Star Wars Land

IWant2GoNow

If they were to put a Millennium Falcon walk-through I feel it would be best to put this as part of the queue to some ride. I would say in front of Star Tours, if they got rid of the Endor theme there, since it is a space port. MF parked out front would be fitting.

Kman101

If they were to put a Millennium Falcon walk-through I feel it would be best to put this as part of the queue to some ride. I would say in front of Star Tours, if they got rid of the Endor theme there, since it is a space port. MF parked out front would be fitting.

Not a bad idea. Because otherwise, I dread the line to even walk through it if it does end up being a part of the land.

bhg469

Star wars weekends need to spill into the rest of the parks already. And that hyperspace hoolpa nonsense... Don't get me started!

Skibum1970

Only people who haven't ridden both.

Having ridden both, I certainly wouldn't compare one to the other. It's like comparing "It's A Small World" to "Pirates of the Caribbean" since they both use water flumes for the ride vehicle. Of course, I think screens can be used to great effect. Forbidden Journey, Spiderman, Transformers, Mystic Manor and other great rides use screens effectively. If I understand what you're saying, it seems that people complain about screens just to nitpick. Since UNI has effectively used screens, some people want to complain as if to throw UNI down.

doctornick

You can't have a walkthrough anything at WDW. It would get trashed.

Other walk throughs have existed and continue to exist -- Swiss Family Robinson Tree House, for example. I don't see why a walk through Millenium Falcon would not work, though I agree they'd have to make it resistent to all the crowds that it would see. I'm envisioning some parts that would be interactive and meant to be touched and others just for show. But, yeah, people touching and damaging parts would be a concern -- so maybe there would have to be a walkway with ropes inside.

Alternatively, they could have an appropriately in character CM who is a guide for a Millenium Falcon tour, perhaps with just showing the cockpit where someone as Chewbacca could be there "preparing the ship for launch".

Magenta Panther

Other walk throughs have existed and continue to exist -- Swiss Family Robinson Tree House, for example. I don't see why a walk through Millenium Falcon would not work, though I agree they'd have to make it resistent to all the crowds that it would see. I'm envisioning some parts that would be interactive and meant to be touched and others just for show. But, yeah, people touching and damaging parts would be a concern -- so maybe there would have to be a walkway with ropes inside.

Or maybe just some Gamorrian guards...

images

Or maybe there could be an interactive element, where the mechanics of the Falcon could conk out and guests could punch a panel to get everything started again... :p

Captain Neo

I "actually" have listened to it. In my opinion Jim was directly regurgitating a concept that was vaguely described to him. I put about as much stock in the actual ride description as if it were told to me by the Dark Lord of the Sith himself.

This board is the first to trash Jim Hill, but then he says something nebulous and conceptual about a new attraction an everyone takes him literally.

Jim Hill is usually accurate with his insider reports. I keep seeing people badmouthing both him and Al Lutz and I have no clue why since 95% of the time what I read from them usually ends up happening.

El Grupo

Jim Hill is usually accurate with his insider reports. I keep seeing people badmouthing both him and Al Lutz and I have no clue why since 95% of the time what I read from them usually ends up happening.

Not being an avid follower of Jim Hill, I'm not aware of his accuracy. Would you be so kind as to provide some examples where he first reported major insider info in the last five years that proved to be correct?

Skibum1970

There needs to be a good mix of screen based attractions as well as physical sets and animatronics too. When it gets to all screens, it really loses some of the realism.

Completely agree. The rides I mentioned move through sets and the screens are embedded in each set. Looking at Mystic Manor, the screens become part of the ride but are not all of the ride. Screens do allow more freedom in ride story as the designers aren't limited to animatronics and the uses for concrete, plaster, Styrofoam, or other building materials. In Star Tours, the "space cam" shows a neat view of the area surrounding the space port. Good use of a screen..

Sue_Vongello

I don't think the board or people bashing him was about accuracy of his rumor info ... in fact I think all usually felt either mezzo-mezzo or good about him. The turning point was that sell out trash article he wrote basically chastising anyone who criticized TDO for not investing in the parks. He used irrelevant data, misplaced information, and flat out misrepresentation to make a nonsensical point which smelt very highly of a TDO pay off ... that is why people gave him a hard time (and I might add rightly so) but ... he is a good writer, has been doing this a long time, and is somewhat connected ... so doubting his rumors is not really what people are doing, at least I don't think.

PeterAlt

Hey, don't knock Jim Hill! I was among his early audience and passed on info that I came across. He's been very accurate and informative - as well as entertaining. I think the problem of recent accuracy has to do with the fact that management never knows what it wants to do and keeps changing its mind on what it's doing. Jim picks up something at times that is still undecided or thrown at all together by the time he gets it. This is not his fault. It gives a good look at the process a project must go though before it is finally given the green light. At that, he has done an outstanding job!

Thrill

Hey, don't knock Jim Hill! I was among his early audience and passed on info that I came across. He's been very accurate and informative - as well as entertaining. I think the problem of recent accuracy has to do with the fact that management never knows what it wants to do and keeps changing its mind on what it's doing. Jim picks up something at times that is still undecided or thrown at all together by the time he gets it. This is not his fault. It gives a good look at the process a project must go though before it is finally given the green light. At that, he has done an outstanding job!

This is a really good assessment.

People can bash Jim Hill for inaccuracy all they want, but at the end of the day, he's almost as trustworthy as Disney themselves. Remember Hyperion Wharf and the Fairies mini-land? Thought so. Hell, Pandora and del Toro's Haunted Mansion movie might both be vaporware as well.

doctornick

OK, I skipped over about 20 pages. Someone give me the cliff notes on the current Star Wars expansion rumor.

Supposedly, there are multiple different plans in play. It's possible that TDO has not settled on a specific plan or they have settled on one but the information isn't certain.

One concensus seems to be that there will be a "speeder bike" ride themed to Endor/Episode VI in the location where Indiana Jones now sits. It's not clear if this will be a "bike coaster" by Vekoma (which is what is going into Shanghai for a Tron light cycle ride) or a screen based ride where two large groups of people apparently race inside a dome with projections (which Jim Hill has described).

There is definitely plans for a Mos Eisley Cantina. Hill suggests it will be located in a new building where Echo Lake now is. Others have said it would be replacing Mama Melrose. I would think the location would depend on which explantion plan is used.

It doesn't seem like Backlot Express is being considered for the cantina. One site said it would be replaced by a kid friendly ride. I think Hill suggested that it would remain a quick serve with new Star Wars theming.

There's some sort of plans for a children friendly ride. Hill says it will be a spinner themed to X-wings and located where the Jedi Academy stage is right now.

Star Tours will be unchanged as a ride, but may get a new entrance so that the scneary won't be set up like "props" but will be realistic Star Wars stuff.

There will be an indoor Jedi Training Academy. Possibly in the Sounds Dangerous theater, possible in the space currently occupied by Muppetvision. I haven't seen details about this, although previous decriptions from when it was planned a few eyars ago included an AA Yoda (probably like Lumiere in ETWB)

A walk through Millenium Falcon is being considered (I think one is also being planned/considered for Paris).

Anyone have anything else?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom