Star Wars survey from Disney

KatMaria

They are probably just seeing what kind of response Star Wars expanded area would get. I hope this would happen, Star Wars is my favorite but who knows if it will truly happen. The buying of Lucasfilm is very intriguing though, the possibilities!

Bob Saget

As much as I love Star Wars, I have no desire for Disney to create an entire "land" based solely upon something it had no hand in imagining or creating. Between Potter at Uni, and Avatar along with this rumor for WDW...the Central Fla theme parks are taking on a new genre of: "Look what we bought!".

I wanna see some original source material poured into the parks. There are more than enough windows of opportunity for this. (Personally I've always wanted a major Lion King E-ticket of sorts for DAK). Rather than buying up all the cool things out there, and implementing them into the parks as new lands.

No problem with the Star Tours attraction. It is great. But as far as an entire land goes...let's see some more legit Disney. Just my two cents.

ParentsOf4

A Star War Land is so shockingly obvious I can't imagine even Iger (who genuinely seems to misunderstand P&R) not moving forward on it. A well-executed Star War Land really is the Potter Swatter WDW has been dreaming about for years.

I'm hopeful but not optimistic. Iger loves his movies and his acquisitions. The theme parks are an afterthought. WDW's best chance is for Iger to feel the need to pop that pimple on his otherwise illustrious career and leave a legacy. So far, Iger's only WDW legacies are skyrocketing ticket prices and a mediocre land expansion. To move forward on Star Wars Land, Iger has to recognize Avatarland or NextGen are not that crowning legacy. Or maybe he simply needs to realize that Star War Land is the closest thing he'll ever get to a sure thing at WDW. Star Wars Weekends are immensely popular with only a single attraction. What more encouragement does Iger need?

Thrill Seeker

The possibility is tempting. The rumor is it being built on the plot currently occupied by the parade building and Backlot Express restaurant. Looking at that plot, it's possible. The main difficulty would be hiding the Star Tours show building and re-routing backstage roads. Is it doable? Absolutely! The question is, if Disney pulls the trigger on this, what would be included?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As much as I love Star Wars, I have no desire for Disney to create an entire "land" based solely upon something it had no hand in imagining or creating. Between Potter at Uni, and Avatar along with this rumor for WDW...the Central Fla theme parks are taking on a new genre of: "Look what we bought!".

I wanna see some original source material poured into the parks. There are more than enough windows of opportunity for this. (Personally I've always wanted a major Lion King E-ticket of sorts for DAK). Rather than buying up all the cool things out there, and implementing them into the parks as new lands.

No problem with the Star Tours attraction. It is great. But as far as an entire land goes...let's see some more legit Disney. Just my two cents.

For me, as long as the attraction/land is well done I don't care where the IP came from. There are plenty of examples of both Disney and Universal creating fantastic attractions from IP they didn't own. And the bottom line is, the general public doesn't care and probably doesn't even have a clue who owns what IP, a great attraction is a great attraction.

NewfieFan

Did anyone else get the survey? It was intense and all about Star Wars and potential lands and rides, characters, (you name it, they asked a question on it). It was very detailed and long. As well, it included the opinion of one of our children. The questions were surprisingly detailed and not vague (like many Disney surveys). There were a few long answer questions too, where you could write what you want (again, very non-Disney survey like) and they gave you plenty of space.

For our family (my hubby & son) the survey had them that excited they could barely read the questions.

Could it be? Is Disney actually entertaining more Stars Wars in Disney World? New lands, new rides, etc.?

Genie of the Lamp

Well I saw this on Screamscape 2 days ago so you may be onto something, but treat as a rumor nonetheless:

For months we’ve heard rumors that Disneyland Paris was looking into building a mini Star Wars Land project as a spin-off of their Star Tours ride (still running Version 1 by the way…) inside Discoveryland. I had also heard some early rumors claiming that a similar plan may have been talked about for Hong Kong Disneyland as well, though now it seems that they will move ahead with a Marvel themed land instead.
With Disney’s Hollywood Studios being the center of the Star Wars Fan Universe for about a month each and every year during the annual Star Wars Weekends events, it would only make sense if Disney were to try and expand their Star Wars themed offerings, wouldn’t you think? The problem as always been space… as the Studios park was not really designed with huge expansion capability in mind, beyond Sunset Blvd, and really was pigeonholed into a corner by nature of its location between World Drive and Buena Vista Drive. The oddly placed parking toll road to the south and a really strange parking lot layout intended to serve both a portion of the Cast Members and Guests as well was just the icing on the cake.
Without expansion being options being mostly off the table, the only way to expand the Star Wars offerings of the Studios would really seem to be to start making some dramatic changes inside the park’s boundaries. MuppetVision and the themed New York streets are located just behind Star Tours and to the right side of Star Tours, while to the left side is the large Backlot Express restaurant and then the Indiana Jones Show area. So it is pretty landlocked unless Disney is willing to star removing something to make room.
In today’s news entry up above regarding the closure of the park’s big parade, there is also a rumor that the Parade Float building may also be removed to make room for a new future project. The parade building in question is located, I believe, essentially right behind the Backlot Express restaurant. This is only an ‘IF’ right now, but IF they were to remove the Backlot Express and clear out the property all the way from there back to the Parade Float building, that would open up a fairly large space where they could possibly build a new Star Wars themed mini-land that could include the often rumored Star Wars Cantina restaurant project proposed for Paris.
There are no rock solid rumors on this yet, but with the Walt Disney World parks blocked from ever putting the Marvel characters to use, it would only make sense that the Studios try to take as much advantage of the Star Wars franchise as they can. And who knows… if they really have some big ideas for a major new attraction as well, there is always a ton of extra space they could work with if they closed down the Indiana Jones stunt show as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom