Star Wars survey from Disney

Magenta Panther

As much as I love Star Wars, I have no desire for Disney to create an entire "land" based solely upon something it had no hand in imagining or creating. Between Potter at Uni, and Avatar along with this rumor for WDW...the Central Fla theme parks are taking on a new genre of: "Look what we bought!".

I wanna see some original source material poured into the parks. There are more than enough windows of opportunity for this. (Personally I've always wanted a major Lion King E-ticket of sorts for DAK). Rather than buying up all the cool things out there, and implementing them into the parks as new lands.

No problem with the Star Tours attraction. It is great. But as far as an entire land goes...let's see some more legit Disney. Just my two cents.

THIS!!!!

Magenta Panther

For me, as long as the attraction/land is well done I don't care where the IP came from. There are plenty of examples of both Disney and Universal creating fantastic attractions from IP they didn't own. And the bottom line is, the general public doesn't care and probably doesn't even have a clue who owns what IP, a great attraction is a great attraction.

Then it doesn't matter to you whether or not you visit WDW or Universal, yes? Just depends on what kind of rides they build, correct? I understand your position, but it seems to me that the idea that guests don't care about where IPs come from indicates that said guests aren't into brand loyalty much. Which is NOT a good thing for Disney. Ironically, the jibes that WDW1974 makes about fanbois and fairy dust are actually true. People visit Disney parks primarily because they love Disney - at least, they love the fairy-dusted legacy that was primarily built in Walt's time. But if it's true that any given park's appeal is based mainly on its rides, then, by that criteria, Universal is coming very close to eating Disney's lunch. For my part, as much as I love Disney (Walt's Disney, anyway), if I ever walk into a Disney park and I see an overwhelming hodgepodge of non-Disney-created/adapted attractions and just a little Disney, then that park will no longer be a must-see for me. Because then, the Disney magic will be gone. I'd just as soon hang out at Islands of Adventure. :(

FigmentJedi

I'm kind of annoyed about Disney basically shutting down almost everything going on with the franchise right now in the name of pimping the new trilogy. Clone Wars Season 6 is in some vague limbo state as stuff has been finished but DIsney doesn't feel like airing it (though on the upside, Detours might be dead), Star Wars 1313 is in some uncertain stage as Disney doesn't care about consoles anymore, Dark Horse is losing the Star Wars stuff as it goes back home to Marvel, and there's the panic everywhere of course of exactly what the new trilogy is going to change in the post-ROTJ Expanded Universe

stevehousse

Love a full blown Star Wars land! If u look at google maps an check out that section of the park, taking out Indiana jones show, there is a ton of room for the restaurant, and at least 2 rides! Also look back where the "parade floats" are kept, that is a great location for a roller coaster, ala speeder bike style! I welcome this for sure if it happens!

On a side note, last I heard, Clone Wars will be shown on DisneyXD, not the regular channel...

twebber55

Then it doesn't matter to you whether or not you visit WDW or Universal, yes? Just depends on what kind of rides they build, correct? I understand your position, but it seems to me that the idea that guests don't care about where IPs come from indicates that said guests aren't into brand loyalty much. Which is NOT a good thing for Disney. Ironically, the jibes that WDW1974 makes about fanbois and fairy dust are actually true. People visit Disney parks primarily because they love Disney - at least, they love the fairy-dusted legacy that was primarily built in Walt's time. But if it's true that any given park's appeal is based mainly on its rides, then, by that criteria, Universal is coming very close to eating Disney's lunch. For my part, as much as I love Disney (Walt's Disney, anyway), if I ever walk into a Disney park and I see an overwhelming hodgepodge of non-Disney-created/adapted attractions and just a little Disney, then that park will no longer be a must-see for me. Because then, the Disney magic will be gone. I'd just as soon hang out at Islands of Adventure. :(
Brands really dont matter to me.... to me cars land is not great because of the movie cars... its because of the immersion the land puts you in and a great E ticket... im not a fan of the simpsons at universal but i think the ride is good... the mummy is a decent brand but the mummy ride is one of my favorite.. never really watched twilight zone but i love TOT

ParentsOf4

Universal is coming close to surpassing WDW both in terms of attractions and quality. In the last few years, Universal has stepped up its game, adding some really outstanding attractions and improving its overall theme park experience. The Universal of 2013 is not the Universal of 2008. Yet WDW has 3 things Universal cannot match:
  • Grandeur - WDW's expansive acreage, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, shopping district, golfing & other activities, and nearly 2 dozen hotels make is a complete vacation destination.
  • Magic Kingdom - There simply is no theme park as good as MK. In fact, it's so good, even the Disney folks in Orlando have been unable to match it in over 40 years.
  • Pixie Dust - Shape an ordinary ice cream bar like Mickey Ears and suddenly people think it's the best ice cream bar ever. Disney's loyal fan base is perhaps WDW's most valuable asset.
With that acknowledged, the folks running WDW are in the business of making money. They recognize Universal is taking away market share. Universal's (and DLR's) business is growing while WDW is faltering. Business people running mega-corporations don't like not being bested by the competition. A well-executed Star Wars Land is their chance to take away a lot of the Harry Potter thunder, to regain the limelight and, most importantly, to drive new revenue.

Adding new attractions at theme parks is both expensive and risky. Star Wars Land represents the closest thing WDW will likely ever see as a guaranteed winner. Could they mess it up? Sure but they don't think that way. They think, "What's the next thing I can do to improve profits (and my bonus)?" Star Wars Land is it.

NewfieFan

how did you get this survey? in the parks?

I was asked in Dec. if I would take a survey at home about my experience at the Walt Disney World Resort. I've been asked this many times, and I usually get the standard survey with the standard questions.

The survey was from Disneyland and even the title when it asked if I would fill it out suggested it would be about Disneyland. I assumed it would be a survey asking me about my chances of ever visiting DL in the future. There wasn't one mention of DL in this survey, it was specifically about WDW and Star Wars in WDW. I actually enjoyed filling it out, even though it got painfully long after awhile. I can't see the casual guest even getting through the survey. The only reason I completed it was because I really wanted my say in this and for Disney to know my opinion.

Sorry if there is another thread. I did a search and didn't come up with anything. But figured this was one thread that belonged in "Rumors". The questions were very specific about a Stars Wars presence in WDW.

NewfieFan

I wished I had taken some photos of the questions and/or copied them done. My husband was practically doing the survey for me and was pretty much drooling over the thought as he filled it out.

One question I found quite interesting was; Would you rather: Three lands with one ride each or two lands with 2 rides each? I picked the first one. Even though the second option gives us more rides, I figured Disney had a better chance of doing three rides well than four rides. I worry that the 2nd ride in the land would be an after-thought. Plus, I figured more lands might lead to more themed environments and possible more experiences (even if they aren't rides).

What would you have chosen and why?

FettFan

As much as I love Star Wars, I have no desire for Disney to create an entire "land" based solely upon something it had no hand in imagining or creating. Between Potter at Uni, and Avatar along with this rumor for WDW...the Central Fla theme parks are taking on a new genre of: "Look what we bought!".

I wanna see some original source material poured into the parks. There are more than enough windows of opportunity for this. (Personally I've always wanted a major Lion King E-ticket of sorts for DAK). Rather than buying up all the cool things out there, and implementing them into the parks as new lands.

No problem with the Star Tours attraction. It is great. But as far as an entire land goes...let's see some more legit Disney. Just my two cents.

How about Roger Rabbit's Toontown?

I know that Eisner wanted to build it back in the 90s, but it wound up on the cutting room floor due to budget concerns and a supposed dispute over the rights with Amblin entertainment (though it didn't stop RR's Car Toon Spin at DL and TDL).
And Roger is supposedly getting a sequel....at least according to Robert Zemeckis last November.
(MI: Ghost Protocol's Paula Patton is said to be cast as the villain Witch Boom)

Thrill Seeker

Universal is coming close to surpassing WDW both in terms of attractions and quality. In the last few years, Universal has stepped up its game, adding some really outstanding attractions and improving its overall theme park experience. The Universal of 2013 is not the Universal of 2008. Yet WDW has 3 things Universal cannot match:
  • Grandeur - WDW's expansive acreage, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, shopping district, golfing & other activities, and nearly 2 dozen hotels make is a complete vacation destination.
  • Magic Kingdom - There simply is no theme park as good as MK. In fact, it's so good, even the Disney folks in Orlando have been unable to match it in over 40 years.
  • Pixie Dust - Shape an ordinary ice cream bar like Mickey Ears and suddenly people think it's the best ice cream bar ever. Disney's loyal fan base is perhaps WDW's most valuable asset.
With that acknowledged, the folks running WDW are in the business of making money. They recognize Universal is taking away market share. Universal's (and DLR's) business is growing while WDW is faltering. Business people running mega-corporations don't like not being bested by the competition. A well-executed Star Wars Land is their chance to take away a lot of the Harry Potter thunder, to regain the limelight and, most importantly, to drive new revenue.

Adding new attractions at theme parks is both expensive and risky. Star Wars Land represents the closest thing WDW will likely ever see as a guaranteed winner. Could they mess it up? Sure but they don't think that way. They think, "What's the next thing I can do to improve profits (and my bonus)?" Star Wars Land is it.

Points 1 & 3 I agree with. Many can argue that MK is overrated. It's classic, sure, and has many great attractions, but it has it's share of weaknesses. Again, all of these are debatable.

#1. Wishes is Overrated. There, I said it. The music is sappy and the presentation is outmatched by all other MK style parks fireworks shows. Heck, I like Universal's Cinematic Spectacular better...

#2. Many weak attractions. Stitch's Great Escape is the worst attraction on property, yet it's still there. Tomorrowland Speedway is old and out of place. Country Bear Jamboree, Carousel of Progress, Enchanted Tiki Room and Hall of Presidents are classic to some, unwatchable to others. Do we really need four spinners in one park? Jungle Cruise is dated and cheesy to some. I don't agree with all of these statements, but that doesn't make them less true.

#3. Nothing really thrilling. MK is a family park, but it's 3 thrill rides try to appeal to teens/adults. Granted, I do enjoy all three mountains, but they aren't exactly that thrilling. Universal is better at making thrill rides than Disney.

#4. Upkeep. We've seen how bad MK attractions can get. Because of the sometimes crazy hours MK is open, it's attractions aren't kept up to the high standards you expect from Disney. Granted, this is a property wide issue, but specifically MK is particularly noticable.

# 5. New Fantasyland is no Harry Potter. Disney wanted to capture some of the magic Universal put into it's blockbuster land at IoA with New Fantasyland and instead built a new section of an old land that looks nice, but simply includes a re-theme of an old land, a nice restaurant, a glorified meet and greet and an omnimover. Nothing groundbreaking here. I just hope the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is good.

I'm not trying to rip Disney a new one, even if it seems that way, but despite MK being the most popular theme park in the world, calling it the best may be a bit of a stretch.

bgraham34

On MiceChat, we're talking about a third gate with the combination of Star Wars and Marvel. Now THAT would be interesting, albeit a little odd too.

THe only problem I have with a Marvel/Star Wars 3rd gate is that Marvel overall is not really immersive theming as Star Wars would be. Marvel would just basically be NYC with some rides. I know Marvel can be a little more than that especially with the Villians.

dupac

For the sake of transparency though...it's Tulsa. ANYTHING is a compelling reason to leave.
Yes. Come to OKC. Much nicer ;)

Think the DL angle is the most interesting part of this information... I agree that SW doesn't fit in either park, so what's up?

JLipnick

Rumors or not, it definitely sounds like SOMETHING is brewing at DHS. Too many things going on and it does make sense ($ wise) for Disney to exploit Star Wars now while the purchase is still fresh in fans' minds and with the build up to the new movies. I personally would like to see a dark ride through the SW universe. while it may not be to the liking of thrill seekers, it would allow younger kids and those original SW fans who can't easily handle the virtual ST2 to get immersed in the experience. Plus, dark rides are generally cheaper to build so it may be more up Disney execs ally. It would also be nice to be able to walk through the SW universe to feel like you are in the movies, just like walking through the new FLE puts you into the BatB and LM movies.

jt04

When they build Star Wars Land on Disneyland's 3rd theme park plot, try and avoid LAX, it's a horrible airport.

Try to fly into John Wayne as your first choice; it's a 15 minute cab ride from Disneyland. Long Beach Airport is your second choice; a fab new terminal and a 25 minute ride from Disneyland. LAX should be your last choice, just after riding steerage in a wagon train across the desert. :cool:

I haven't gotten one of these surveys myself, but the West Coast boards have exploded this week because they have been sending them out to Disneyland AP's in Southern California. The plot thickens....

They can't build Star Wars Land at DL until California finishes its super HSR to handle the crowds. So.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom