Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

bclane

It’s interesting this video shows only the AT-AT bodies' with no heads attached. My guess is they were planned on moving, but it was cut for budget or technical reasons. But all the CGI we’re seeing was already in the pipe. Again, I find it HIGHLY unlikely they would being in equipment to cut off the heads and add some serious motors to move those heads. If they move, they won’t for long.

As for the lasers, the patent is cool. But again, those spinning parts, which will spin VERY fast, would have to be isolated from guests, or one will fail fly off at 100 mph, and kill a little girl some day. It’s a cool patent, but I can’t see it used in a location that projection mapping wouldn’t be easier, and probably better.

The ride is clearly going to land between Spidey, with all screens and very detailed sets, and Ratatouille with all action on screens, and pretty basic, not fully immersive sets. And of course then there I’ll be some AAs added, and the ending fast elevator ride in a 360 degree screen around you.

I do hope it hits the screen/practical ratio just right. It sounds like it will. But it also seems like there are VERY few scenes in the ride, I’m pretty confident the 7-8 minute ride length is pure BS. It’ll be 4 minutes, have 3 or 4 AAs, likely 1 top notch one, a screen and/or projection mapping in pretty much every scene, and hopefully a couple of neat new effects, but likely the neatest “surprise” was already spoiled out of desperation in the D23 video.
I think we’ll be blown away by what could be the most epic thing Disney has ever done. But we’ll see.

Steph15251

8 minutes really isn’t that long for a darkride, especially not with the size of this building.
Maybe but it is long by most ride standards these days.Imo I think the main ride itself not the preshow etc.,would be around 6-8 mins long ,I think I put an article recently up that said about how long the ride would be ,but not sure if it was just talking about just the ride or also the pre show part.

Hawg G

Based on this, it's Simpsons at 8:00 minutes:

Some of those numbers are crazy off. Mummy is 3, not 5. Transformers is definitely in the 4 range.

And SImpsons and ET are 4.

That list is basically worthless, and is clearly including preshows too.

I still will stand with my "no way this ride is close to 8 minutes long" statement. If it is 5, it will be one of the longest rides built in a loooooong time in Orlando, and perhaps the world. Kong, now that I think about it, is likely the longest built in a very long time, thanks to the slow outside portion, and two "preshows" on the ride vehicle.

Yes, it NEEDS to be 5 minutes long, or 6, to really be the SWGE savior everyone is expecting. But I'll be very pleasantly shocked if it is.

mergatroid

Yes, it NEEDS to be 5 minutes long, or 6, to really be the SWGE savior everyone is expecting. But I'll be very pleasantly shocked if it is.

What are you basing this number on, research or just a figure you've decided is universally accepted by people?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Some of those numbers are crazy off. Mummy is 3, not 5. Transformers is definitely in the 4 range.

And SImpsons and ET are 4.

That list is basically worthless, and is clearly including preshows too.

I still will stand with my "no way this ride is close to 8 minutes long" statement. If it is 5, it will be one of the longest rides built in a loooooong time in Orlando, and perhaps the world. Kong, now that I think about it, is likely the longest built in a very long time, thanks to the slow outside portion, and two "preshows" on the ride vehicle.

So @marni1971, any comment? How long can we expect the main ride proper of Rise to be?

Hawg G

What are you basing this number on, research or just a figure you've decided is universally accepted by people?

All rides now are essentially 4 minutes long. To REALLY stand out, this needs to be a minute or two longer, without filler. Pretty simple, actually.

mergatroid

All rides now are essentially 4 minutes long. To REALLY stand out, this needs to be a minute or two longer, without filler. Pretty simple, actually.

So you're just saying that? That's fair enough but it's your opinion rather than actual research isn't it? My guess would be that to 'stand out' we could be looking at other factors too. I'm guessing if there's great effects in it along with excitement, it could 'stand out' on that alone. Personally I'd guess the ride is longer than 4 minutes but rather than just timing it I'd think guests will be looking at the content over the length, but that's just my guess.

Hawg G

Yep. Purposely.

Do you think differently?

I think it will certainly be in that range, and obviously you know more than I. But I take your statement as 4:30 - 6:30 in length.

Seeing the layout, how many scenes there are, including the double for the down elevator, and how fast the cars seem to be moving through the AT-AT scene, I'm expecting typical scene length, like 30-40 seconds. The layout suggests 7 scenes, 8 if the down elevators are counted twice. 8 times 40 is 320 seconds, or 5:20. I think the ride needs to be that long to really WOW everyone, and change SWGE from a "where the hell did a billion dollars go" land to a "It's just as good as the Potter lands".

Well, that, and a "New and Improved" Blue Milk.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think it will certainly be in that range, and obviously you know more than I. But I take your statement as 4:30 - 6:30 in length.

Seeing the layout, how many scenes there are, including the double for the down elevator, and how fast the cars seem to be moving through the AT-AT scene, I'm expecting typical scene length, like 30-40 seconds. The layout suggests 7 scenes, 8 if the down elevators are counted twice. 8 times 40 is 320 seconds, or 5:20. I think the ride needs to be that long to really WOW everyone, and change SWGE from a "where the hell did a billion dollars go" land to a "It's just as good as the Potter lands".

Well, that, and a "New and Improved" Blue Milk.
Rat is five minutes. For example. And has less scenes than the 11 of the Rise ride (though as always scene counts can be ambiguous)

Surferboy567

...for Rise, I personally don’t think it’s fair to not count the first preshow in the caves, the shuttle to the star destroyer, as well as the lead up to the actual ride. All of this are essential parts of the experience as well (at least from what we know based on the leaks, insider knowledge, and descriptions).

Hawg G

Rat is five minutes. For example. And has less scenes than the 11 of the Rise ride (though as always scene counts can be ambiguous)

Rat isn't 5, it's closer to 4:30, and the first 30 seconds is eventless, really just a spacer, with time to do moves to split the groups between the parallel scenes. It does appear RotR will get right into the action. And are you saying the layouts are wrong? They list 10 scenes, including load and unload, the hangar, and preshow as scenes, meaning really 7, not the 8 I said previously, counting DOWN as 2.

You obviously know, It comes down to the longest scene, and goes down from there. Some rides have A/B scenes like MM, and it appears MMRR, where there may be two rooms, but they are in view of each other, so are still one "scene". A "scene" is clearly one full area blocked off for one set of ride vehicles. But, clearly with RotR, the elevators will set the pace. Likely the UP one, as the those elevators have to load cars, go up, unload cars, and come down, all in "scene time". That is the one hope that perhaps RotR has longer scenes, as that will take a lot of time, which is why Transformers has parallel ones for both. I'm actually very surprised there are only 2 UP ones, apparently taking 1 vehicle each. Any issues in those, and a cascade stop will occur. At least they are close to the ride start, so only a couple groups will be put in stall mode.

As for the preshow, etc., if I'm standing, I'm not riding.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member

standup_SFGA-GreenLantern_srgba_02.jpg

Surferboy567

This is a bad way of looking at attractions. Take the haunted mansion for example, the stretching room is extremely important to the entire experience. Lots of time, money, and detail went into the entire experience of Rise...ignoring an intergral part wouldn’t be fair to judge it based on only a part where you are “riding”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom