Fantasyland attractions - most are based on movies. The original attractions are nice, but they weren't what Disneyland was built on, and there was always a large presence of IP attractions at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom