Star Wars Land

PeterAlt

This is a really good assessment.

People can bash Jim Hill for inaccuracy all they want, but at the end of the day, he's almost as trustworthy as Disney themselves. Remember Hyperion Wharf and the Fairies mini-land? Thought so. Hell, Pandora and del Toro's Haunted Mansion movie might both be vaporware as well.
You made my point better than I was trying to make it!

Disneyhead'71

Supposedly, there are multiple different plans in play. It's possible that TDO has not settled on a specific plan or they have settled on one but the information isn't certain.

One concensus seems to be that there will be a "speeder bike" ride themed to Endor/Episode VI in the location where Indiana Jones now sits. It's not clear if this will be a "bike coaster" by Vekoma (which is what is going into Shanghai for a Tron light cycle ride) or a screen based ride where two large groups of people apparently race inside a dome with projections (which Jim Hill has described).

There is definitely plans for a Mos Eisley Cantina. Hill suggests it will be located in a new building where Echo Lake now is. Others have said it would be replacing Mama Melrose. I would think the location would depend on which explantion plan is used.

It doesn't seem like Backlot Express is being considered for the cantina. One site said it would be replaced by a kid friendly ride. I think Hill suggested that it would remain a quick serve with new Star Wars theming.

There's some sort of plans for a children friendly ride. Hill says it will be a spinner themed to X-wings and located where the Jedi Academy stage is right now.

Star Tours will be unchanged as a ride, but may get a new entrance so that the scneary won't be set up like "props" but will be realistic Star Wars stuff.

There will be an indoor Jedi Training Academy. Possibly in the Sounds Dangerous theater, possible in the space currently occupied by Muppetvision. I haven't seen details about this, although previous decriptions from when it was planned a few eyars ago included an AA Yoda (probably like Lumiere in ETWB)

A walk through Millenium Falcon is being considered (I think one is also being planned/considered for Paris).

Anyone have anything else?
Thanks.

PeterAlt

Will do. haha
There's no Marvel Land thread. That was a joke, by the way. You know, if it weren't for Uni current arrangement for Marvel, there would be a Marvel Land thread too saying the same thing as the Star Wars Land, Cars Land, and DHS makeover threads.

Basically, all of these threads are about supposed rumors of Disney investing between $500 million and $1.5 billion on some kind of makeover or expansion of Disney Studios Hollywood (DHS). Some rumors say it will include Cars Land. Some say it will include a Star Wars Land. Many say it will include an expansion of Pixar Place with a Monsters, Inc. in-door roller coaster. Some say it will include all the above. Others say it will include just one of the above.

Many were counting on an announcement to be made this coming August at D23. Then, an Imagineer said that there will be no such big announcement at the D23 convention but maybe some small announcements and clues to future big announcements. Then, it was said that maybe the big announcement will happen prior or just after D23.

It's enough to give anyone a massive brain aneurism.

RSoxNo1

Not being an avid follower of Jim Hill, I'm not aware of his accuracy. Would you be so kind as to provide some examples where he first reported major insider info in the last five years that proved to be correct?
He was the first person to report that C3PO would be the captain on Star Tours 2.0
He was the first person to report that the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train would replace the meet and greets in New Fantasyland

RSoxNo1

I don't think the board or people bashing him was about accuracy of his rumor info ... in fact I think all usually felt either mezzo-mezzo or good about him. The turning point was that sell out trash article he wrote basically chastising anyone who criticized TDO for not investing in the parks. He used irrelevant data, misplaced information, and flat out misrepresentation to make a nonsensical point which smelt very highly of a TDO pay off ... that is why people gave him a hard time (and I might add rightly so) but ... he is a good writer, has been doing this a long time, and is somewhat connected ... so doubting his rumors is not really what people are doing, at least I don't think.
I didn't agree with the article at all, but he was getting bashed on these boards long before that article came out.

Captain Neo

I don't think the board or people bashing him was about accuracy of his rumor info ... in fact I think all usually felt either mezzo-mezzo or good about him. The turning point was that sell out trash article he wrote basically chastising anyone who criticized TDO for not investing in the parks. He used irrelevant data, misplaced information, and flat out misrepresentation to make a nonsensical point which smelt very highly of a TDO pay off ... that is why people gave him a hard time (and I might add rightly so) but ... he is a good writer, has been doing this a long time, and is somewhat connected ... so doubting his rumors is not really what people are doing, at least I don't think.

Oh I must have missed that. Yea that's BS he should not have done that.

Captain Neo

Not being an avid follower of Jim Hill, I'm not aware of his accuracy. Would you be so kind as to provide some examples where he first reported major insider info in the last five years that proved to be correct?

He broke the story about New Fantasyland first. He even detailed out the original version that had the Seven Dwarfs Mine coaster that was removed from the announcement and readded later as well as a Beauty & the beast dark ride that got scrapped. There are more examples that im either not thinking of at the moment or they are older than 5 years. He was also one of the first (along with WDW1974) to confirm Star Tours 2 was in real production and not just a concept sitting on a shelf anymore.

lazyboy97o

Jim Hill is usually accurate with his insider reports. I keep seeing people badmouthing both him and Al Lutz and I have no clue why since 95% of the time what I read from them usually ends up happening.

I think @Sue_Vongello really covered a big moment but it started before that article. He stopped calling out Disney on their bull and instead has embraced more the company line. He also likes to make snide remarks about fans who do not just buy up whatever Disney offers.

doctornick

I will say that I generally hope that Hill's version of the plans are more accurate than some of the ones listed on here. Specifically....

1. I like the idea of preserving the Muppets area are Muppetvision. For starters, it keeps that (needed) attraction open while the new stuff is being built, given that there is the potential of losing three big attractions with IJ stunt show, LMA, and Backlot Tour. Also, I just like the Muppets. (I would like to see Pizza Planet themed to the Muppets too -- Swedish Chef? -- and/or some smaller stuff added like the Muppets Mobile Lab.)
2. Working predominantly on Echo Lake means that it's more likely than not that AIE is going to go away. I'm just not a fan of that attraction and would prefer to see it replaced.
3. I'm neither excited nor upset about the proposed speeder bike ride that Hill has (kinda) described, but it's at least intriguing. If the ride vehicles move around within the space, I think it has some significant potential, but there's not a lot of specifics there. The Tron bike coaster seems more "what you see is what you get" and surely would be cool, but has less upside/potentially to wow (I could be wrong) since it's basically a coaster with guests sitting in a different ride position.
4. I'm glad there is plans for a family friendly ride. I'm not glad if it would be a simple spinner, but they did a great job in Anaheim with making a basic whip ride really cool with Mater's so I'd wait until details come out before getting bent out of shape.
5. Jedi Training Academy going into Sounds Dangerous just makes perfect sense given the location. They should be working on that now so it can be up and running ASAP. I like that better than replacing Muppetvision (though if they put Jedi Training in Muppetvision and used Sounds Dangerous for something else for Star Wars, I'd be intrigued; I just don't want the theater still sitting empty.)
6. I'm glad they are considering a Millennium Falcon walk through, which I think would be a great fit.

Very curious as to what would go in the Backlot Express space. Presumable another quick serve, so I wonder about the theme. I also wonder if they will go into the backstage area (parade storage) to build more. Or would they leave that and have future parades go through the Star Wars area?

Do any of the insiders think Hill is completely off in his descriptions? What else is being considered?

doctornick

i thought this was just fan speculation

No, Jim Hill specifically mentioned it in the podcast as being under consideration. Plus, IIRC, a walk through Millennium Falcon is in the concept art for the DLP Star Wars expansion that is planned (I don't know if it make the final cut for being built there).

|Q|

No, Jim Hill specifically mentioned it in the podcast as being under consideration. Plus, IIRC, a walk through Millennium Falcon is in the concept art for the DLP Star Wars expansion that is planned (I don't know if it make the final cut for being built there).

The concept art you mention is a really old one, before they opted for the "Discoveryland" concept, and i think most of the speculations about the walk through actually came from that concept art

NoChesterHester

The concept art you mention is a really old one, before they opted for the "Discoveryland" concept, and i think most of the speculations about the walk through actually came from that concept art

Correct. The concept art floating around is an old and outdated plan. I don't believe any current concept art has been released.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That art is from 1988-9.

|Q|

Oh, okay, I didn't realize it was that old. Do we have any ideas as to what is planned for DLP for Star Wars? I would think it would make sense to duplicate attractions between Paris and Florida for some developmental cost savings.

Not much is known. The project originated from the need to upgrade Star Tours (in DLP there's still the original one, and it's falling apart pretty badly), to market it like more than a ride update. Beside STIITAC3D there should be a Jedi Training Academy, different reports have placed it in the Captain EO theatre just next to ST or on the Hyperion Cafe stage (Yoda & an airship... doesn't makes much sense, but whatever...). And there should be a Mos Eisley Cantina restaurant, supposed where now is hosted the Buzz Lightyear Pizza Planet tent, just outside the bern. @WDW1974 talked about it being studied as a two-phases project, but no hint on what this could mean.

I was speculating about the possible layout of the DLP rumoured expansion on the DLP section of the forum
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/star-wars-land-and-its-layout.867597/

PeterAlt

Correct. The concept art floating around is an old and outdated plan. I don't believe any current concept art has been released.
So, I'm getting the impression that Star Wars Land has been greenlit for DLP and its more or less official, absent a formal corporate statement. Correct?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom