News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

DisneyJoe

If the ride goes down and your on the ride (whether in the pre shows or on the actual ride) and they have to evacuate you out, you receive a paper fast pass to return. It is only good for that day. I should know. I’ve gotten two, haha.

If your boarding group is never called, that’s when you get a Park Hopper and FP (good for the next day only I believe, but I could be wrong on that)
I believe CM's have been told that they can allow the FP to be used within a week

techgeek

With all the talk of MDE glitches and such this morning... are there any accommodations for guests that may not be technically savvy or even have a phone that can support MDE? Can you in theory use one of the in park kiosks to attain a BG? Are guest relations CM’s available at the gate area to ‘iPad assist’ with getting a BG?

I mean, even aside from making sure it’s installed, signed in and ready to go, I know several people that would just flat out not be able to do this without assistance, either because of the learning curve or because they still are carrying obsolete phone hardware.

Darth Snips

The situation is that the ride is not ready. Anything else is damage limitation.
Of course it’s damage limitation. As you said, the ride’s not ready. But that decision was made by people like Chapek; the suits and execs who, quite frankly, don’t know how to run these parks.

When people like @disneygeek90 or myself praise the way this stuff is being handled, we’re not referring to them. We’re referring to people like Josh D’amaro who was personally out in the field on opening day, or the individual leadership at DHS who is trying to keep guests as comfortable and satisfied as possible, or the frontline CMs who are working ridiculous hours with a smile on their faces while never dropping their character, or the poor maintenance team who is desperately trying to keep this ride running for as long as it can.

I think those folks are just as frustrated as we are with this early opening. But you know what? They’re doing the best job they can with what they’re given. And I think they deserve praise for that. I applaud every one of those people for running this ride as long as they can, and always putting the guests first when they can’t.

This is second time I’ve ridden RotR. Both times, it has briefly broken, and I blame Chapek for that. But I also thank the team that is working so hard to make those breakdowns as smooth as possible.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The ride. It’s still not ready.
I guess the most confusing or ambiguous part about the "not ready" aspect is that ROTR does run, just not reliably, however, there is no obvious pinpointing (from the guest pov) as to what fails. They just see it as the ride stopping and then they are evac'd.

It's almost as though it's so overly complicated and one act/part of the experience's dependence on the other to operate, results in the entire attraction failing. There is also no evidence that anything is improving, the only variable is just how quickly they recover from downtime. I'm not even convinced they understand at this point how to properly fix it or improve reliability. You can do very little in the 6 or less hours between closing and reopening.

I'm guessing they can just hope to hobble through the new year and then shut it down in January slow period for a full refurb to get it working.

bubbles1812

The date was too soon. Although behind schedule, it still wasn't and isn’t ready.
Maybe. But it’s running (for the most part) and every breakdown helps them fix a problem. Running with guests on it is helping Ops. At least that’s what two different ones told us. It’s just hard to pinpoint a problem in a million lines of code.

Yes, I’ve seen some occasional upset guests but for the most part, it seemed every one has taken the issues fairly calmly. I think the biggest thing was the stated opening time vs actual opening time. This morning it was 640. Fairly on par with DHS opening patterns.

The ride is amazing. I’m glad the opened on time, glitches and all. And worth the downtime waits.

ToTBellHop

I guess the most confusing or ambiguous part about the "not ready" aspect is that ROTR does run, just not reliably, however, there is no obvious pinpointing (from the guest pov) as to what fails. They just see it as the ride stopping and then they are evac'd.

It's almost as though it's so overly complicated and one act/part of the experience's dependence on the other to operate, results in the entire attraction failing. There is also no evidence that anything is improving, the only variable is just how quickly they recover from downtime. I'm not even convinced they understand at this point how to properly fix it or improve reliability. You can do very little in the 6 or less hours between closing and reopening.

I'm guessing they can just hope to hobble through the new year and then shut it down in January slow period for a full refurb to get it working.
They will not be shutting the ride down. It will hobble along until it can run reliably. Test Track has been doing that for 20 years.

As far as I've read, there's only one person I can think of on these boards who has come to the park but not been able to ride (and I still don't understand why). Those who want to are managing it, so I'm happy the ride is open. This is less embarrassing (especially thanks to the boarding groups) than missing an announced opening again.

DisneyJoe

With all the talk of MDE glitches and such this morning... are there any accommodations for guests that may not be technically savvy or even have a phone that can support MDE? Can you in theory use one of the in park kiosks to attain a BG? Are guest relations CM’s available at the gate area to ‘iPad assist’ with getting a BG?

I mean, even aside from making sure it’s installed, signed in and ready to go, I know several people that would just flat out not be able to do this without assistance, either because of the learning curve or because they still are carrying obsolete phone hardware.
I believe the Guest Experience(?) booths have people with iPads that can help?

ImperfectPixie

One of the things I hate about society today is that we're so quick to shrug and say "oh well, not our fault they're choosing to be left behind". It happens in more areas of life than just technology.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
They will not be shutting the ride down. It will hobble along until it can run reliably. Test Track has been doing that for 20 years.

As far as I've read, there's only one person I can think of on these boards who has come to the park but not been able to ride (and I still don't understand why). Those who want to are managing it, so I'm happy the ride is open. This is less embarrassing (especially thanks to the boarding groups) than missing an announced opening again.
And this will always be a test track type ride which is subject to a very finicky ride system. The difference is, TT had a 4 month soft opening period to at least get it to somewhat functional consistency, ROTR had no soft opening and has totally unpredictable consistency.

Last edited:

bubbles1812

It’s running at around half capacity. Being constantly hammered gives no time to figure out what went wrong and how to correct it in the future.
I do understand your point but I’ve gotten to have two amazing ride experiences when I otherwise would have had to wait two years as that’s next when I’ll return. So I guess... sorry but not sorry? 😂

I am sure they will get opportunities to work out the kinks, just not always at the most convenient times. And I’ll stick by what I said that it really doesn’t feel like too much of mess when you are physically in DHS. Most everyone seemed to be expecting the breakdowns and rolling with it.

EDIT: Now off to Epcot on a rainy morning... I’ll write a full report of both experiences at some point.

ToTBellHop

And this will alway be a test track type ride which is subject to a very finicky ride system. The difference is, TT had a 4 month soft opening period to at least get it to somewhat functional consistency, ROTR had no soft opening and has totally unpredictable consistency.
Do you have a crystal ball?

They will get there on this ride. There will be three copies of the ride (at least) around the world and they can all email and FaceTime each other as they troubleshoot.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It’s running at around half capacity. Being constantly hammered gives no time to figure out what went wrong and how to correct it in the future. It’s currently fire fighting on both sides.
Do you have a crystal ball?

They will get there on this ride. There will be three copies of the ride (at least) around the world and they can all email and FaceTime each other as they troubleshoot.

I'm sure they will get there eventuallyl, but I tend to agree with @marni1971 on this. It's going to be a busy end of year at DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom