Star Wars survey from Disney

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
There are no rock solid rumors on this yet, but with the Walt Disney World parks blocked from ever putting the Marvel characters to use, it would only make sense that the Studios try to take as much advantage of the Star Wars franchise as they can.

I wouldn't say ever (or never)... They may one day but it won't be any day soon. Also, with the rumor of Disney removing the entrance behind SW... They may have plans to expand that way years down the road. (Let's not get into wetlands though... That's been discussed ad nauseum in other threads lol)

jt04

Rumors or not, it definitely sounds like SOMETHING is brewing at DHS. Too many things going on and it does make sense ($ wise) for Disney to exploit Star Wars now while the purchase is still fresh in fans' minds and with the build up to the new movies. I personally would like to see a dark ride through the SW universe. while it may not be to the liking of thrill seekers, it would allow younger kids and those original SW fans who can't easily handle the virtual ST2 to get immersed in the experience. Plus, dark rides are generally cheaper to build so it may be more up Disney execs ally. It would also be nice to be able to walk through the SW universe to feel like you are in the movies, just like walking through the new FLE puts you into the BatB and LM movies.

I know how they can do this. Should I blue-sky it in the Imagineering section?

Californian Elitist

THe only problem I have with a Marvel/Star Wars 3rd gate is that Marvel overall is not really immersive theming as Star Wars would be. Marvel would just basically be NYC with some rides. I know Marvel can be a little more than that especially with the Villians.

I think they could equally be immersive. Not all of the Marvel superheroes come from New York. Thor comes from Asgard, there's X-Men. Imagine if there was a school for mutants at the park. That would be seriously interesting. Iron Man lives in California... I don't know how that would work. A Hulk section of the park would be nice. Although Captain America come from New York, they could theme his area to an All-American/patriotic theme. There are the villains, plus a whole bunch of other Marvel characters who don't come from New York that the film industries haven't tapped into yet.

bgraham34

I think they could equally be immersive. Not all of the Marvel superheroes come from New York. Thor comes from Asgard, there's X-Men. Imagine if there was a school for mutants at the park. That would be seriously interesting. Iron Man lives in California... I don't know how that would work. A Hulk section of the park would be nice. Although Captain America come from New York, they could theme his area to an All-American/patriotic theme. There are the villains, plus a whole bunch of other Marvel characters who don't come from New York that the film industries haven't tapped into yet.

Basically i am talking overall theming. Like Carsland you know your in Radiator Springs. Star Wars there are tons of ways to immediately know you are there. Then you have Harry Potter you are immersed immediately as well. Then you have Marvel most people except for Comic Book Geeks are not going to know where you are. I would love to walk in Asgard but overall you are not going to be like oh wow this is Marvel land. Personally I just dont want to see a generic location. Marvel can be thrown into DCA without much of an Issue. Build NYC and have Captain America, Spiderman, Fantastic Four,

Californian Elitist

Basically i am talking overall theming. Like Carsland you know your in Radiator Springs. Star Wars there are tons of ways to immediately know you are there. Then you have Harry Potter you are immersed immediately as well. Then you have Marvel most people except for Comic Book Geeks are not going to know where you are. I would love to walk in Asgard but overall you are not going to be like oh wow this is Marvel land. Personally I just dont want to see a generic location. Marvel can be thrown into DCA without much of an Issue. Build NYC and have Captain America, Spiderman, Fantastic Four,

On MiceChat we were talking about how Captain America could fit into Condor Flats at DCA. Other than that, Marvel doesn't fit in DCA. You can't build New York in a theme park based on California. The Iron Man/Stark Expo theme fits Tomorrowland well. Other than those two, Marvel would need to be put into a third theme park.

I'm sure a lot of people have never heard of Radiator Springs. If the third gate is Marvel-themed, I'm sure the title of the park would have some sort of Marvel connection in it. I don't think people care about knowing where they are... There are maps for that. People care about having fun.

djlaosc

Marvel can be thrown into DCA without much of an Issue. Build NYC and have Captain America, Spiderman, Fantastic Four,

But isn't DCA supposed to be based on California? NYC is not in California

Now, I am not familiar with Marvel (although I have just got the Marvel Universe DVDs), but unless any of the Marvel characters are from California (and even then, it would be a bit of a stretch to have a land based on the film), then surely Marvel would have to be an extension of Hollywoodland? (is there still land available behind Tower of Terror (I'm not familiar with DCA either - roll on 2018 - and am only looking at Google Maps) It wouldn't be the greatest fit, although I hear that Hollywoodland is still a bit of a mess, but it could fit there.

bgraham34

But isn't DCA supposed to be based on California? NYC is not in California

Radiator Springs if I am not mistaken does not take place in Cali, only the big race does at the end of the film. My thinking is theming NYC back during the 30's or 40's which Captain America would be made to fit in.

baymenxpac

I happen to be looking at an R2D2 cup in my office right now from SWW. No lightsaber bucket, but that's ok, it just sounds dangerous.

kind of an awesome (probably unintended) pun.

anyway, we can hem and haw about the specifics, but the fact of the matter is this: if DHS adds a star wars land, it probably overtakes EPCOT in attendance within a year or two of its opening. it'd be a game changer for the studios; one that it's desperately in need of.

Obi

I want it to be a recreation of Mos Eisley with a full scale cantina. Also a full scale walkthrough replica of the Millennium Falcon. If this happened I would be soo happy.

the millennium flacon walk-through would be cool... however, they have to add a game where you fight off the tie-fighters like luke and han did in the original star wars movie. have it set up just like in the movie, moveable chairs, with a gunner getting to shoot down tie fighters...

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member

anyway, we can hem and haw about the specifics, but the fact of the matter is this: if DHS adds a star wars land, it probably overtakes EPCOT in attendance within a year or two of its opening. it'd be a game changer for the studios; one that it's desperately in need of.
I wish i was that whitty, but it was unintentional. Good catch though!

Taylor

Which means Epcot will need a new addition then too;)

MaxsDad

As much as I love Star Wars, I have no desire for Disney to create an entire "land" based solely upon something it had no hand in imagining or creating. Between Potter at Uni, and Avatar along with this rumor for WDW...the Central Fla theme parks are taking on a new genre of: "Look what we bought!".

I wanna see some original source material poured into the parks. There are more than enough windows of opportunity for this. (Personally I've always wanted a major Lion King E-ticket of sorts for DAK). Rather than buying up all the cool things out there, and implementing them into the parks as new lands.

No problem with the Star Tours attraction. It is great. But as far as an entire land goes...let's see some more legit Disney. Just my two cents.

Bob,

It is a good point. Funny thing, though. Around the WDW fanbase in general, Disney has been getting blasted for years for doing just that. It has been referred to the Pixarization of the parks. It is pretty obvious that the Disney/Pixar film's quality has far outpaced the Disney/Non-Pixar film's quality over the comparable time period, but yet people some how get fired up if Disney uses one of these properties in a way they personally do not see as fitting. Oh well, it's hard to please everyone.

People are fickle. But us WDW fans, due to the strength of our emotional connections to the resort, take it to another level.

ExtinctJenn

Forgive me for not reading every post on pages 2-4 before skipping to 5 but was there ever an answer on whether this survey was an in-park (Disney Research folks) survey or something sent out? I, like others, have a hard time believing it because usually the surveys Disney does/sends aren't quite that specific and are more general questions that they use to gauge interest in certain topics.

dupac

Forgive me for not reading every post on pages 2-4 before skipping to 5 but was there ever an answer on whether this survey was an in-park (Disney Research folks) survey or something sent out? I, like others, have a hard time believing it because usually the surveys Disney does/sends aren't quite that specific and are more general questions that they use to gauge interest in certain topics.

I believe this was a survey sent to the OP, not answered in-park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom