Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Hawg G

standup_SFGA-GreenLantern_srgba_02.jpg
Cute, but they ain't standing, they are sitting on a bicycle seat.

Secondly, those rides are all dying because of lack of popularity.
This is a bad way of looking at attractions. Take the haunted mansion for example, the stretching room is extremely important to the entire experience. Lots of time, money, and detail went into the entire experience of Rise...ignoring an intergral part wouldn’t be fair to judge it based on only a part where you are “riding”.

Agree to disagree on that. Gringotts and Journey have intricate elevator preshows, but it isn't part of the ride. When the ride vehicle begins to move, the ride has begun. The experience begins when you enter the last of the queue.

Disney has been working on getting folks to think like you. Add more and more preshows, and simplify the rides.

Remember how folks were going crazy about how amazing the Falcon preshow would be? Then the reality that it was NOT a full Falcon, and even had three cockpits attached. I dont see RotR's preshow being HM calibre. But I hope I'm wrong.

Surferboy567

Agree to disagree on that. Gringotts and Journey have intricate elevator preshows, but it isn't part of the ride. When the ride vehicle begins to move, the ride has begun. The experience begins when you enter the last of the queue.

Disney has been working on getting folks to think like you. Add more and more preshows, and simplify the rides.

Remember how folks were going crazy about how amazing the Falcon preshow would be? Then the reality that it was NOT a full Falcon, and even had three cockpits attached. I dont see RotR's preshow being HM calibre. But I hope I'm wrong.

I never said it would be HM caliber...I just said it was integral to the experience. Also I very much enjoyed the preshow and entire Falcon experience. I’m a huge fan of how it as all done, don’t have any problems with it. Sure, it’s a video game but an engaging one at that.

mikejs78

Premium Member

I think it depends on the Calibur and importance of the pre show to the whole experience. I'd argue that Mansion's preshow is a critical part of the attraction, as is the pre show to ToT, but the pre shows at RnRC and Dinosaur are not, and MF also is not (despite the very advanced AA).

If the pre show areas for RotR are as intricate as described, then I would argue that they are part of the attraction as they seem to be very much part of the story and more of an experience than a show.

Steph15251

I think it depends on the Calibur and importance of the pre show to the whole experience. I'd argue that Mansion's preshow is a critical part of the attraction, as is the pre show to ToT, but the pre shows at RnRC and Dinosaur are not, and MF also is not (despite the very advanced AA).

If the pre show areas for RotR are as intricate as described, then I would argue that they are part of the attraction as they seem to be very much part of the story and more of an experience than a show.
I would also say the pre show or pre shows are a big part of FOP too.

Hawg G

Yet RnRC and Dinosaur’s are definitely part of the story, and are just as lame as FoP’s, in Dino’s case.

Seems you are just saying preshows are important if you like the ride, but don’t matter for the lower level rides. I mean, you say MF’s isn’t important, but it essentially explains the entire purpose of the ride, and introduces the unknown character that yells at you the whole ride.

Surferboy567

Yet RnRC and Dinosaur’s are definitely part of the story, and are just as lame as FoP’s, in Dino’s case.

Seems you are just saying preshows are important if you like the ride, but don’t matter for the lower level rides. I mean, you say MF’s isn’t important, but it essentially explains the entire purpose of the ride, and introduces the unknown character that yells at you the whole ride.

...how about this preshows are important and integral to the ride experience period.

mikejs78

Premium Member

I wouldn't say those are lower level rides. I love both of those rides. I think where the difference is is that for HM and ToT, it's experiential, not just a pre-roll. I may end up feeling that way about MF too once I ride it, but not sure. In HM, you really feel like you've entered the mansion, for example.

The thing about Rise is it seems the whole thing is experiential to actually make you feel like you've been captured by the First Order, not just a quick movie before the ride to explain the premise.

SplashJacket

I think @Hawg G wants a ride like POTC in Shanghai that is absolutely mindblowing without a pre-show.

Personally, I am not going to complain about a POTC caliber ride that also has a preshow. I see it as a win-win.

A ride like POTC does not require an elaborate backstory in order to begin the ride.

I see Gringott's and Journey's elevator preshows more as an element of immersion than an explanation of backstory. Dinosaur and RRC's preshow are part of this list.

If you ride TOT without the preshow the ride would serve no greater purpose than a generic drop tower. The ride would still be great, but everything which occurs throughout is entirely random. Why are there ghosts? Why am I going up and down? Why is 42 the meaning of life?

Preshows are not the ride itself, it is an element which adds to the ride when necessary.

Last edited:

Steph15251

I think @Hawg G wants a ride like POTC in Shanghai that is absolutely mindblowing without a pre-show.

Personally, I am not going to complain about a POTC caliber ride that also has a preshow. I see it as a win-win.

A ride like POTC does not require an elaborate backstory in order to begin the ride.

I see Gringott's and Journey's elevator preshows more as an element of immersion than an explanation of backstory. Dinosaur and RRC's preshow are part of this list.

If you ride TOT without the preshow the entire ride would make no sense. It would simply be a generic drop tower.

Preshows are not the ride itself, it is an element which adds to the ride when necessary.
I have only been on the WDW tower of terror and I do not think of it as a generic drop tower

Stripes

It’s extremely long for any ride built in the last 20 years. And a third of the building is the hangar.
The ride area is around 100,000 sq ft. That's much bigger than any Disney dark ride this side of the Pacific. I believe Shanghai Pirates is close, but it's hard to tell which has a larger ride area on paper. Shanghai Pirates uses boats though. Even though they are propelled by magnets, they're still slower than trackless vehicles. The big difference between dark rides before and dark rides now is the speed of the vehicles.

I would expect around 6.5 minutes.

Hawg G

The ride area is around 100,000 sq ft. That's much bigger than any Disney dark ride this side of the Pacific. I believe Shanghai Pirates is close, but it's hard to tell which has a larger ride area on paper. Shanghai Pirates uses boats though. Even though they are propelled by magnets, they're still slower than trackless vehicles. The big difference between dark rides before and dark rides now is the speed of the vehicles.

I would expect around 6.5 minutes.

I. Believe it was Marni who said the queue and hanger were a third of the building. And the AT-AT room is pretty big too. Pirates has a long ride length, as it is heavy on screen usage, and you go slow. I don’t see RotR going slow, and the sets are likely big, being in a starship.

Knowing the capacity estimates, and ride vehicle pair capacity, scene length can be estimated.

16 riders per group 1600 per hour. So 100 groups leave the load every hour
3600 seconds per hour, 36 seconds per scene

Even if it is 8 scenes, which I think it is 7, that is 288 seconds, or a bit under 5 minutes. 4 and a half if it is 7 scenes.

SplashJacket

I have only been on the WDW tower of terror and I do not think of it as a generic drop tower

Probably should have clarified. Neither do I, and now that you pointed that out I definitely should have been more specific. Boarding the Tower of Terror without the knowledge that you are going on a maintenance service elevator, it is like going on a generic drop tower with no rhyme or reason. The ride is far from a generic drop tower. My intended point was the ride, without a preshow, would be as random as a generic drop tower.

TP2000

I. Believe it was Marni who said the queue and hanger were a third of the building. And the AT-AT room is pretty big too. Pirates has a long ride length, as it is heavy on screen usage, and you go slow. I don’t see RotR going slow, and the sets are likely big, being in a starship.

Knowing the capacity estimates, and ride vehicle pair capacity, scene length can be estimated.

16 riders per group 1600 per hour. So 100 groups leave the load every hour
3600 seconds per hour, 36 seconds per scene

Even if it is 8 scenes, which I think it is 7, that is 288 seconds, or a bit under 5 minutes. 4 and a half if it is 7 scenes.

Did you see the Al Lutz article on the other website last month? They outlined the various scenes and overlaid a ride layout onto the current land map. It was quite revealing. There appears to be four different loading bays for the trackless vehicles.

Rise-of-the-Resistance-MiceChat.png

Steph15251

I read from a news article that,the ride would be 12 til 16 mins depending on what route you go .This is what the news reporter was told ,but I think that includes the pre show too.

Hawg G

That is an old number given out by a blogger, Alecia, with no intentions that the ride itself was that long. Who would really think that anyway?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom