Star Wars Land

El Grupo

It has almost become SOP on this board that any rumor that involves a simulator becomes "Soarin 2.0."

Yes, it is an interesting trend around here. Considering many of the decisions that have come out of TDO (or possibly lack of direction from Burbank), it is understandable that many folks have lowered expectations.

But, I just think that, based on some additional players in the mix and the evolving environment in Orlando (e.g., Universal has changed the game), we are going to see far more than some suppose from both Avatar and a SW land.

doctornick

Some sort of projection hybrid to make you feel like you're going faster than you actually are could be awesome.

Especially if it trying to simulate going to hyperspace (not the case with this speeder bike ride). But if there would be projections used to emulate zooming through the forests of Endor, I could see how they could enhance the effect of actually being on a moving vehicle.

It has almost become SOP on this board that any rumor that involves a simulator becomes "Soarin 2.0."

True that. and it's always in a disparaging way, even though (1) Soarin' is a popular ride and (2) presumable if it were a "2.0" version, it would be better than Soarin' in some respects.

That's not to say that Soarin' doesn't have problems, but they are mostly related to the quality of the film. I could easily see a more enhanced version of the Saorin' setup (like the one in Canada that was discussed on some thread here) to be an exciting addition to WDW.

NoChesterHester

Yes, it is an interesting trend around here. Considering many of the decisions that have come out of TDO (or possibly lack of direction from Burbank), it is understandable that many folks have lowered expectations.

But, I just think that, based on some additional players in the mix and the evolving environment in Orlando (e.g., Universal has changed the game), we are going to see far more than some suppose from both Avatar and a SW land.

I think there is some pride and ego involved here as well. WDI is well aware the Universal Creative now has the high ground in the "world class attraction" department. Designers need ego to properly function. I bet that will force them to at least attempt to innovate.

El Grupo

Especially if it trying to simulate going to hyperspace (not the case with this speeder bike ride). But if there would be projections used to emulate zooming through the forests of Endor, I could see how they could enhance the effect of actually being on a moving vehicle.

When the patent for the "planes" twister ride was initially posted, I thought, at first glance, it was a coaster system that used wrap-around screens and the fans to enhance the sensation of speed.

I listened to Hill's podcast and understand his description of what he saw in regards to an E-ticket. However, I have to wonder if portions of that twister example couldn't be destined for something much bigger.

NoChesterHester

When the patent for the "planes" twister ride was initially posted, I thought, at first glance, it was a coaster system that used wrap-around screens and the fans to enhance the sensation of speed.

I listened to Hill's podcast and understand his description of what he saw in regards to an E-ticket. However, I have to wonder if portions of that twister example couldn't be destined for something much bigger.

What if that is the "spinner."

twebber55

totally agree with the idea that the planes concept could be a small part of a bigger ride

El Grupo

What if that is the "spinner."

Been thinking the same as well. But, I can't help but go back to my quick first impression and wonder (or maybe hope) that it is part of a more robust attraction.

If it was a coaster wrapped in a tube, it appears that it could easily wind around much of the area. And, it could be easily hidden in the theming done for the land (tube could blend into Tatooine, under foliage in Endor, part of the buildings in a spaceport, etc.

El Grupo

IMO, the key action events in the Star Wars saga was the destruction of the two Death Stars. From a long-term perspective, it seems that this experience would be the focus of a major attraction at DHS. Please allow a moment of armchair imagineering.

I see several expressing their interest in seeing a full-sized replica of the Millenium Falcon. What if Disney went further and made one part of the queue for an E-Ticket attraction built around the pivotal scene where the Rebels fly into the the Death Star in Episode VI? Imagine being able to sit in the cockpit with three other passengers and piloting the Falcon.

Could Disney use something like the vehicles in DisneySea's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea attached to arms that moved the "cockpit" though the scenes? Seems like a link was recently posted to a non-Kuka ride system that could accommodate such an action.

Or the cockpit windows could simply be screens.

Lots of opportunities for theming in the queue, including a strategy meeting with an animatronic Admiral Akbar. Just some dreaming on my part.

doctornick

IMO, the key action events in the Star Wars saga was the destruction of the two Death Stars. From a long-term perspective, it seems that this experience would be the focus of a major attraction at DHS. Please allow a moment of armchair imagineering.

I see several expressing their interest in seeing a full-sized replica of the Millenium Falcon. What if Disney went further and made one part of the queue for an E-Ticket attraction built around the pivotal scene where the Rebels fly into the the Death Star in Episode VI? Imagine being able to sit in the cockpit with three other passengers and piloting the Falcon.

Could Disney use something like the vehicles in DisneySea's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea attached to arms that moved the "cockpit" though the scenes? Seems like a link was recently posted to a non-Kuka ride system that could accommodate such an action.

Or the cockpit windows could simply be screens.

Lots of opportunities for theming in the queue, including a strategy meeting with an animatronic Admiral Akbar. Just some dreaming on my part.

I hear what you are saying and agree that some sort of "attack the Death Star" attraction would be cool. Certainly would be a huge homage to the films. That said, I think a walk through Millenium Falcon on its own is just a huge win and should -- if they want to pursue it -- be its own attraction. I think your concept is cool, but would be better with an X-wing or B-wing setup.

Why a walk through for the Falcon? IMHO, it would a pretty affordable addition to really "flesh out" a full Star Wars land. I'm expecting something like 2 rides (an E-ticket and a kid friendly one) and Mos Eisley and maybe some smaller stuff, but having another attraction that is a walk through gives there a full roster of attractions with a variety of experiences. And exploring the Falcon is something that would be very popular and having it set up like that (not as a queue or a ride) allows people to spend their time going through if they like. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would give TDO great "bang for the buck" -- plus who doesn't want to see the classic exterior of the Millenium Falcon build in full scale to see?

El Grupo

I hear what you are saying and agree that some sort of "attack the Death Star" attraction would be cool. Certainly would be a huge homage to the films. That said, I think a walk through Millenium Falcon on its own is just a huge win and should -- if they want to pursue it -- be its own attraction. I think your concept is cool, but would be better with an X-wing or B-wing setup.

Why a walk through for the Falcon? IMHO, it would a pretty affordable addition to really "flesh out" a full Star Wars land. I'm expecting something like 2 rides (an E-ticket and a kid friendly one) and Mos Eisley and maybe some smaller stuff, but having another attraction that is a walk through gives there a full roster of attractions with a variety of experiences. And exploring the Falcon is something that would be very popular and having it set up like that (not as a queue or a ride) allows people to spend their time going through if they like. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would give TDO great "bang for the buck" -- plus who doesn't want to see the classic exterior of the Millenium Falcon build in full scale to see?

I agree on having a full-size Falcon, especially if there were quite a few interactive elements to entertain folks during a walkthrough. If done properly, my guess is that the lines to see inside would initially be akin to a meet-n-greet with Uncle Walt himself. But, that kind of enthusiasm for an attraction would be a good thing.

My reasoning for also using the Falcon for the Death Star destruction sequence was the cockpit (seating for 4) could lend itself to a more realistic experience it relation to the movie. And it was the last ship to blast out of the core. Plus, the pow wow with Akbar could be a part of story setup (This could be duplicated in multiple rooms during the queue to allow for smaller groups and to to keep the crowds flowing).

twebber55

coaster with u going down the terminal to blow up death star with han saying "you re all clear kid now lets blow this thing and get out of here"..that would be pretty sweet

AEfx

With good reason.

I am *not* someone that thinks Disney needs to reinvent the wheel every time they have a new attraction - actually, I'm the opposite. I think we should have EMV rides in every park - it is a spectacular ride system.

But Soarin' really is just a screen they dangle you in front of. Yeah, the guy who is in the Travel Channel special talking about how he invented the chair-lift part is great and all, and Soarin' is popular (in a park with very few rides to begin with, and even less that most everyone can ride). But, it's dangling you in front of a screen.

I want to see real objects - experience real environments. That's what Disney is to me - not glorified video screens. There is nothing wrong with using them to enhance things - that's why Potter is so utterly successful, as it mixes both real and virtual sets - but any ride with a screen as it's primary base is just not that exciting to many of us.

NoChesterHester

With good reason.

I am *not* someone that thinks Disney needs to reinvent the wheel every time they have a new attraction - actually, I'm the opposite. I think we should have EMV rides in every park - it is a spectacular ride system.

But Soarin' really is just a screen they dangle you in front of. Yeah, the guy who is in the Travel Channel special talking about how he invented the chair-lift part is great and all, and Soarin' is popular (in a park with very few rides to begin with, and even less that most everyone can ride). But, it's dangling you in front of a screen.

I want to see real objects - experience real environments. That's what Disney is to me - not glorified video screens. There is nothing wrong with using them to enhance things - that's why Potter is so utterly successful, as it mixes both real and virtual sets - but any ride with a screen as it's primary base is just not that exciting to many of us.

I disagree with nothing stated here.

My point was not that Soarin was awesome and should form the basis for new attractions... but rather that people on these boards attribute things that they know, like Soarin', to things that they don't, like the rumored Speeder bike attraction. Every single rumor of a new attraction quickly degenerates into "I'm going to be so disappointed with this Soarin 2.0."

Folks need to come to grips with the fact that screen based attractions are here to stay and if done correctly are incredible. Just look at what they did with Mystic Manor. And just because there is a screen doesn't mean it is Soarin 2.0.

Captain Neo

I disagree with nothing stated here.

My point was not that Soarin was awesome and should form the basis for new attractions... but rather that people on these boards attribute things that they know, like Soarin', to things that they don't, like the rumored Speeder bike attraction. Every single rumor of a new attraction quickly degenerates into "I'm going to be so disappointed with this Soarin 2.0."

Folks need to come to grips with the fact that screen based attractions are here to stay and if done correctly are incredible. Just look at what they did with Mystic Manor. And just because there is a screen doesn't mean it is Soarin 2.0.

If you actually listen to Jim Hill's podcast you would understand that what he is describing sounds very similar to Soarin. Mystic Manor you ride around on a track through a show building and there happen to be video screens that is different from sitting on a speeder bike with a screen infront of you and they simulate you traveling through the forest at high speeds by having the bike move like a simulator and having wind and smells being blown on you.

NoChesterHester

If you actually listen to Jim Hill's podcast you would understand that what he is describing sounds very similar to Soarin. Mystic Manor you ride around on a track through a show building and there happen to be video screens that is different from sitting on a speeder bike with a screen infront of you and they simulate you traveling through the forest at high speeds by having the bike move like a simulator and having wind and smells being blown on you.

I "actually" have listened to it. In my opinion Jim was directly regurgitating a concept that was vaguely described to him. I put about as much stock in the actual ride description as if it were told to me by the Dark Lord of the Sith himself.

This board is the first to trash Jim Hill, but then he says something nebulous and conceptual about a new attraction an everyone takes him literally.

doctornick

You must have listened to a different podcast than I because he talked about the ride in the context of (1) there being a "race" with a winner between two groups that would go simultaneously and (2) the "dome" with the screens would be all around you. It sounded quite clearly to me that from the scant details that the ride vehicles would move in some capacity around the space and that the effects would be around you, not just in front of you. (He specifically says that "projections are around you" on the podcast.)

But it wasn't very specific to be sure, so who knows? I don't see how you got the idea that it "very similar" to Soarin' at all since he didn't (to my recollection) talk about people being suspended nor did it indicate that you would be facing a screen on one side only. In fact, if you are sitting in such a way that emulates being on a bike (with either the Tron light cycle or Endor speeder bike theme), I don't see how it would work in a setup like Soarin' where you are sitting upright and facing a large screen.

So, yeah, I think @NoChesterHester is exactly right that someone says "screens" and suddenly it becomes "just like Soarin''. Odd.

doctornick

Agree with this. i don't understand why they don't use that tech more. There's certainly an argument that they should worry less about developing new ride tech and more about developing great uses of the existing tech. Probably a better use of resources (money).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom