Star Wars Land

CinematicFusion

Im not. And never said I was absolutely believing it would be 200 million. And $200 million is a lot of money... BUT surely you've noticed the way Disney spends its money? And how it manages it when coming to building attractions? The Little Mermaid ride (a C ticket AND a clone at that) with an E ticket pretty princess queue cost 150 million if I remember correctly. So my point is, 200 million doesn't necessarily buy you what you seem to think it will, especially if Disney is building it. And it doesn't buy you the biggest expansion in DHS history. Sorry. A bigger budget is needed... So if that ends up being an accurate sum (and I'm not claiming it necessarily is), it won't cut it.

It is possible that Star Wars, Avatar, Pixar expansion will be announced at the same time in August, thus being the largest expansion ever at WDW. Would imagine a billion dollar expansion. We will find out in August.

bubbles1812

A billion is total development cost. I don't know if you are being obtuse on purpose or if I'm not explaining myself well.
Eh.. Probably a bit a both, though I'm actually not trying to annoy you. My point is, that a budget of 200 million doesn't buy you much... Which you essentially agreed to. It buys you empty buildings. It's great that you can separate out the hard construction cost from the development cost, but the fact is you need both to get to new attractions. Carsland wouldn't exactly be Carsland without the development costs... And generally in articles like that, they are reporting total project cost. So if 200 million turns out to be a correct figure (again not saying it necessarily is)... It simply won't get you to a giant expansion, especially not the way Disney manages its costs. It buys you a ride and maybe a few shops. (Again look at Little Mermaid.. They didnt exactly have to develop it much since it was a clone. So that 150 million price tag was mostly construction costs).

bubbles1812

It is possible that Star Wars, Avatar, Pixar expansion will be announced at the same time in August, thus being the largest expansion ever at WDW. Would imagine a billion dollar expansion. We will find out in August.
I actually do hope this turns out to be true... I guess I'm just trying to stay realistic in my expectations based on the company's recent past behavior.

Kman101

It's awful that WDW spent so long alienating people with their lack of updates, new rides and general maintenance that even when such promising news, like this, Carsland and even Avatarland (though I think that stems from many just not liking the movie, which I admit I had no desire to rush out and see) comes out. Guess it falls under 'too little too late'.

However, it does seem to me that they're finally getting off their butts but it sounds like it's just because of the upcoming FP+ and Magic Band thing. They likely need more rides and capacity so in a sense they 'have' to build these things. They probably don't want to.

NoChesterHester

Eh.. Probably a bit a both, though I'm actually not trying to annoy you. My point is, that a budget of 200 million doesn't buy you much... Which you essentially agreed to. It buys you empty buildings. It's great that you can separate out the hard construction cost from the development cost, but the fact is you need both to get to new attractions. Carsland wouldn't exactly be Carsland without the development costs... And generally in articles like that, they are reporting total project cost. So if 200 million turns out to be a correct figure (again not saying it necessarily is)... It simply won't get you to a giant expansion, especially not the way Disney manages its costs. It buys you a ride and maybe a few shops. (Again look at Little Mermaid.. They didnt exactly have to develop it much since it was a clone. So that 150 million price tag was mostly construction costs).

Again, completely depends on who you ask and their point of view.

Ask an architect what a project costs and get back $100 million because that is what the construction contract reads.

Ask the ride installer and he says $50 million because he isn't aware of what anyone else is doing.

Ask the banker and he says $140 million, because that is what he financed.

Ask the developer and he says $250 million because it includes all of the above plus all the other costs of doing a project. He had to pay the R&D. He had to pay the architect. He had to commission the art... The list goes on.

Who was asked? The list is far longer than above, and every person will have a different answer.

bubbles1812

Ask an architect what a project costs and get back $100 million because that is what the construction contract reads.

Ask the ride installer and he says $50 million because he isn't aware of what anyone else is doing.

Ask the developer and he says $250 million because it includes all of the above plus all the other costs of doing a project. He had to pay the R&D. He had to pay the architect. He had to commission the art... The list goes on.

Who was asked? The list is far longer than above, and every person will have a different answer.
I do get your point. But I stand by my words... And if 200 million or so is the final project cost, it gets you exactly what you put forth... Empty buildings. But I get it. Your heart is twitterpatted at the thought of an extensive Star Wars expansion so you can't face the possibility that the amount of money ultimately spent might not get you there. For the record, I hope your hopes come true, and we do get a good expansion, maybe even the most extensive in DHS history. I'm sorry I'm not quite as optimistic, but no insiders thus far have indicated the SW land expansion will be quite as big as that. To each their own I guess.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

But usually when numbers like this are thrown around they are the total budget for the project. So if I read a news article that says a new ride at Disney will cost $200 million, I take that to mean the entire budget for the ride is $200 million.

bubbles1812

But usually when numbers like this are thrown around they are the total budget for the project. So if I read a news article that says a new ride at Disney will cost $200 million, I take that to mean the entire budget for the ride is $200 million.
Which was exactly my point...

OSUPhantom

Apparently screamscape is hearing rumors that a Star Wars E-ticket will replace The Great Movie Ride. I know I know, screamscape = grain of salt, HOWEVER if this is true I will be devastated. I may be in the minority but I love The Great Movie Ride. Sure it needs an update but gone completely? I would be livid. Not even Star Wars could convince me to let it go.

G00fyDad

Apparently screamscape is hearing rumors that a Star Wars E-ticket will replace The Great Movie Ride. I know I know, screamscape = grain of salt, HOWEVER if this is true I will be devastated. I may be in the minority but I love The Great Movie Ride. Sure it needs an update but gone completely? I would be livid. Not even Star Wars could convince me to let it go.

They are not replacing TGMR.

Shadowgate

I don't see this happening unless they are truly gutting the idea of it being a movie themed park. Yes, Star War which I love is a movie but this ride celebrates the movies in general and is the center piece of the park. I also like the ride and although it could use some work/updates it is a good ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I think we have now heard every possible permutation of a DHS re-do. I think someone in Disney is leaking these rumors just to confuse us. :)

bubbles1812

No way this happens. Of all the rumors that have come from that site, this one seems the most far fetched. To put in an E ticket Star Wars ride there would not only require them to destroy the theater, but they would have to do some major remodeling (which could possibly involve Pixar place) behind there and possibly in front too. They just have better plots of land available to do a Star Wars E ticket on than smack dab at the center of the park. I know they are considering a Star Wars expansion but never did I get the impression they wanted it to be the absolute focal point of the park.

Kman101

Who cares why they are building anything, as long as they build something new.

Oh, I agree. Guess I could have expanded on my post a little more. I'm very happy for whatever they decide to do but I still see the other side of things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom