Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Movielover

Goodbye to clever attractions that leave the guest to weave their own narrative,

?

Attractions have always had you view a specific narrative. everything from the Jungle Cruise to The Original Fantasyland Dark Rides was a specific Narrative. About the only attractions that did not are the attractions like SFR Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island, but even then they have specific settings and points of interest that tell their story.

How is Gringotts, a ride where we board a moving vehicle to escape from a cave like setting infused with magical elements and giant creatures while occasionally stopping to view a character from the movie any different from Indiana Jones Adventure, a ride where we board a moving vehicle to escape from a cave like setting infused with magical elements and giant creatures while occasionally stopping to view a character from the movie.

Both are fantastic attractions, they both have the same narrative and go about telling that narrative in their own ways.

Sure everyone may experience a different emotion on a ride, but 99% of the attractions ever produce have told a specific narrative that the rider experiences.

Steph15251

?

Attractions have always had you view a specific narrative. everything from the Jungle Cruise to The Original Fantasyland Dark Rides was a specific Narrative. About the only attractions that did not are the attractions like SFR Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island, but even then they have specific settings and points of interest that tell their story.

How is Gringotts, a ride where we board a moving vehicle to escape from a cave like setting infused with magical elements and giant creatures while occasionally stopping to view a character from the movie any different from Indiana Jones Adventure, a ride where we board a moving vehicle to escape from a cave like setting infused with magical elements and giant creatures while occasionally stopping to view a character from the movie.

Both are fantastic attractions, they both have the same narrative and go about telling that narrative in their own ways.

Sure everyone may experience a different emotion on a ride, but 99% of the attractions ever produce have told a specific narrative that the rider experiences.
Yup I feel everything is subjective

Mickeyboof

?

It’s cute to compare Indiana Jones to Gringotts, but Gringotts doesn’t occasionally stop.

That’s all it does is stop. There is more stopping than moving.

Indiana Jones leaves more than not to the imagination. In the middle of Jones, the ride vehicle doesn’t stop so we can be talked at.

Also, yeah all rides follow a narrative. But I’m speaking about the spectrum. You choose to polarize my comments, that’s fine. But there is a spectrum. It’s not yes or no, A or B.

Loose Narrative (Mark Twain, Treehouse, Paris Walkthrough attractions), Minor Narrative (such as Haunted, Pirates, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, Space Mountain) all the way to Forced Narrative which is Gringotts and Falcon, where we are being talked at the entire time.

I don’t really liked being talked at during an experience. Unless it’s Jungle River Cruise, but even that ride has such immense repeatability because of its vintage style of showmanship.

I guess Hagrid’s is a talked at attraction too, but I was too engrossed and enthralled to mind. The ride was just that imaginative!

Mickeyboof

My hunch is that Rise of the Resistance will be so story focused and forced with narrative that it will disregard the guest’s incredible imaginations and instead talk to us then thank us for our service to the Resistance.

Steph15251

My hunch is that Rise of the Resistance will be so story focused and forced with narrative that it will disregard the guest’s incredible imaginations and instead talk to us then thank us for our service to the Resistance.
Maybe but if ROTR is what they say it is,I think it would be a great ride and I am happy it is not a roller coaster since my twin only goes on a few type of roller coasters.

Movielover

In the middle of Jones, the ride vehicle doesn’t stop so we can be talked at.

Except for the part where you vehicle stops and Indy talks to you...

:rolleyes:

Mickeyboof

Except for the part where you vehicle stops and Indy talks to you...

View attachment 413051

:rolleyes:

Oh yeah I hate that massive practical effect that physically puts the guests directly in a thrilling moment!

The ride is stopping to build suspense.

Gringotts stops to tell us CGI trolls are coming or “I’ll levitate you to the next show scene!

(I’m beginning to sense you don’t understand there is a range here. Oh well!)

Movielover

Oh yeah I hate that massive practical effect that physically puts the guests directly in a thrilling moment!

The ride is stopping to build suspense.

Gringotts stops to tell us CGI trolls are coming or “I’ll levitate you to the next show scene!

I am very sorry that you can't see the magic and excitement in both fantastic rides. You have my pity! :happy:

Steph15251

I’m trying to recall whether I’ve ever seen someone respond to a “this ride/land/park is obviously way better than that ride/land/park“ debate with: “Wow. You know, you’re right! You‘ve completely convinced me and now I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion!”
That is because it is all subjective and no one is right or wrong

Rich Brownn

Is it though? Let's break them down:

Disney's website lists 8 shops, 5 food locations, and 2 attractions for Galaxy's Edge. Shows: none, buuut the park itself has three major Star Wars shows, though I agree that Galaxy's Edge needs some too.

Universal's website lists 13 shops, 5 food locations, and 2-ish attractions for Diagon Alley (I say ish because Hogwarts Express is not exclusive to Diagon). There are three shows: Olivander's, and two live performances.

So Galaxy's Edge has (currently) no entertainment and could use a free experience like Olivander's, but it also has two E-tickets vs. Diagon's one. Diagon has significantly more shops. To me they are pretty close and I'm willing to bet entertainment will be added to Galaxy's Edge, evening them out further.
Is it though? Let's break them down:

Disney's website lists 8 shops, 5 food locations, and 2 attractions for Galaxy's Edge. Shows: none, buuut the park itself has three major Star Wars shows, though I agree that Galaxy's Edge needs some too.

Universal's website lists 13 shops, 5 food locations, and 2-ish attractions for Diagon Alley (I say ish because Hogwarts Express is not exclusive to Diagon). There are three shows: Olivander's, and two live performances.

So Galaxy's Edge has (currently) no entertainment and could use a free experience like Olivander's, but it also has two E-tickets vs. Diagon's one. Diagon has significantly more shops. To me they are pretty close and I'm willing to bet entertainment will be added to Galaxy's Edge, evening them out further.
If you consider MFSM an E-Ticket your bias is out of control. I can't even bother to take your posts seriously anymore so...

Tom Morrow

If you consider MFSM an E-Ticket your bias is out of control. I can't even bother to take your posts seriously anymore so...
It's technically an E ticket, just not a good one. "E ticket", in it's original use, did not refer to the quality of the ride but moreso the scope. Disney wasn't saying "A ticket rides are total garbage!" If we want to get nitpicky then maybe MFSR a D. I could also easily reverse the argument and say your argument is invalid because you don't consider it an E-ticket. But let's be real here, you didn't like that I used facts to show how the lands are very closely equal, or that Potter is actually more shopping-focused than Galaxy's Edge, so you knee-jerk replied with this retort.

Heck, it wasn't that long ago, I remember criticisms of Diagon from day one of having "one ride" and being heavily shopping focused, or how you have to pay money to do the interactive elements, but since now there's a new thing to hate, suddenly Diagon is a wondrous playground of endless attractions and experiences I guess.

Last edited:

Disneyfanman

I’m really hoping that ROTR can live up to expectations, but at this point is that even possible? My greatest worry, I guess, is that the designers are so entranced with the tech that they have not make the experience exciting. That it will be all about showing off the new toys. I hope that isn’t the case and that this will be an exceptional experience that can change the narrative about GE.

It’s weird to think about, but I am more excited about MMRR than ROTR. I wonder how many people are feeling that way? What does that say about the damage that Disney has done with GE so far?

doctornick

Fair point. I think people are also so conditioned to area music, especially at a Disney park, it takes some getting used to.

I'm skeptical. I think the vast majority of guests never notice background music except perhaps subconsciously. Superfans on here may comment about it a lot but this is not the norm.

I'm sure that there are some/many that expected to specifically hear the SW theme and don't and, thus, are disappointed. But this is a little separate from simply expecting some sort of music in general (as opposed to ambient sounds).

Last edited:

doctornick

I just cannot believe that Galaxy’s Edge got that stupid datapad app were you can read what is inside a dumb crate, when in the Magic Kingdom there is a literal treasure hunt with magic tricks, moving parts, and environment altering scenes. Come. On.

Doesn't the data pad game "do things"? I was under the impression that there is some movement of objects in the physical world, not just the virtual response on your phone. If not, I would agree that having some physical elements would be warranted.

Last edited:

doctornick

Can you imagine the outcry if ROTR opened with that kind of downtime? The pitchforks would be out. No sense in rushing what seems to be the most complicated theme park attraction ever created.

But when you are 2nd fiddle in the market, you are given much more leeway.

Eh. It's also true that Hogsmede already features arguable the best ride that Uni has ever created. So, it's a nice consultation prize for anyone who can't ride Hagrids. Perhaps if SR was better received and/or there were a third attraction, you'd have less pressure on RotR.

doctornick

When I'm in WWoHP and hearing the same small selection of very familiar themes from the films for the umpteenth time that day, I wish there was no music. Playing the movie scores is NOT immersion, it's just a constant reminder of the fact that the movies exist. I would like to see more ambient noise in SWGE and some original ambient music here and there but the last thing I want is the familiar themes blasting endlessly.

This is me too. I admittedly don't even notice background music much when i'm walking around a land, but WWOHP the music seems so constant that I cannot help but notice it and it kinda bugs me. I mean, I do certainly enjoy both lands, but I've always tended to feel like the playing of the music on the rides is appropriate and sufficient and it seems out of place while walking around in the land. YMMV.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom