Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

mikejs78

Premium Member
Except the land is now open and is no longer theoretical or left up to our imaginations. What they built is a dull, lifeless, abandoned movie set that has failed to resonate with the public and drive excited FOMO on either either coast.

If it was amazing, exciting, and blew people away anybody saying it wasn't would be laughed off the boards, YouTube, social media, watercoolers, etc. Go on a Hagrid's board and say the ride is dull and no fun. You'll be ignored because it's ridiculous.

I also enjoy reading everybody's dreams of a much better, future SWGE that exists only in their imagination as a curious counterpoint to a discussion of what they actually built.

So why exactly with the reaction being so tepid on both coasts and only one ride open are they not adding entertainment now? Why would they be waiting for ROTR to open to add entertainment while the lifeless land is experienced by millions of more people that then go out and share their disappointed experience to others? Explain that to me.

There are three major "attractions" they are selling - Batuu, MFSR, and ROTR. I am hoping that ROTR is amazing, but that will not magically correct the countless terrible creative decisions that plague the other two.

IMHO.
🙄

socalkdg

It does need more. It needs ROTR. Add that, and if it is as good as Pirates or HM, then you have a great land. I spent 3 hours there with my two teenage daughter. More time then we spend at Carsland. It is as good as Carsland. Just missing an E+ ticket ride. Now if they manage to screw up the ride, then we can talk.

RobWDW1971

Completely disagree with the narrative of ‘dull and lifeless’. What other land at any of the Disney parks (stateside) has this much detail and cast member “in world”? Hint: NONE OF THEM.

New Orleans Square, Cars Land, Harambe, Pandora, most of World Showcase, etc. are all more alive, energized, and entertaining. Not to mention the far superior two Harry Potter lands that make SWGE look like the dull, depressing land it is.

If you are asking which other land has the fundamentally terrible creative choice to have union food & beverage and merch cast members practice their cringe-worthy improv skills saying "Bright Suns" and "May the Spires keep you", well, you are correct, none of them. Thank God.

(Note: Little old Knotts Berry Farm's Ghost Town has an entire "immersive" cast of characters that roam the streets and put the guests into a day long old west story. It can be done well when you use actual trained actors and make the right creative choices.)

Last edited:

KevinPage

New Orleans Square, Cars Land, Harambe, Pandora, most of World Showcase, etc. are all more alive, energized, and entertaining. Not to mention the far superior two Harry Potter lands that make SWGE look like the dull, depressing land it is.

If you are asking which other land has the fundamentally terrible creative choice to have union food & beverage and merch cast members practice their cringe-worthy improv skills saying "Bright Suns" and "May the Spires keep you", well, you are correct, none of them. Thank God.

So is the live entertainment aspect the ‘make or break’ point for you? Pandora has a guy in a mech suit and no musical score, just sounds affects. SWGE has a couple of Stormtroopers, Kylo Ren, Chewie and Rey. Far bigger footprint so maybe it feels like less. Harambe has musicans playing, otherwise it’s just a highly themed marketplace to a real world area.

The “Battuuians” and the catch phrases can be a little over the top/bit much at times, no doubt. 😎

Again I chalk this up to Disney not fulfilling a promise so people are latching onto a narrative to drive their “piling on” point home. If they never promised a stunt show and roaming characters/droids, expectations would be different.

Mickeyboof

So is the live entertainment aspect the ‘make or break’ point for you? Pandora has a guy in a mech suit and no musical score, just sounds affects. SWGE has a couple of Stormtroopers, Kylo Ren, Chewie and Rey. Far bigger footprint so maybe it feels like less. Harambe has musicans playing, otherwise it’s just a highly themed marketplace to a real world area.

The “Battuuians” and the catch phrases can be a little over the top/bit much at times, no doubt. 😎

Again I chalk this up to Disney not fulfilling a promise so people are latching onto a narrative to drive their “piling on” point home. If they never promised a stunt show and roaming characters/droids, expectations would be different.

Pandora has no musical score?

Pandora has “natural” beauty. It is incredibly kinetic with interactive elements (like the little snail creatures which spray you when you frighten them!). Waterfalls and amazing music. The drum show, don’t forget, rocks the place! And the drums are still on all day to play with.

And don’t forget the smell of perfectly crisp meats in the air!

:D

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It was brought to my attention the existence of an article confirming what I've said previously about the change in direction for Galaxy's Edge occurred after TFA. I think you'll enjoy the irony of GE being adjusted based on the success of TFA, but then tailored around the post TLJ storyline (as developed by Rian Johnson and the Lucasfilm Story Group).

https://www.piratesandprincesses.ne...based-on-original-trilogy-imagineer-confirms/

Apologies for this being an older article. I just was made aware of it.

Iger took the blame for Solo. And here he can take the blame for Batuu.

Thank godness that means Kathleen Kennedy's job is still safe!

Mickeyboof

Another thing I forgot to mention in one of my previous posts (about this weird obsession with the land having to be OT)...WE ALL KNEW THIS WAS A NEW PLANET for at least a year or so.

I barely heard anyone saying “mistake”, “needs to be OT”, “needs area music” when all of this was announced. Everyone was excited over the prospects. Then TDA messed up the marketing, opened early to get a double bounce of people with the B attraction only, and suddenly, because it wasn’t packed to the gills (which we are all happy about since we can, ya know, ENJOY IT), it becomes the “IT THING” to do and create this false narrative about being a failure and here’s why & “look how smart I am by pointing it out”.

EVERY THEME PARK IN ORLANDO has had down attendance this summer. Call it the perfect storm of price hikes, concerns about the economy, coupled with fear of insane crowds for SWGE and not having the major E ticket open. Disney may have expected more and planned for more but they are still making $$$$ hand over fist.

I conveniently don’t see articles about the insane down time of Hagrid and it being less than 10 minute waits plenty of days. Cause ya know, it’s easier and more fun to take pot shots at the big dog and it’s big dog franchise.

We all blame management/Chapek for their short sighted vision and ‘profit today at the expense of the long term’, YET everyone tries to paint this idea that something that isn’t gobbsmacked with people is a disaster after 3 weeks.

In 6-12 months when ROTR is humming along and they add some live entertainment to the land, you won’t hear anyone proclaiming “my bad I overreacted”

False narrative? It’s just a fact that reviews all across the internet are meh or negative. It’s just a fact. It’s not a false narrative just because YOU want it to be a false narrative. The land is broken. And the people know it. Even casual theme park visitors know it.

I can’t wait for ROTR to open and for entertainment to be finally injected into the land as promised. I can’t wait! I cannot wait for Disney to identify their mistakes and fix them, putting their unattractive ego aside.

But it’s not there right now. And it probably won’t be for a while.

The reason I’m so vocal is because I’m embarrassed at how excited and trusting I was of Disney and Co.

This was supposed to be their capstone project. After decades of practice, this was going to be a showcase of every trick they learned, the highest form of theme entertainment to rival Harry Potter and even their own imagineered lands and attractions. A land so complex, detailed and welcoming that it belonged in the very park that began themed entertainment 64 years ago.

I remember shushing people when the commercial came on during the thanksgiving parade, telling people in any theme park conversation about this amazing thing Disney was inventing, and then flying to be there when the milestone opened the first day.

But once I walked through the tunnel, my heart didn’t beat as fast as I dreamt it would. I didn’t have any emotional reaction. It was eerily quiet, colorless, and spiritless. It was Batuu on a normal day, a day where adventure was galaxies away. Real life is not exciting. A theme park land needs to pump in adventure, artificially. That’s the designer’s job.

Cast Members tried, but as someone who works on Broadway with arguably the highest skilled actors in the world, it was like nails on a chalkboard hearing Susie on her college program semester struggle to tell me about the wishing tree outside Savi’s, before informing me that no, I can not tie my wish to the tree.

Bright suns, man.

So besides me being directly vocal when at the land my first visit, I’m going to be vocal here. Because maybe the smug imagineers and darling bean counters will hear that people don’t like THEIR convoluted version of Star Wars, and should swiftly create a Star Wars adventure that is meaningful, full to the brim with wit and charm, and as epic as the films.

I just cannot believe that Galaxy’s Edge got that stupid datapad app were you can read what is inside a dumb crate, when in the Magic Kingdom there is a literal treasure hunt with magic tricks, moving parts, and environment altering scenes. Come. On.

Jones14

I think the land is not AS lifeless as it’s being painted to be, but there is a gap in live entertainment that is noticeable. There are several areas that were clearly designed as stages of some sort, namely the X-Wing, the landspeeder garage, the second level overlook by the falcon, and the first order ship.

If those weren’t there, I don’t think people would feel the gaps as much, but when you build a stage, people are gonna wait for a show.

Kate F

In all fairness, the fact that there doesn’t seem to be as much hype for this land as there was for The Wizarding World is kind of telling. I don’t think people should be acting like it’s just an insignificant minority who are disappointed by it.

Since I’m not a huge SW fan myself, I’m just hoping to have fun and don’t really care that much about what they did and didn’t include from the movies. I’m sure it’ll be a great time, but I don’t think criticism of the land should be discounted as just spreading negativity. Of course, I’ll have to wait till January to judge for myself.

KevinPage

I think the land is not AS lifeless as it’s being painted to be, but there is a gap in live entertainment that is noticeable. There are several areas that were clearly designed as stages of some sort, namely the X-Wing, the landspeeder garage, the second level overlook by the falcon, and the first order ship.

If those weren’t there, I don’t think people would feel the gaps as much, but when you build a stage, people are gonna wait for a show.

Fair point. I think people are also so conditioned to area music, especially at a Disney park, it takes some getting used to. If they had more roaming characters and “planned incidents/interactions” I think this would make more sense to people. But both together not being present gives it a different vibe. A vibe that doesn’t bother me, but one I do wish will come sooner rather than later.

If TDO is super sensitive over the OT outcry, it’s beyond easy to slap a few CM’s in Rodian and various other outfits to walk around and show up at Docking Bay 7, Oga’s and people entering exiting the land.

KevinPage

And since (correct me if I’m wrong), all of ROTR will take place away from prying eyes of anyone who is walking by (you’ll only see a queue of people), how will that inject the “life” and “excitement” into the land for the people who find it dull and lifeless currently?

Smugglers Run takes place all inside, so you get no kinetic energy from that.

Oga’s Cantina is a lively place but nothing can be seen from the outside.

It seems from the people who have issues with the land, live entertainment and nothing but live entertainment will fix the issue, correct?

I know they are not mutually exclusive and of course I’d want both. But having awesome attractions is priority numero uno for me. Everything else is the cherry on the sundae.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom