Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
OK got the answer for you - and a couple more...
(1) Hanger room - it is a concave wall, painted black. - Like the escape pod "drop" wall, only black.
(2) Parking spaces for the cars on the second floor - NO charging pads. Just for broken down cars.

View attachment 492604

Well then I stand corrected. and withdrawl my previous stance.

same here, I thought it was a screen too...

I am man enough to admit when I am wrong and I apologize to the previous poster and withdrawl my complaint. Not everyday I learn something new but thank you. I will gladly eat my humble pie.

I’m also under the impression that, like most things on this attraction, the projection system in the hangar is more than meets the eye. If I recall correctly, the stars and ships are run on two separate projection systems, with the stars using some type of laser projection.
To try and prevent the stars and ships from overlapping, there is something that “deactivates” stars (fading them off) whenever a larger, slow moving ship is nearing it (like the Star Destroyer projections). Meanwhile, the senors don’t pick up the smaller, faster ships, like the TIE projections, causing them to overlap with the star projections (making both visible on top of each other).

Blast from the past (no pun intended) here but I recalled this discussion so asked someone who would know when I spent some time with them.

The wall isn’t a screen, nor is just black paint. It’s a matt surface that will reflect light. The star destroyer is a single projection, where the actual projection is only as big as the ship. The TIE fighters are similarly projections that are only as big as the craft. The wall is simply too large for one (or several) projections to cover at a decent resolution and brightness.

These individual ship projections are video, as opposed to stills. They are animated to shift their parallax (sqinch) as they fly across the wall to keep the correct perspective. The projectors themselves are motorised to pan and tilt to enable the images to cross the wall, again instead of having to project onto the entire wall at once. Think a moving head (or moving mirror) stage light with an animated gobo but much more complex.

Stars are indeed lasers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Blast from the past (no pun intended) here but I recalled this discussion so asked someone who would know when I spent some time with them.

The wall isn’t a screen, nor is just black paint. It’s a matt surface that will reflect light. The star destroyer is a single projection, where the actual projection is only as big as the ship. The TIE fighters are similarly projections that are only as big as the craft. The wall is simply too large for one (or several) projections to cover at a decent resolution and brightness.

These individual ship projections are video, as opposed to stills. They are animated to shift their parallax (sqinch) as they fly across the wall to keep the correct perspective. The projectors themselves are motorised to pan and tilt to enable the images to cross the wall, again instead of having to project onto the entire wall at once. Think a moving head (or moving mirror) stage light with an animated gobo but much more complex.

Stars are indeed lasers.
That sounds like a lot of cost/work for such a forgettable spin on unforgettable IP 🤪

Epcot_Imagineer

Stars are indeed lasers.
That’s a fantastic idea, wow. I was impressed with how ‘bright’ the star destroyer looked and was wondering how that was achieved. I wonder what the surface itself is, some sort of black mylar, I’d assume? Thanks for this insight, Martin. This sort of detail really does make me think “new take on an old idea”.

yensidtlaw1969

That’s a fantastic idea, wow. I was impressed with how ‘bright’ the star destroyer looked and was wondering how that was achieved. I wonder what the surface itself is, some sort of black mylar, I’d assume? Thanks for this insight, Martin. This sort of detail really does make me think “new take on an old idea”.
It almost sounds like it could be those highly reflective micro glass pearls they use in Highway Signs to illuminate them as Headlights go by. That would give a matte finish while still sending back out any light being received from a projection.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Stars are indeed lasers.
Martin, no one cares how it's done.

They care about whether this so-called "surface" should be call a "screen" or a "wall"!!!1!1

Millions of Internet Points rest on the correct nomenclature!!

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom