Star Wars Land

RandySavage

Maybe they're using Bremen's simulator-coaster hybrid as a jumping off point:
spacepark_galaxieexpress.jpg

doctornick

Tim's site has a pretty thorough rundown (hopefully linking there isn't frowned upon):

#mce_temp_url#

Thank you for that.

I think it sounds interesting. My biggest concern off hand is how the theming will work -- it seems to jump all over the place with Mos Eisley cantina (restaurant) being next Endor (speeder bike ride) and the X-wing ride (in space) being there. What would the Jedi Academy be themed to on the outside? Would Star Tours still have an Endor outside? It's a tight area, so I was hoping for more tight theming to enhance the experience.

If the X-wing is just a simple spinner, I'd be disappointed. Don't get me wrong -- DHs desperately needs kid friendly rides, so I agree with that in principle. But surely they can come up with a different type of flat ride that could work with the theme; we don't need yet another of the same type of ride for WDW even with being able to control the wings. At the very least, I would hope there might be a component where you have X-wings versus Tie Fighters integrated in the ride.

The Endor Speeder Bike sounds interesting to me. Seemingly different from the Tron bike coaster, but if it has ride vehicles on tracks that move then I think it could be interesting. Do the two tracks interact or is it just two different self-contained theaters?

What's going on with American Idol? If they get rid of Echo Lake, it would be solidly within the "Star Wars" land -- I would hope that this space would be used as part of that expansion.

I really hope that a Millennium Falcon walk through finds it's way into the expansion. It would be a huge hit and would be relatively cheap, I would think, compared to a ride. And I think it would provide some great opportunities for Next Gen interactions with guests. I don't see why that couldn't be added to the current backstage areas -- where the parade storgage buildings are.

bhg469

They're killed by stormtroopers, who burn the canyon compound in which they're living and raising Luke. Luke, who was away when this happened, returns home to find their charred remains just outside the smoking shell of his home. Photo.

They could do a more jovial "Uncle Owens Blue Milkshakes"

ChrisM

Thank you for that.

I think it sounds interesting. My biggest concern off hand is how the theming will work -- it seems to jump all over the place with Mos Eisley cantina (restaurant) being next Endor (speeder bike ride) and the X-wing ride (in space) being there. What would the Jedi Academy be themed to on the outside? Would Star Tours still have an Endor outside? It's a tight area, so I was hoping for more tight theming to enhance the experience.

If the X-wing is just a simple spinner, I'd be disappointed. Don't get me wrong -- DHs desperately needs kid friendly rides, so I agree with that in principle. But surely they can come up with a different type of flat ride that could work with the theme; we don't need yet another of the same type of ride for WDW even with being able to control the wings. At the very least, I would hope there might be a component where you have X-wings versus Tie Fighters integrated in the ride.

The Endor Speeder Bike sounds interesting to me. Seemingly different from the Tron bike coaster, but if it has ride vehicles on tracks that move then I think it could be interesting. Do the two tracks interact or is it just two different self-contained theaters?

What's going on with American Idol? If they get rid of Echo Lake, it would be solidly within the "Star Wars" land -- I would hope that this space would be used as part of that expansion.

I really hope that a Millennium Falcon walk through finds it's way into the expansion. It would be a huge hit and would be relatively cheap, I would think, compared to a ride. And I think it would provide some great opportunities for Next Gen interactions with guests. I don't see why that couldn't be added to the current backstage areas -- where the parade storgage buildings are.

I agree that theming could be a concern, but I'm assuming they will either split it into a Mos Eisley / Endor Forest transition or it will largely be all Mos Eisley with no thematic clash since all of the attractions appear to be largely indoors (I'm making an assumption about the speeder bike attraction here).

As for the spinner, it would be awfully easy to do this very poorly. I'm hoping they spend some time making it more of a "junior X-Wing trainer" sort of ride with decent sized vehicles and not just Dumbo-sized cartoon X-Wings.

doctornick

As for the spinner, it would be awfully easy to do this very poorly. I'm hoping they spend some time making it more of a "junior X-Wing trainer" sort of ride with decent sized vehicles and not just Dumbo-sized cartoon X-Wings.

Exactly. There's a lot of potential for a high quality, yet kid-friendly ride thmed to the X-wing fighters. My concern is that if they are putting it "in the area current occupied by the Jedi Training Academy", that doesn't seem like much room to me at all. Which tends to point towards a more mediocre execution.

DisneyWall-E

Tim's site has a pretty thorough rundown (hopefully linking there isn't frowned upon):

#mce_temp_url#
WANT the first one please.
Also want a Millennium Falcon Walk through. But I would have to question the feasibility of this. The Millennium Falcon is not a huge ship and would have a line a mile long. I know if I was in there I would want to take my time and not be hurried thru.

DocMcHulk

If Star Wars Land sucks up Indy and Echo lake, what becomes of Hollywood & Vine and 50s Prime Time?

I assume they are gone?

FrankLapidus

Is it wrong that I'm more excited about a Millennium Falcon walk-through than I am about a Speeder Bike e-ticket?

The plans sound great either way, whether or not they become a reality is another matter. There is so much potential in this expansion and Disney have a real chance to make a statement with it.

NoChesterHester

With the rumor that Echo Lake is the spot where this expansion will occur, how will 50s Prime Time and the Tune In Lounge work with this? Those are wildly popular restaurants.

Also, it kind of makes me sad because Echo Lake works thematically right now. The same can't be said of anything behind Star Tours or Pixar Place at the Studios. One would think they would want to address the problem that there isn't ANYONE in the back half of the park. This plan would concentrate the congestion and make 10K feel like 35.

I don't buy the "back of the park" problem as discussed on the Disney Dish Podcast. It isn't like you see this from the interstate and have some impulse pull in factor. That sounds like some random excuse making to me. Going to Disney is a deliberate event. What says you @lentesta hmmm? Seems like you would want the biggest draw as far back in the park as possible to sell merchandise, drinks ,and food as they came to a fro...

twebber55

With the rumor that Echo Lake is the spot where this expansion will occur, how will 50s Prime Time and the Tune In Lounge work with this? Those are wildly popular restaurants.

Also, it kind of makes me sad because Echo Lake works thematically right now. The same can't be said of anything behind Star Tours or Pixar Place at the Studios. One would think they would want to address the problem that there isn't ANYONE in the back half of the park. This plan would concentrate the congestion and make 10K feel like 35.

I don't buy the "back of the park" problem as discussed on the Disney Dish Podcast. It isn't like you see this from the interstate and have some impulse pull in factor. That sounds like some random excuse making to me. Going to Disney is a deliberate event. What says you @lentesta hmmm? Seems like you would want the biggest draw as far back in the park as possible to sell merchandise, drinks ,and food as they came to a fro...
agree and it evenly distributes crowds away from TSMM, TOT, RNRC

Turtle

So I assume that the speeder bike attraction would be a bit like Forbidden Journey/Transformers mixing large screens with in-between set pieces?

Or would it just be screens and nothing else?

doctornick

If Star Wars Land sucks up Indy and Echo lake, what becomes of Hollywood & Vine and 50s Prime Time?

I assume they are gone?

By all accounts they are staying. I'm assuming they'd be made part of "Hollywood Blvd" (in terms of "land") if this Echo Lake scenario comes to pass -- Echo Lake and Hollywood Blvd are both already "pink" areas on the DHS park map, so it's not a big stretch to put them together.

doctornick

Well, obviously, the Cars rumors are what are geared towards having people spread out to the back corner of the park. Whether it works depends on the execution -- I do think it would be helped by having more attractions than just those themed to Cars (I'm still hoping for something Monsters Inc themed at least).

Anyway, this Star Wars stuff would help move some of the crowds away from Sunset Blvd at a minimum.

Captain Neo

That doesn't mesh with what others have said who think it will be a bike coaster, similar in format to the Tron coaster planned for Shanghai but with a Star Wars/Endor theme. It would be build on the IJ stunt show area, which is a big enough plot of lang to accomodate a typical Disney type coaster.

That said, if they were to build a screen type attraction it could easily be something where the ride vehicle moves around a la Spider Man and be quite different from Soarin'.
\

Who said this though? If it wasn't Lee, Spirit, or Martin I'm going to be very skeptical. The "Tron coaster" was always just a rumor and maybe it was nicknamed that but the actual project was a Tron Simulator. The version Jim Hill describes sounded 1)more realistic 2) fit Disney's MO of modest video screen based attractions and 3)Actually came out of Tony Baxters mouth when he was talking to Eddie Sotto at D23!

Also as an aside I remember a few years ago Al Lutz when talking about future TL proposals mentioned that Innoventions was to be replaced with a dome that would have an attraction inside it (probably was gonna be themed to tron or avatar at the time) and from what insiders have said James Cameron got mad that Disney wanted the big ride for Avatar land to be a soarin clone which this essentially is.

Mike730

I sure hope they go no where. I'm assuming Echo Lake, the lake itself, would be pretty much replaced by a building (or a few). If they really wanted to keep those restaurants in place, the only thing I can see them doing is lining the side of the new building/s that face Tune-in and Prime Time with facades or small theme appropriate shops.

But thats got to be a rough transition between lands.

Also, I don't believe I've read anything about The AIE? How could that factor in?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom