Star Wars Land

GrumpyFan

According to several people, Avatar is still moving ahead. This doesn't have impact on that.

Of course there is more noise about Star Wars. Avatar was a summertime short lived phenomenon, Star Wars is part of our culture.

I get that, I was just wondering if this is being pushed with a higher priority due to Avatar's delay. Because, if I remember correctly, Avatar was supposedly being targeted to be completed by 2016, but with the pace it's moving, it seems like it's going to be much farther out.
And, my comment was more about the "noise" and rumors of Star Wars land and Carsland in comparison to the rumors of Avatar, not to the popularity of the films or culture, which is pretty much a given. It just seems like there is a lot more leaking in regards to Star Wars land and/or other potential expansions at DHS than there ever was with Avatar leading me to believe that this one is being heavily pushed for completion well before Avatar.

CinematicFusion

I suspect that, if there is a Star Wars expansion coming, the budget is much more than $200 million. My comment was really just focusing on the sheer dumbness of the yahoo piece. Two seconds of research would confirm multiple expansions bigger than $200 million.

Ok, this is just a dumb statement by whoever wrote this piece. If it was going to "dwarf any other Disney-related expansion in its recent history", it'd have to cost a heckuva lot more than $200 million. Bad journalism.

I think it's taken out of context as he has been writing several pieces on the expansion (Orlando business Journal...Yahoo is just taken it's new from that source)

It just might be the biggest expansion in Walt Disney World history if Avatar, Pixar Place (Cars Dark Ride & Monsters Coaster), Star Wars Land are all built at the same time and announced at D3 in August.
It could be between 800-1.5 billion dollars. Which would put it at the largest expansion ever. (using today's dollars as the metric, if you used total build out...the largest expansion would be in the 80's, all about how it is spun.)

It's starting to sound like Disney is about to launch a massive expansion with several key pieces. So no, Star Wars land on it's own wont be the single biggest expansion...it's just a part of the bigger picture.

CinematicFusion

"Does this mean we should temper our expectations about big new ride announcements during this year’s Expo?
DAVE FISHER, Walt Disney Imagineering: We’ll be using the Expo as an opportunity to really give fans a look into the inner workings of Walt Disney Imagineering — especially in our “Imagineering Open House” pavilion on the D23 Expo show floor. Fans with a keen eye might spot clues about work currently in development, but we will not be making any new product announcements at the Expo this year. However, we have a few surprises in store…"
So...maybe we won't see anything and all this is just the hopes and dreams of fans to see something exciting and new at the parks.
They might just be showing Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and the New shopping expansion in Downtown Disney.
That would be a huge letdown..... Universal would be drinking champaign and smiling ear to ear.

NoChesterHester

"Does this mean we should temper our expectations about big new ride announcements during this year’s Expo?
DAVE FISHER, Walt Disney Imagineering: We’ll be using the Expo as an opportunity to really give fans a look into the inner workings of Walt Disney Imagineering — especially in our “Imagineering Open House” pavilion on the D23 Expo show floor. Fans with a keen eye might spot clues about work currently in development, but we will not be making any new product announcements at the Expo this year. However, we have a few surprises in store…"
So...maybe we won't see anything and all this is just the hopes and dreams of fans to see something exciting and new at the parks.
They might just be showing Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and the New shopping expansion in Downtown Disney.
That would be a huge letdown..... Universal would be drinking champaign and smiling ear to ear.

Parks an Resorts presentation is usually where new things are presented. They may just be stating that in the Imagineering Open House won't be showing off the new stuff.

But... If that is actually the case D23 is done. Last expo was a serious letdown for many. If there aren't any substantive announcements for Parks and Resorts the open rebellion will be epic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
"Does this mean we should temper our expectations about big new ride announcements during this year’s Expo?Universal would be drinking champaign and smiling ear to ear.[/B]

They already are. Potter (both phases) is just the start compared to what's to come.

Sadly any DHS Pixar expansion outside of a Cars theme is looking less likely.

Magenta Panther

They already are. Potter (both phases) is just the start compared to what's to come.

When is Iger leaving again...?

So anyway, what about the Star Wars expansion? Or is there actually going to be one?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I get that, I was just wondering if this is being pushed with a higher priority due to Avatar's delay. Because, if I remember correctly, Avatar was supposedly being targeted to be completed by 2016, but with the pace it's moving, it seems like it's going to be much farther out.
And, my comment was more about the "noise" and rumors of Star Wars land and Carsland in comparison to the rumors of Avatar, not to the popularity of the films or culture, which is pretty much a given. It just seems like there is a lot more leaking in regards to Star Wars land and/or other potential expansions at DHS than there ever was with Avatar leading me to believe that this one is being heavily pushed for completion well before Avatar.

Based on what Disney has said, there is not "delay" yet. From the very beginning they have said construction would start in 2013:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/answering-your-questions-about-avatar-at-disney-parks/

doctornick

I really don't get that. Not only does that put a more narrow focus on the offerings, but I just don't see why they wouldn't give at least Monsters Inc something.

I actually thought the "makeover the Streets of America to Monstropolis" rumor made a lot of sense. It would be a relatively affordable change in theme and could use the existing layout and still provide a location for the Osborne Lights. You could plop the Laugh Floor right into the Premiere Theater, for example.

bubbles1812

Just to clarify... Are you saying that any Monsters Inc related stuff is out and that Cars is it? Or is Cars the only thing that will be coming to DHS as a whole? Sorry just wanting clarification on your "DHS Pixar expansion." I'm not exactly one for kiddie coasters but DHS could sure use that monsters inc one. Sad.

EDIT: Sorry just saw your post on the SW expansion still likely... They need " a large mount of scope"! But why do I get the feeling anything that gets approval is going to have decidedly less?

willtravel

I think I read here once someone said that Disney spreads out there costs to build whatever, to spread costs out to different quarters? From a construction point of view, does it cost less or more then to build an attraction by spreading out this cost?

NoChesterHester

I think I read here once someone said that Disney spreads out there costs to build whatever, to spread costs out to different quarters? From a construction point of view, does it cost less or more then to build an attraction by spreading out this cost?

More. Lots more. Time is overhead to a contractor - which equals money.

BUT if you are absorbing the cost directly into your capital expenditure budget then it does make financial sense to spread out the bills and absorb the small overall upcharge for additional General Conditions. The alternative is what a lot of theme parks do, they go into debt to build attractions. They pay for it all at once, and try to finish it as quickly as possible to raise their income and pay off the debt.

NoChesterHester

EDIT: Sorry just saw your post on the SW expansion still likely... They need " a large mount of scope"! But why do I get the feeling anything that gets approval is going to have decidedly less?

The negativity is rampant. Even when we get some stellar rumor immediately everyone starts trashing it rather than get excited.

Not feeling very bubbly today bubbles?

I might have to step away from this board for a bit... After the D23 slap down, the overall negativity is affecting my happiness.

bubbles1812

The negativity is rampant. Even when we get some stellar rumor immediately everyone starts trashing it rather than get excited.

Not feeling very bubbly today bubbles?

I might have to step away from this board for a bit... After the D23 slap down, the overall negativity is affecting my happiness.
I'm not bubbles because I'm a super bubbly person. *shrug* Though neither am I inherently negative. I'm a realistic person. And when it comes to Disney and announcements, I've learned to keep my expectations low.

Martin says the scope is still being decided. We know from past behavior, Disney tends to choose the "less" side of "scope." It's just the way it is. You are in for years of disappointment if you think Disney is always going to go for the "go big" option. I'm sorry all the negativity is affecting your happiness... But if you want to be upset with anyone, be upset with the Disney Co. They are responsible for the pessimism. Case in point... The imagineer saying not to expect any big announcements of new product.

bubbles1812

They are building the new FOLTK theater. Once that is done -- which we've never seen a timetable, have we? -- they'll presumably start construction in the former CMM space for Pandora.
Knowing how fast they build, I wouldn't be surprised if they completed the new theater sometime next year... You raise a good point though. I wonder if any insider has heard an internal timetable for the place??

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Knowing how fast they build, I wouldn't be surprised if they completed the new theater sometime next year... You raise a good point thought. I wonder if any insider has heard an internal timetable for the place??

There was just a permit filed for the FotLK project and it did not have an explicit expiration date which means it defaults to a one year expiration. This would indicate to me that they plan to have it complete in well less then a year. No guarantees since they can file a new permit to extend the expiration, but it is a good indicator.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom